[SOLVED] Advice on how to care for laptop

Sep 2, 2020
I got an Acer Nitro AN515-54 and I want to know or learn on how to properly care for a laptop because it's my first time owning one so I had a lot of questions about it.

Can I leave the laptop always plugged in when at home? I'll mostly be using it at home but I'm worried about the battery life if I always have it plugged in. I saw a version of Acer Care Tools that had an option to stop battery from charging at 80% but the version of the tools that came installed on my system don't have that option and it says the program is up to date. Is there any way to get that feature to show up?
Is it okay to leave the laptop running overnight if I want it to download large files while i'm sleeping or is this not reccomended?
Am I supposed to use the included GPU as little as possible so it lasts longer or should I allow it to run all games and programs on it? How should I care for a GPU anyway? I've never had one before and I'd like to know.
And any other things that are common sense or am supposed to be doing when using a laptop? Thanks in advance.

Solution
If you don't see the option. Then it likely means your laptop isn't supported for charging limits.
https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/140-calibrate-your-battery-using-acer-care-center

• Take it off the charger every once in a while. Let the battery get some use.
  • Leaving it running overnight is fine.
  • GPU usage will manage itself. Although I'd use battery saver when on battery. To avoid the GPU eating through your charge.
  • Close and open the lid with a hand on each side or just one hand in the middle. Don't open/close with just one hand on the corner.
  • Don't use on soft surfaces like a bed spread. Most laptops have vents on the bottom. Needing a hard surface underneath for clearance.
  • Carry securely. Don't...
If you don't see the option. Then it likely means your laptop isn't supported for charging limits.
https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/140-calibrate-your-battery-using-acer-care-center

• Take it off the charger every once in a while. Let the battery get some use.
  • Leaving it running overnight is fine.
  • GPU usage will manage itself. Although I'd use battery saver when on battery. To avoid the GPU eating through your charge.
  • Close and open the lid with a hand on each side or just one hand in the middle. Don't open/close with just one hand on the corner.
  • Don't use on soft surfaces like a bed spread. Most laptops have vents on the bottom. Needing a hard surface underneath for clearance.
  • Carry securely. Don't pinch and carry. Scoop under your hands to lift. I prefer to then carry one handed tucked between my arm and side of body. Basically it should be a very secure grip. On some laptops pinching and lifting may damage the screen. Plus it isn't secure as it can easily slip.
  • Cleaning: I use 70% isopropyl alcohol in a dampened cloth (wrung out, not dripping). Give it a wipe and then dry with a clean dry cloth. Some surfaces don't take well to alcohol. Like some laptops have a soft surface which does poorly with alcohol. 90% is too strong. I've never had an issue with screens, hard plastic or metal finishes with alcohol. Although some warn about the screen coating and dilute to 50%. Some like to just dampen a microfiber cloth with water.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS