Advice on how to go about installing new components

pccooper

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
greetings guys

so upgrading my current rig running a fx-6300 to a ryzen 51600 with new motherboard and ram too.

how do i go about using my current HDD and SSD with the new hardware.

do i need to do a new clean install of windows maybe or any way of saving my data?

cheers guys any help really appreciated

Solution

in that case then you would have to do a clean install of both...
with a major change like that you will have to do a clean install of your OS. assuming if your OS is just on your SSD and all your data is on your HDD this should not be a problem since you only need to reinstall the OS and any files on your HDD will still be accessible. even with reinstalling the OS though you will have to reinstall all your programs.

pccooper

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

seems i have windows on both drives as it was originally win7 on the ssd but then when upgraded to windows 10 i chose to have it on the hdd aha. Thinking is it worth just completely wiping both drives then booting of a usb with win10 on then just starting from scratch? would this work?

thanks again

in that case then you would have to do a clean install of both versions of windows. when you replace a motherboard chances of your current windows install booting is slim

Solution
I did a clean install on an SSD that already had Win 10 on it, using a USB stick, and it worked fine. You can do what you want, but I'd put the OS on the SSD. The main benefit of the SSD is reading and writing speeds are much, much faster. Putting your OS on a mechanical drive eliminates the single biggest improvement that SSD can make to your system.

TRENDING THREADS