Question Advice on minimum specs to live stream flash streams or html streams.

Jun 7, 2019
Hi everyone,

looking for a bit of advice with minimum specs to comfortably live stream content via flash or html live streams via hdmi and ethernet internet connection i plan to just buy a mini pc rather than have to connect my laptop or desktop to my TV.

any advice would be apprecaited

here is a cheap one ive found but not sure it would be enough :
Atom CPU330
2GB Ram
60 GB SSD

or a more exspensive mini pc ive found with the following specs :
  • Intel i3 2120T 2.6GHz CPU
  • 4GB PC3 RAM
  • 60GB HDD DRIVE
would either of these configs be suitable? i assumed live streaming flash content would take very minimal specs but wanted to double check before wasting any money.

Jun 7, 2019
I'd still go for your second choice. IMO, having an experience with one, Atom CPUs are super slow. Also, make sure you have a decent upload speed :)
Appreciate the feedback, i thought that may have been the case i should also mention i want to watch streams rather than host them myself wasnt sure if i made that clear.

jayhayjay

Honorable
Nov 18, 2015
Appreciate the feedback, i thought that may have been the case i should also mention i want to watch streams rather than host them myself wasnt sure if i made that clear.
EDITED. Sorry, I misread your response. Just watching requires a decent internet connection with a good speed. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jun 7, 2019
EDITED. Sorry, I misread your response. Just watching requires a decent internet connection with a good speed. Nothing more, nothing less.
So in that case it doesn't matter the speed of the cpu or ram? Its entirely dependant on the internet connection? I just thought that maybe for smooth playback it would require some cpu or gpu power.

jayhayjay

Honorable
Nov 18, 2015
So in that case it doesn't matter the speed of the cpu or ram? Its entirely dependant on the internet connection? I just thought that maybe for smooth playback it would require some cpu or gpu power.
No, in general, it doesn't matter. Unless you decided to stream yourself. The thing is, I have to point out that you should avoid the Atom anyway since it is in the very low end range and you'll deal with issues no matter what. My dad had a laptop with an Atom CPU and I remember it being really slow with everything, even with opening internet browsers (e.g. Chrome). There are probably even cheaper alternatives than the i3 that'd still do better than the Atom but you offered two particular choices.

Jun 7, 2019
No, in general, it doesn't matter. Unless you decided to stream yourself. The thing is, I have to point out that you should avoid the Atom anyway since it is in the very low end range and you'll deal with issues no matter what. My dad had a laptop with an Atom CPU and I remember it being really slow with everything, even with opening internet browsers (e.g. Chrome). There are probably even cheaper alternatives than the i3 that'd still do better than the Atom but you offered two particular choices.
As per your advice I have avoided the atom CPU and gone with the 2nd config I posted with the i3 and 4gb ram so hopefully it should be plenty to run the streams smoothly. Really appreciate your help and advice.