Question Advice on GPU for $150 budget? GTX 1650 seems like a major waste of money.

Joe_182

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
Hello,

So i have a main rig with a 1080 ti. But i am building a MAME arcade machine and was looking to get lower mid level GPU so i could not only run shaders and filters for the CRT effects, but also be able to use Gsync of Freesysnc to keep screen tearing at bay.

I have always been a Nvidia/EVGA guy. But it seems the GTX 1650 is a major waste of money with just about no potential resellable value since no demand. I likely won't need the extra power, but it couldn't hurt to get more for my money and have a card that would be in demand if i were to sell later.

I have never used AMD cards before and was wondering if i should just stick with what i know and like even though it has bad permormance/$$ ratio, or go out of my comfort zone and get something like an RX 570? Which is in fact better and cheaper than the 1650....

And if i did go AMD, which brand should i go with?

Thanks so much

Reactions: Chanukadc

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RX570 would be the way to go if you want to spend that much.

ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Sapphire all quite reputable.

I use a GT1030 in my daily driver. Useful for being the lowest power GPU with an HDMI 2.0 output (Though I think that might fall to the RX550 now)

Joe_182

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
RX570 would be the way to go if you want to spend that much.

ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Sapphire all quite reputable.

I use a GT1030 in my daily driver. Useful for being the lowest power GPU with an HDMI 2.0 output (Though I think that might fall to the RX550 now)
Thanks, yeah i was leaning towards the rx 570. I didn't recognize most of the brands so i was bit hesitant on what to buy. Like powercolor for example.

I found a good deal on the ASUS rx 570 on ebay brand new for $105 but he has 15 of them and i am pretty sure they are resealed/mining cards. Only 70 feedback, all positive though. Could be wrong, just a hunch. Not sure why someone who barely sells on ebay randomly ends up with 15 GPU's.

FatheredPuma81

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
I'd personally suggest grabbing an RX 580 or GTX 1060 used for $120 or $150 although they're both probably way overkill. You could also go for a used RX 570 for $80, a used RX 560 for $60 (if you can find one for that price), or maybe a GTX 750 Ti which goes for $40 and should be good enough for arcade emulation?
I'd say it's likely safe to assume that guy either got a great deal from some place that ordered a ton or is as you'd expect trying to pass off used as new.

People say Sapphire is the closest brand to EVGA although I can't confirm this. I personally use a Powercolor RX 580 I got used for $120.