Question Advice on GPU overclocking for a beginner ?

Ootsie87

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm an absolute novice GPU Overclocker but I'm looking to get the most out of 3080 Ti in the safest way possible. I'm planning to use GPU Tweak III to do some simple overclocking and have found this video by ROG Global:

View: https://youtu.be/nf1T2QwKkGY

The 2nd option looks interesting but I wanted to get some additional perspectives on setting target GPU temp and power targets to the maximum (as the video recommends for 30 series hardware). Is this OK? Is it safe to do so?

My system specs are:

Asus ROG Strix z490 e gaming.
Intel i5 10600K
Corsair H100I Platinum CPU cooler
2 x 16GB sticks of Corsair Dominator RAM @ 3200 MHz
Asus ROG Strix 3080 Ti
Corsair CP-9020151-UK AX850 80 Plus Titanium Certified Power Supply Unit, AX Series, 850 W, Fully Modular

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
I understand the desire to obtain more performance via the 3080Ti.

However, that said, what specific problems or issues are occurring?

For the most part, overclocking may gain little noticeable improvement in system performance at the cost of more power, higher temperatures, and so forth.

Create your own test plan.

Read/review all available component documentation to verify what is and is not supported with respect to hardware, software, and configuration options.

My suggestion is to go forward very slowly, using small changes, and make only one change at a time. Allow time between changes. Some issues may not immediately appear.

Determine if system performance improves in any noticeable or preferably measurable manner with...

Ralston18

Titan
I understand the desire to obtain more performance via the 3080Ti.

However, that said, what specific problems or issues are occurring?

For the most part, overclocking may gain little noticeable improvement in system performance at the cost of more power, higher temperatures, and so forth.

Create your own test plan.

Read/review all available component documentation to verify what is and is not supported with respect to hardware, software, and configuration options.

My suggestion is to go forward very slowly, using small changes, and make only one change at a time. Allow time between changes. Some issues may not immediately appear.

Determine if system performance improves in any noticeable or preferably measurable manner with each change. Or if performance gets worse....

Keep notes about what you change, where you made the change, and the original values or settings. You may need a "do over" or otherwise undo something that went astray.

Be ready to simply stop if problems such as overheating, system instability, or otherwise start to occur. Don't ignore any error codes or warnings.

And, as always, ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the current host computer. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable. Just in case.....

Solution
If you want to fiddle, then ok.
It is nice to get something for nothing, but realize that if your card was capable of running at higher clicks, it would have been sold for a higher price as a factory overclocked model.
The downside is that you may permanently damage parts for what will be minimal gain.

zx128k

Reputable
10600k stock, with slow 3200MT/s RAM. The Asus ROG Strix 3080 Ti is already CPU limited. With a good system you could overclock to RTX 3090 levels of performance but you won't see it in games with a stock 10600k and slow DDR4 RAM.