Advice on how much to spend for a new graphics card.

Angharan

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
My current graphics card is starting to get noisier and I'm thinking about upgrading. Currently the system looks like this:
Radeon HD 5850 (1GB GDDR5)
AMD Phenom II X4 955 cpu (Black Edition)
8GB DDR3-1333 sdram
Asus M4A88T-V Evo m/b
1680x1050 lcd

My current gaming needs aren't all that demanding (Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Dragon Age) but I'm looking for something that will last a few years and that I can upgrade around.

So, if I replace the graphics card with an R9 270X like this one is it going to be held back by the rest of the system and by how much?

As far as budget goes, I could go as far as something like this R9 290 4GB but I don't want to get too far ahead when I could put that extra money towards upgrading the rest of the system sooner. So maybe I should be looking at an R7 260X like this one - cheaper obviously, but how much of an improvement would it be and how long will it last me?

I need some advice on the best use of my money. I'm not looking for specific cards (although any recommendations are more than welcome), more which ballpark I should be looking at.

Thanks.

Solution
AMD FX 8350, Asus Sabertooth 990FX 2.0, Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X. Should be right about the budget. You may want to get a CPU cooler later as the stock cooler isn't very reliable. Hell, you may even get some new RAM, HDD, and case later and you got yourself two decent computers. Sounds pretty good imo. Also, if you want me to get you an Intel/Nvidia setup instead, let me know.

Hope I was able to help. Sorry for not providing any links, I'm posting from my phone. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Angharan

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

As a starting point let's say £500 (~$750). The budget can be flexible if I can spread upgrades out over time.

Is the cpu the main bottleneck then?

Yous

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
AMD FX 8350, Asus Sabertooth 990FX 2.0, Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X. Should be right about the budget. You may want to get a CPU cooler later as the stock cooler isn't very reliable. Hell, you may even get some new RAM, HDD, and case later and you got yourself two decent computers. Sounds pretty good imo. Also, if you want me to get you an Intel/Nvidia setup instead, let me know.

Hope I was able to help. Sorry for not providing any links, I'm posting from my phone. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS