Question Advice on how to scan my main PC with a separate system.

madne$$

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Hi Members,

I've always wanted to have a backup PC that I can have another virus scanner or multiple scanners.
From this able to scan my main gaming pc for any Virus Malware.

The main PC can be off or on which ever is easier.

Wasn't sure I could build a smaller system to do this?
Install Windows on a different HDD and scan that way?
Install Windows on USB drive or something?

If I think oh did I or have I got a virus, power off, boot up the system that's built for scanning and scan my main PC.

Thoughts and advice would be great.

Madness

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I think you're worrying too much and what you are attempting to set up is more effort than it's worth.
Viruses and malware are not all that common on home pc's anymore, especially when used primarily for gaming.
Yes, you should still have a lightweight, free antivirus program installed on it. But to have a separate, backup machine dedicated to scanning your main one is not necessary at all. That is unless you do a lot of torrenting and risky web browsing of some sort...

madne$$

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
I think you're worrying too much and what you are attempting to set up is more effort than it's worth.
Viruses and malware are not all that common on home pc's anymore, especially when used primarily for gaming.
Yes, you should still have a lightweight, free antivirus program installed on it. But to have a separate, backup machine dedicated to scanning your main one is not necessary at all. That is unless you do a lot of torrenting and risky web browsing of some sort...

Thanks for your speedy reply Pshycho.

I have Norton installed atm its doing fine and I don't download much crap or visit **** [Moderator edit to remove profanity. Please remember that Tom's is a family friendly Forum.] sites.

I am aware that not all virus scanners find all threats so I like to have a back up one.

How would you go about it? if money wasn't an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
It does make sense in some ways to have AV etc. installed on one central/master PC. But then that PC becomes a single point of failure.

For example, if that PC is down, infected, or otherwise unavailable for whatever reason then you may find yourself without any means to scan for and remove malware.

For the most part using Windows Security/Defender on each machine is very simple and effective. Included with Windows.

Microsoft keeps the software updated and Windows Security can and will do regular scans.

FYI:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...security-2ae0363d-0ada-c064-8b56-6a39afb6a963

As a backup Malwarebytes (free) seems to be a common choice.

Side note:

Viruses and malware are indeed a concern. But other bad things can happen.

Therefore remember to always ensure that all important data on all machines is regularly backed up at least 2 x to locations away from the host computer.
Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Just my thoughts on the matter.