Advice on Linux Build That Will Last Me 10 Years - UPDATED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hello all,

First, let my spell out my goals for this build and give you an idea of what kind of user I am:

I am not a computer enthusiast. To me, a computer is a means to an end.....I do lots of research online. While I don't even know how to spell "computer gaming," I want my new machine to be capable of the odd video editing task every now and again. I haven't enjoyed the process of researching what I need to know for this build, so I'm not afraid to spend some bucks on a machine I hope will take me 10 years before I need to repeat this process.

I'm planning on my new computer being a pure Linux machine.....I'm currently planning on using Debian Squeeze (which utilizes the 2.6.32 kernel). This keeps me from purchasing bleeding edge components.....you'll see that the components I'm considering have been around a while, but are still very capable (I hope).

With all of that in mind, here we go:

Approximate Purchase Date: Some time on the first two weeks of October 2011.

Budget Range: Not a factor....as I plan to amortize the costs over a ten year period.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Browsing (which can involve research sessions with 30 or more open tabs); standard word processing, email, and other light office-type tasks (e.g. making PowerPoint presentations); photo editing; machine must be capable of the odd video editing task, creating standard NTSC DVD-resolution movies (I guess I should plan on having HD capabilities here); no gaming; no movie watching; must be adept at viewing YouTube-type videos online

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS (planning to use Debian Squeeze....which shows you how conservative I am!)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: U.S.A. (Colorado)

Overclocking: Not currently, may be required in the future (remembering my 10 year timeline)

SLI or Crossfire: Not currently, may be required in the future (remembering my 10 year timeline)

Monitor Resolution: Currently 1600x900...which is very much suitable for my purposes....I can't imagine ever going to a multi-screen setup.

Additional Comments: In the interest of longevity, low temperatures are important to me, preferable attained with simple air cooling and robust component thermal margins. Quiet is nice, but my ears are shot, so I can live with some noise.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My proposed build so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E, but I'm leaning strongly toward the ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, since it has true SSD Express Gate (something I think I would get a lot of use out of) and more robust cooling.

Graphics Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

Memory: Two kits of Kingston 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model KVR1066D3N7K3/12G for a grand total of 24GB.

Storage: Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Optical drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Card Reader: AFT XM-35U BLACK USB 2.0 Kiosk Card Reader (3.5")

Case: LIAN LI PC-9F Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Printer (already purchased): HP Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One Printer - C410a

I will report here when I decide on a PSU.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few questions:

1. How am I doing on my component choices?

2. Re compatibility: If Debian Squeeze does not provide support for SATA III (which the above SSD is capable of), I'll just run it at SATA II until Wheezy goes stable. Comments?

3. I probably caused a few eyebrows to rise with my choice of 1066 RAM. I think this is the fastest you can go when using 24GB for the Gulftown processor (see above). Can anyone verify this?

4. Of the two mobo's I listed, which would be better for me?

Thank you all, in advance. I've posted my proposed build on my Debian forum and have gotten lots of help, but I think there is a higher general level of hardware expertise over here at Tom's!

I'd say you were killing a mouse with an atomic bomb . Even thinking of adding a gaming graphics card is diametrically opposite to your design rational

An entry level sandy bridge quad core
z68 motherboard
2 x4 gig of 1333 MHz RAM at 1.5 volt or lower
400 - 500 watt psu
use the cpu's onboard video

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Sky,

Thanks for your input......

I've heard that Linux users have been having their share of problems w/ Sandy Bridge. I've also heard that Sandy Bridge quad-cores run hot (whereas Gulftowns reportedly run quite cool - and that is very attractive to me). Also, I'm not certain that the Linux driver set is mature with regards to the 1155 mobo's.

For those reasons, I was sort of scared off of the Sandy Bridge bandwagon.

I think the Linux user faces many more challenges than do Windows users when it comes to building high-end systems.

EnterOrion

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
And it will play games.

Buying something massively overpowered for what you want now should guarantee you ten years of browsing. Maybe a year or two of gaming while you're at it.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Out,

I appreciate your input.

"Killing a mouse with an atomic bomb," indeed! Yes, my proposed build WOULD be drastic overkill for a non-demanding user like myself.....for this year.

Next year, the mouse has grown into a rat. A few years later, he has become an elephant. Nine years from now (remember, I am shooting for 10 years of usability out of this machine), the harmless little mouse has morphed into a mountain-sized asteroid, hurtling malevolently towards the Earth.......for that, we really could USE a nuke!

What I'm getting at here is that we all know that the computing environment gets tougher year by year. If I want my machine to be usable in 2021, I need to overbuild in 2011.....big time!

