Discussion Advice on installing upgraded RAM to AsRock X99X killer

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
I currently have one 8 GB stick of DDR4 RAM, which CPU-Z says has an NB frequency of 1,199.3 Mhz. I am upgrading to what the specs of the motherboard say is the max frequency it takes (3,000+) with four 8 GB sticks of DDR4 DRAM 3,000 (making it 32 GB of RAM- I still have four more empty slots).

I didn’t get the 3200 because some people who had encountered problems and apparently special configuration was needed.

I can pop the RAM in fine: my question is if I need to enter BIOS or elsewhere to do any changes?

Thank you in advance!!

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Short answer is you may need to use xmp to set the memory to that speed. What are your system specs?

Okay- here are my specs ('short' verion):
Intel Core i7 5820K (with water cooling)
Full thermaltek tower with a 900 watt power supply- I leave the side panel open to allow for better cooling, mainly of the graphics card as it tends to run hot
8 gigs DDR4 DRAM by "Crucial Technology" (1,200 MHz- it is under the water cooling system a local PC store installed for me, so I will have to remove the cooling unit somewhat to get at the RAM so can't give you more details)
ASRock X99X Killer motherboard
Drive C: internal SSD drive 120 gig
Drive D: internal SATA hard drive roughly 3 terabytes (2.73 available)
External USB 3.0 hard disk- 4.55 terabytes (almost full, encrypted with Windows 10 Bitlocker)

(due to lack of space- I mainly use drive C SSD drive for windows, my user profiles (take up a lot of space, and programs required to install to C drive. I can't backup my iPhone 7 Plus because, last I checked, iTunes requires it be on the C drive and I just lack the space. I keep my programs and games on drive D, and video files/pictures/backup stuff on the external drive)

I forget- I may have used the BIOS to overclock just slightly (I need to check), but needless to say when it comes to multi-threading my CPU-Z score (comparing it to other CPU scores) is 3617, single thread is 476. For multi-threading, that puts my I7-5820k above an Intel Core i7-6850K (3404) and just below the AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (3640) and Intel Core i7-8086K (3773).

OS: Windows 10 Professional (though it seems to be a bit screwy at times- hey, I manage)

I have the Occulus Rift and Oculus Touch, and my monitor is a Samsung large 3DTV (so, limited resolution but large screen and- hey, can watch 3D with active 3D glasses).

I am upgrading the RAM and the video card- and I am hoping that perhaps the VR game "Star Trek Bridge Crew" will finally work without crashing once I do. I am getting the above-mentioned RAM, and also upgrading to a new video card to help handle the VR and gaming/video editing/art/etc (Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB ROG Strix OC edition).

Hope that helps :)

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
New RAM didn’t seem to work- computer wouldn’t boot- four sticks total (32 gb) of:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
Any thoughts as to why it didn’t work? I have to move the water cooler for the processor to get it out of the water.