[SOLVED] Advice on MOBO, CPU and GPU upgrades

mvenezia02

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
Hello everyone. Apologies in advance for the long post. So about a year or two ago I built my first PC(specs below):

Gigabyte H310M A MOBO
Intel i3 8100 CPU
EVGA GTX 1050 Ti GPU
Viper 16GB(8x2 DDR4) RAM
ADATA 512GB SSD(which I need to replace cause it broke)
Seagate 1TB HDD
EVGA Bronze power supply 500w

I built it on a budget and wasn't looking to blow every dollar I had on a top line machine at the time(especially given what games I intended on playing). However, with Doom Eternal coming up(which my current PC can barely play, if at all) and the Resident Evil 2 Remake still sitting and waiting to be played(which I also basically can't play), I figured it was time to upgrade my PCs CPU and GPU(and by extension, MOBO, since my current one doesn't take an i7).

So here is my question. Since I am still pretty new to building and upgrading my own stuff, I was wondering where I should go with my upgrades. Currently I play mostly older games(which is why my current build has served me so well), but I also play FFXIV and am looking to get into some higher tier games(graphically) like the aforementioned Doom Eternal and RE2 Remake as well as possibly some online FPS games at some point as well.

I have zero interest in VR gaming. I really just would like to play my games at 1080p/1440p on Very High - Ultra at a consistent 60+ FPS. My initial reaction with CPU was to go for an i7(so I wouldn't need to worry about upgrading it again at least for a while), but MOBO and GPU are where I become unsure. Is a 1080 enough? Can I go higher without "overupgrading," I guess you could say, given I have no interest in VR?

I am not looking to break the bank, but I am willing to spend a bit more this time around(I guess like ~300 for CPU and GPU each and then whatever for MOBO, but I would be willing to compromise and go higher if the upgrade was worth the higher price or something).

Any advice on CPU, MOBO and GPU upgrades would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I would like to stick with Intel since it is what I know.

Last edited:
Solution
How do you know how Doom Eternal and RE 2 Remake will run when no one has had a chance to run them yet?

That aside, there's always a weakest link in PC:
-the 1050Ti is a 1080p low-medium settings gpu, so for at least 1080p high, that's going to need to change.
-at the same time though, you're thread limited on modern games. You also need to move away from that pure quad core, or fps minimums will tank at times.
-the power supply might need to be replaced. Most of EVGA's bronze units aren't good enough for higher end gpus.
-that is one weak motherboard - I wouldn't even put a 9700K in there.
This upgrade isn't going to be cheap.

I would like to stick with Intel since it is what I know.
Yeah, well, you're going to screw yourself...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How do you know how Doom Eternal and RE 2 Remake will run when no one has had a chance to run them yet?

-the 1050Ti is a 1080p low-medium settings gpu, so for at least 1080p high, that's going to need to change.
-at the same time though, you're thread limited on modern games. You also need to move away from that pure quad core, or fps minimums will tank at times.
-the power supply might need to be replaced. Most of EVGA's bronze units aren't good enough for higher end gpus.

I would like to stick with Intel since it is what I know.
Yeah, well, you're going to screw yourself cost-wise if you stay that route.

Bare minimum suggestion for 1080p 60 high: 1650 Super. Then there's the matter of the lack of threads: Ryzen 3600 with dual channel 3200+mhz memory.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB Ventus XS OC Video Card ($163.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $523.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-09 20:34 EDT-0400

1440p high: Same as the above, but replace the 1650 Super with a 1660 Super.

Solution

mvenezia02

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019

Yeah, well, you're going to screw yourself cost-wise if you stay that route.

Bare minimum suggestion for 1080p 60 high: 1650 Super. Then there's the matter of the lack of threads: Ryzen 3600 with dual channel 3200+mhz memory.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB Ventus XS OC Video Card ($163.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $523.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-09 20:34 EDT-0400

1440p high: Same as the above, but replace the 1650 Super with a 1660 Super.

Well, Doom Eternal I am just going by the specs that have been leaked, and I don't meet the minimum requirements, so I am assuming it will run very poorly if at all. And I'm not sure what you mean about RE2. Looks like it released a year ago. Regardless, again, just going by specs which I don't seem to meet.

I am aware it won't be a cheap upgrade. I wasn't really expecting it to be. I know my motherboard is very weak. It isn't even compatible with i7s. Like I said, it was a budget PC I built for pretty much nothing but older single player games and FFXIV, so it worked for that at the time.

That being said, I appreciate the suggestions. I wouldn't be opposed to switching to AMD given the upgrades I need to make are basically forcing to build a whole new PC, so while I would rather stick with Intel, I would absolutely consider switching to AMD.

Quick question, other than the price factor, is there a reason to go for a Ryzen 5 over a 7? Or is it simply a "most bang for your buck" kinda thing? Thanks!

Well, Doom Eternal I am just going by the specs that have been leaked, and I don't meet the minimum requirements, so I am assuming it will run very poorly if at all. And I'm not sure what you mean about RE2. Looks like it released a year ago. Regardless, again, just going by specs which I don't seem to meet.