Your build idea sounds nice....for a Windows guy. Linux users have been having their share of problems with Sandy Bridge, which is why I crossed it off of my short list of CPUs.

With regards to your observation about my build including a gaming graphics card.....I presume you were talking about my aversion to heat in the system. Well, my choice of case (the Lian Li PC-9F) is a positive pressure design, which should work well with the external exhaust cooling architecture of the GTX 460 graphics card I've chosen. In addition, since my storage will be limited to a single 2.5" SSD, I'll be able to remove the HDD rack in the case, improving the airflow in the case even more.

Or, perhaps you were inferring that I'd be better off with a workstation graphics card. If so, please elaborate....I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Anyone else? I need ideas!

I do see your point about the pc aging , and agree with your RAT next year analogy

but I doubt this is the best way to handle this situation .
You can build a computer for less than half as much that will work fine for many years , and do everything you want .

I doubt anyone except very high end graphics pro's using 64 programs will ever need that amount of RAM

and the gaming graphics card is for gaming . A GTS 220 is a more appropriate gfx card ...and always will be

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Out,

Yep, I've been looking for a way to get away from the Gulftown CPU (lots of $$$). My problem is that, for me, the Gulftowns are the only i7's that run cool enough to make me happy. And, please remember, I want to keep the door open to having a robust video editing capability (where more cores = gooder, I think).

For me, the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core was running second in the CPU sweepstakes. It's got a good track record and reportedly runs cool. Do you think this CPU can gracefully make it all the way to 2021? If so, what is the, high quality, reliable, cool-running 755 mobo I should be considering?

I could not find a "GTS 220", but I DID find this: GIGABYTE GV-N220OC-1GI GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. Is this what you're referring to? I like the fact that the card runs cool. I don't need a gaming card.....I just need something that is up to the task of video editing.

I've taken some flak over wanting 24GB of RAM, and not just here. All I can say is, the difference between 12GB and 24GB of RAM is $75.00. That tells me that there is no reason NOT to go all out (to 24GB)!

One more question: I hear lots of folks complaining about Realtek LAN controllers. Would it be worth my while to consider popping in a $40.00 Intel NIC if the mobo I buy "features" Realtek LAN?

I appreciate everyone's time and expertise. My specialties lie elsewhere and it's easy to get overwhelmed with this computer stuff if you haven't kept up with it over the years!

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I've picked a PSU:

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Also, a mobo I was looking at has come back into stock @ Newegg, so I'm ditching the Asus P6X58D-E for the ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. The Premium is $90.00 more than the "-E" and is a bit slower, but it features more robust cooling and true SSD internal Express Gate (both of which are attractive to me - the "-E" has Express Gate (HD based), but you need to install it under Windows (a show-stopper for me)). It also can't support RAID on the SATA 3 outputs, but I can't imagine that that will ever be important to me.

The build so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

Memory: Two kits of Kingston 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model KVR1066D3N7K3/12G for a grand total of 24GB.

Storage: Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Optical drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Card Reader: AFT XM-35U BLACK USB 2.0 Kiosk Card Reader (3.5")

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case: LIAN LI PC-9F Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Printer (already purchased): HP Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One Printer - C410a

Thoughts, anyone, on the mobo switch and my choice of PSU?

Next up: A mouse (my old one seems to be dying).

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I've gotten some suggestions that, since I'm not a gamer, but would like to be able to do some video editing every now and again, perhaps I ought not be thinking only of gaming graphics cards.

What you y'all think of these two cards?:

PNY VCQ600-PB Quadro 600 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Workstation Video Card

PNY VCQ2000D-PB Quadro 2000D 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

The 2000D, in particular, might just be able to give 10 years of viable service, since it shares basically the same hardware with the very capable GTS 450.

Gawd, it's spendy though! Even with the lower operating costs compared to the GTX 460 I was considering, it's still a hard shot to the wallet!

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Update.

Gettin' ready to pull the trigger. The only thing stopping me is verification of RAM stability. Apparently, the X58's can be very finicky!

Has anyone here ever successfully, for a year or longer, been able to pull off 24GB of RAM on a P6X58D Premium mobo without overclocking? If so, how did you do it?

TIA!

cutebeans

Distinguished
I just saw this right now but you do know that you'd be getting most out of your money if you spend on a $500 build right now, then replacing it when it breaks down which can last up to more than 5 years if you are careful.

It's more unrealistic to think that a build will last about 10years.

What you also need can be supplied easily with low tech AMD or Intel CPU. I can run 30 tabs of Chrome on my wolfdale 2.93ghz dual core with 2gb of ram.

