Advice on if I should Factory Reset

arrinCS

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
What I need advice on/fact check: I play fortnite professionally, and over time with updates fortnite has progessively gotten worse fps. A friend recommended factory resetting my PC, to possibly fix an issue I have or something, because with people that I meet in the competitive fortnite scene, we could be playing a competitive match, and I'll ask what fps are you guys getting, and they could have an i5 6500k or a lower tier i7, and be getting like 20-50 fps more than me. I just basically want to know if factory resetting my computer would possibly increase my fps.

Specs:
i7 8700k [no overclock] | CM Hyper T4 Cooler, while playing fortnite at max load I get no higher than 60c, gpu also runs at mx 65 in fortnite
[1x8GB] Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 [stock is 2133] I have XMP on for 2666mhz.
250GB Samsung 850 EVO ssd
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB [no overclock, it makes my game crash inconsisitently]
650W Semi-Mod EVGAbq

Solution
1. Yup, get antiviruses, etc. e.g. Avast, Avira, Malwarebytes, etc. Free or pay, it does not matter much.
2. Do not use RAM management software of any kind, just uninstall things you do not need and /or remove them from start-up!
3. There are tons of tools to check if the HDD/SSD is still ok. e.g. CrytsalDiskInfo, etc.
4. During playing any games e.g. Fortnite or benchmark programs in loops for several minutes (at least 30 mins). Use special programs to monitor the temps. e.g. OpenHWmonitor, SpeedFan, MSI Afterburner, etc.
5. If other games has similar Issue, your Fortnite is not the problem
6. It is good if you have them up2date regularly.
Before you really hit the reset everything button, I would first really check what went wrong with your FPS issue.
You should also check if you see similar FPS issue on other games.
Blindly going into a possible solution without really knowing what went wrong is not a good idea in my opinion.

I would:
1. check if you have viruses, malwares, etc.
2. reduce unnecessary apps running in background (remove them completely or only from startup)
3. check the HDD and SSD health
4. check the temps on your proc and gpu under full load after a couple of minutes (30 mins at least).
5. check FPS on other games
6. check if you have the latest drivers

If everything is ok, perhaps your Fortnite installation is corrupt. You just have to clean your PC from your Fortnite and install Fortnite all over again.

arrinCS

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016

1. Any softwares you know that could 99% find if there's a virus / malware. All I have is Windows Defender.
2.I've done ALOT of this, I use Razer Cortex to clear RAM since I onlyhave 8
3. I have only a 250 GB SSD, The only way I know of checking it's health is the settings in Windows.
4. DO you mean in fortnite or witha benchmark app
5. I have other BRs, and other games, It occurs in all games, where my friends will have worse PCs and get way better FPS
6. I stay very updated on my gpu drivers, what other drives would need updated?

1. Yup, get antiviruses, etc. e.g. Avast, Avira, Malwarebytes, etc. Free or pay, it does not matter much.
2. Do not use RAM management software of any kind, just uninstall things you do not need and /or remove them from start-up!
3. There are tons of tools to check if the HDD/SSD is still ok. e.g. CrytsalDiskInfo, etc.
4. During playing any games e.g. Fortnite or benchmark programs in loops for several minutes (at least 30 mins). Use special programs to monitor the temps. e.g. OpenHWmonitor, SpeedFan, MSI Afterburner, etc.
5. If other games has similar Issue, your Fortnite is not the problem
6. It is good if you have them up2date regularly.

Solution