I am aware it won't be a cheap upgrade. I wasn't really expecting it to be. I know my motherboard is very weak. It isn't even compatible with i7s. Like I said, it was a budget PC I built for pretty much nothing but older single player games and FFXIV, so it worked for that at the time.

That being said, I appreciate the suggestions. I wouldn't be opposed to switching to AMD given the upgrades I need to make are basically forcing to build a whole new PC, so while I would rather stick with Intel, I would absolutely consider switching to AMD.

Quick question, other than the price factor, is there a reason to go for a Ryzen 5 over a 7? Or is it simply a "most bang for your buck" kinda thing? Thanks!
Ryzen 3600 at a minimum and 1660 super or ti at a minimum. Anything over that is preference as to what you want to pay. I have only owned intel but Ryzen is the buy right now.

mvenezia02

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
Ryzen 3600 at a minimum and 1660 super or ti at a minimum. Anything over that is preference as to what you want to pay. I have only owned intel but Ryzen is the buy right now.

Fair enough. Guess I will take a look at some Ryzen 7s and see if I want to go higher. Kinda depends on how much more expensive it gets. I will probably stick with the 1660 Super though. All the upgrades listed above seem pretty reasonable, so, overall, cool with me.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It isn't even compatible with i7s.
It should be, with a bios update... at least the product page says so.

Bang for buck, and to spend your money on something more worthwhile.
The difference between the 3600 and a 3700X for a gaming-only machine is microscopic.
To get a 3700X only to game, one either wanted to spend the extra cash(~130USD), or they're concerned with that 'futureproof' mumbo-jumbo, what with the current state of technology where such high end hardware is being held back by the software...
If you believe programmers/developers will suddenly jump up to 12 threads in their games in 5 years time, then aim for a 3700X if you wish.
I've seen enough stuff about 'futureproof' that I stopped trying to convince people when they're trying to plan their next builds; it's tiring.
How can one futureproof when new stuff comes out literally every year?
[I started ranting, so I put it in a spoiler.]

mvenezia02

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
It should be, with a bios update... at least the product page says so.

Bang for buck, and to spend your money on something more worthwhile.
The difference between the 3600 and a 3700X for a gaming-only machine is microscopic.
To get a 3700X only to game, one either wanted to spend the extra cash(~130USD), or they're concerned with that 'futureproof' mumbo-jumbo, what with the current state of technology where such high end hardware is being held back by the software...
If you believe programmers/developers will suddenly jump up to 12 threads in their games in 5 years time, then aim for a 3700X if you wish.
I've seen enough stuff about 'futureproof' that I stopped trying to convince people when they're trying to plan their next builds; it's tiring.
How can one futureproof when new stuff comes out literally every year?
[I started ranting, so I put it in a spoiler.]

I could have sworn I checked a few months back when I first started thinking about upgrading and everything I was seeing said it wasn't compatible with that generation of processor. Maybe I misunderstood or haven't updated my BIOS(which would be odd cause I make it a point to keep all my components up to date). Regardless, like you said, it's a weak motherboard. Even if it can, it doesn't seem worth it. Might as well just upgrade it along with the CPU.

Thanks for the heads up on the 3600 versus the 3700x. That makes a lot of sense. I'll probably just go with the 3600 in the case.

One more question(I promise), you mentioned I should probably get a better power supply with all these upgrades cause the EVGA bronze rating I have isn't good enough for higher end GPUs. Would I be running the risk of damaging other components by not upgrading my power supply? I'm just wondering how necessary it is to make that upgrade as well.

Thanks a ton for all the info! Really appreciate it!

mvenezia02

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
I said you MIGHT have to replace it. EVGA + budget psu can be a cause of concern
There's 4 different EVGA 500 Bronze models.
The 500B should ok with a 1660 Super: http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2013/08/26/evga-500b-500w-power-supply/6/
I can't seem to find any legit reviews/teardowns on the other 3 - BR, BQ, and BT...

I read through that review and and looked at some other recommendations for a 1660 Super, and it does seem like my current PSU should be OK, but it makes me nervous. I would rather not have something happen after all this upgrading and then have to buy a new PSU anyway(or something worse). I think I'll look at some Gold-rated PSUs too. If nothing else, it will make it so that I don't have to worry about it later if I want to upgrade again or something.

Thank you so much for all the information. This has been extremely helpful!

mvenezia02

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
So here's another question that I just thought of. I have a Freesync monitor(ViewSonic Elite), so should I get an AMD GPU that is equivalent to a 1660 Super so I can take advantage of Freesync? Or just get the GTX cause Freesync isn't worth it? I don't know much about it(and I currently don't use it as I do not have an AMD card), so I don't know if it is worth taking advantage of.

mvenezia02

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
Freesync will work with nvidia GPU's .even if it's not on the compatibility list, it will still work. My model is not on the list and freesync works just fine.

You can always look at amd GPU also. Do some comparison and watch some videos. There's a ton of comparisons out there.

Oh, OK. Well then, I'll probably just stick with the GTX 1660 Super then, but I'll definitely check out some comparison videos. Thanks a lot!