It's not a very good idea. I can easily make you a build that would cost about $400 dollars that would run what you want to run. $500 with a windows OS . Well, the best would be at the $600 mark. You'd get a better case with coolers so it can run really cool.

morgoth780

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

honestly, there isn't much I recommend to you, since I know very little about linux systems.
However, 1000w is complete overkill for that system. Even 750w would be more than enough. Also, don't get a cooler master psu. They tend to have a lot more issues compared to antec, xfx, seasonic, and pc power and cooling.

having a low quality psu will kill your entire machine fairly quickly, making 10 years of use fairly challenging

cutebeans

Distinguished
Anyway, just post this on new build forums and ask how much money you'd need to sink in just to get it. I assure you it would be about $400-$600.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Browsing (which can involve research sessions with 30 or more open tabs); standard word processing, email, and other light office-type tasks (e.g. making PowerPoint presentations); photo editing; machine must be capable of the odd video editing task, creating standard NTSC DVD-resolution movies (I guess I should plan on having HD capabilities here); no gaming; no movie watching; must be adept at viewing YouTube-type videos online.

oh yeah, you won't need 24gb of ram lol. 4gb would be enough for what you do. I hope you consider your build. It's really a waste of money.

youu will not really get 10 years of use out of that computer.

I'd be like trying to manage today on a 600 MHz Pentium III with 256 megs of Ram and a 1 GB Hard drive on a NVidia TNT2 16 MB video card, running windows 98.

It would have trouble just loading this web page.

10 years in computers is like a century in almost any other technology. Its POINTLESS to even try. computers in 10 years increase in capability over 100 fold.

your needs match that of a $350 Llano PC. Which will work for you for about 3 years. Then you build another $350 PC and use it for 3 years, then you build another $350 PC and use it for 3 years. you've just hit 2020, and you've spent over that time you've spent $1050, a quarter of what you were sinking into the gulftown, and the $350 PC you would be about to built will have 60-80 timres the horsepower of that $4000 monster you were looking at.

cutebeans

Distinguished

+10 years lol. I think he can makes those $350 PCs last about 5 years though especially if he doesn't plan to do game or any heavy applications. In the long run, the max you would be spending is $1000 over the span of 10years.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Cute,

Thanks for your input.

What you are discounting in your very valid 5-year plan is my hatred for the research I am having to do right now. If I can make this machine last 10 years and have it still meet my modest (save video editing) needs before having to go through this sucky process again, I'll be one happy hombre.....I'm willing to spend some bux and take some chances in order for that to happen!

I do, however, plan on backing down to 12GB of RAM (from my initially proposed 24GB), as I'm just not seeing lots of evidence out there that folks are pulling off 24GB on the P6X58D Premium mobo with decent, long-term stability.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Morg,

Thanks for your post.

Yep, I'm aware of the overkill issue. However, I used a few online PSU calculators and they all came up with about 950-1000w (I input SLI, a few extra cards, and advanced capacitor aging, since I want to keep those upgrade options open and want the machine to last 10 years).

Oh, BTW, my latest build proposal (seen here) utilizes the Antec HCP-1200 since I could not find any 1000-1199w PSU's that had both 5-egg reviews (on Newegg) AND several good technical reviews. The Antec has both. I appreciate your input on the Cooler Master, however.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hi cute....my comment in bolt italics.

Thanks for your input, AND your genuine concern for my financial situation!

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Screw,

Thanks for the input and your insight. My comments in bold italics.

Thanks for posting!

steelbeast

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Well, I guess there's no other input we can give you since you sound pretty set on never doing this again for 10 years. My parting advice would be to go with PC Power and Cooling brand for the PSU since it's backed by a 7-year warranty. No other PSU in the business has this.

OK, you want an unlocked six core CPU. Here's my suggestion

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

GA-880GMA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128490

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231312

Total less than $350. It has integrated graphics which should be enough for what you're doing. If not, add a 220/240 like someone suggested. You're unlikely to even use this CPU 100% so that's at least less money wasted. You're gonna be fine with a 400W PSU. Add case, HDD, SSD and other accessories from your original build.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hi steel,

My comments in bold.

Digger1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Hi cute,

Well, as I see it, one of the reasons God invented money in the first place was so that we could sometimes use it to avoid the things we don't like to do. I, for one, (and, I'll bet I'm the only swingin' dick here @ Tom's that can honestly say this), am hating this research process and wish to delay the next round for as long as I can. It's really cutting into my motorcycle-riding time!

But, you have all been a great help to this stubborn old fighter pilot....thanks for your patience! Please keep the constructive comments coming! I really do appreciate and consider each and every one!

Status
Not open for further replies.