[SOLVED] Advice on Improving 1st Build

padraigbell

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
Hi all,

I started a build around a year ago and only really getting the use out of it now. However, it is a bit slow and Id like to do some small improvements/upgrades but slightly unsure which to prioritize and would appreciate some educated opinions.

My Current Build;

MoBo - Z370 Tomahawk
CPU - Intel Core i5-8400
GPU - Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 4TB (2017)
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2400 C16 8GB (I plan on adding a second one onto the motherboard)

From running tests and online forums, I have gathered that adding an SSD alongside the HDD to the system should improve speed?

Also, using user benchmark for performance test, the drive reported back as performing way below expectation. How do I improve its performance to meet its standards? I should add that the perfomance test reported "Sub-optimal background CPU(11%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. Find active processes....) I only had a web browser with one tab opened and have noticed alot of background activity. How can I manage to optimize this also?

Thanks for taking the time, if you read and replied!

Last edited:
Solution
Hi all,

I started a build around a year ago and only really getting the use out of it now. However, it is a bit slow and Id like to do some small improvements/upgrades but slightly unsure which to prioritize and would appreciate some educated opinions.

My Current Build;

MoBo - Z370 Tomahawk
CPU - Intel Core i5-8400
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2400 C16 8GB (I plan on adding a second one onto the motherboard)

From running tests and online forums, I have gathered that adding an SSD alongside the HDD to the system should improve speed?

Also, using user benchmark for performance test, the drive reported back as performing way below expectation. How do I...
May 10, 2019
Hi all,

My Current Build;

MoBo - Z370 Tomahawk
CPU - Intel Core i5-8400

Also, using user benchmark for performance test, the drive reported back as performing way below expectation. How do I improve its performance to meet its standards? I should add that the perfomance test reported "Sub-optimal background CPU(11%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. Find active processes....) I only had a web browser with one tab opened and have noticed alot of background activity. How can I manage to optimize this also?

Thanks for taking the time, if you read and replied!
Definetly get an ssd it will make the build much faster, also you can close background processes and the web browser which can take cpu usage. Also 11% isn’t very bad usage my pc used 20% background

Solution