lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Dear Tom's Hardware Community,

I have been looking to get a new monitor for gaming PC as the one I have now I would like to use as my second monitor.

Do you maybe have any suggestions?

Here are a few things of my preference for a monitor:
  • flat monitor screen (so not curved)
  • ability to regulate the height (would be nice, but it's okay if not a possibility)
  • ability to regulate the tilt (forward & backward! not sideways! --> HOWEVER not a must)
  • around 160euros
  • LED screen
  • option to have a "calmer"/"less-intense" effect on the eyes (especially at night) --- hope I make sense with what I mean :p
These are my PC specs:
CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
GPU: VGA Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC (not overclocked)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H310M H
Memory/RAM: Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 2666

Let me know what your recommendations are! The price is a bit flexible but definitely not too expensive!

(Edit, I asked before what specs I should look for in a monitor and I have now done enough research to know. However, my question about what monitors you guys might recommend still stands! :) )

Last edited:
Solution
First I recommend getting Display Port Cable, it shouldn't cost much.

Get This Monitor
AOC 24G2U 23.8" 144Hz Free-Sync(G-Sync Compatible)

Get this a little extra payment for lot better IPS panel and low refresh rate. Perfect monitor at that budget range. Yes it supports G-Sync for 1080p but you need Display Port cable for that so get one.

I know I am asking you to spend 25-35 bucks over your budget but is completely worth it.

I recommend getting Amazon Basics DP Cable if possible
[URL...
There's one very important factor in deciding on a monitor that I don't see listed.

Panel Type.

IPS panels produce the best colors and have the best viewing angles. Problem in the past has been that their response time has been slow, but this is not as true as it used to be. IPS has pretty much caught up.

TN panels are the cheaper monitors, but have faster response times. Color reproduction isn't anywhere near as good. Viewing angles suffer.

Then there's VA panels which are often referred to as a happy medium.

Reactions: lunarfreakz

lunarfreakz

Honorable
May 7, 2018
I am not sure if I am allowed to "bump" my thread but if I am not, please let me know what I can do to bring attention to my question.

Does anyone have any suggestions? They do not have to match up with every specification that I mentioned, of course!

First I recommend getting Display Port Cable, it shouldn't cost much.

Get This Monitor
AOC 24G2U 23.8" 144Hz Free-Sync(G-Sync Compatible)

Get this a little extra payment for lot better IPS panel and low refresh rate. Perfect monitor at that budget range. Yes it supports G-Sync for 1080p but you need Display Port cable for that so get one.

I know I am asking you to spend 25-35 bucks over your budget but is completely worth it.

I recommend getting Amazon Basics DP Cable if possible
Amazon Basics DP 1.2 3mtr

Otherwise get any other DP cable with good enough reviews, just don't cheap out on it. Spend around good 10 bucks for it.

Reactions: lunarfreakz
Solution