[SOLVED] Advice on moboupgrades

ghost80808

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Hi all,

Currently I have a 5/6 year old PC I built myself for gaming. It's been a fantastic system and only started to show it's age this year. As such, I was looking to totally upgrade, but Covid saw to that plan.
As a result, I'm looking at upgrading a bit at time instead. Sadly my PC knowledge has dwindled over the years and i'm not up on my components and compatibility, so i'm a at bit of a loss.

Currently I have an Asus H81 Gamer, Core I5 4690, 16gb DDR3 ram, and recently upgraded from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1660 ti. (drives are all good, SSD's and fast Sata's)

What I need, is advice on where to go from here?
My mobo is so old now, it's hard to upgrade much further (I think i7 gen 4 is as good as I can get), which means replacing it, but then if I get a newer mobo, I have to get a new processor, or buy an older 1150 mobo

My budget is TIGHT!

What would you fine folks recommend? (and no, dumpster is not an option!)
Do I get a new (older) mobo that supports 1150 socket so I can keep my processor, but has better support for my GPU, and if so which mobo?
Or, new mobo/processor altogether, but again which? Especially with cost being an issue.

And finally does having pcie 2.0 on my h81 or my old i5 4690 hold my 1660 ti back that much? Is it worth upgrading at all?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: My monitors are 1080p, so don't really need/want support for anything higher than that.

Solution
Hi all,

Currently I have a 5/6 year old PC I built myself for gaming. It's been a fantastic system and only started to show it's age this year. As such, I was looking to totally upgrade, but Covid saw to that plan.
As a result, I'm looking at upgrading a bit at time instead. Sadly my PC knowledge has dwindled over the years and i'm not up on my components and compatibility, so i'm a at bit of a loss.

Currently I have an Asus H81 Gamer, Core I5 4690, 16gb DDR3 ram, and recently upgraded from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1660 ti. (drives are all good, SSD's and fast Sata's)

My mobo is so old now, it's hard to upgrade much further (I think i7 gen 4 is as good as I can get), which means...
Hi all,

My mobo is so old now, it's hard to upgrade much further (I think i7 gen 4 is as good as I can get), which means replacing it, but then if I get a newer mobo, I have to get a new processor, or buy an older 1150 mobo

My budget is TIGHT!

What would you fine folks recommend? (and no, dumpster is not an option!)
Do I get a new (older) mobo that supports 1150 socket so I can keep my processor, but has better support for my GPU, and if so which mobo?
Or, new mobo/processor altogether, but again which? Especially with cost being an issue.

And finally does having pcie 2.0 on my h81 or my old i5 4690 hold my 1660 ti back that much? Is it worth upgrading at all?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: My monitors are 1080p, so don't really need/want support for anything higher than that.
Unless MB is dead or dying, changing it is not going to make anything faster or better. With anything newer you also need a CPU and RAM too at least.

Solution

ghost80808

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Unless MB is dead or dying, changing it is not going to make anything faster or better. With anything newer you also need a CPU and RAM too at least.

Thanks . Yeah, i figured I wouldn't get much more juice out of the old mobo. It works (for now), but it is getting slower and slower with new releases. It won't keep up much longer.

Any budget recommendations for new/newer mobo/CPU's for gaming?

Thanks . Yeah, i figured I wouldn't get much more juice out of the old mobo. It works (for now), but it is getting slower and slower with new releases. It won't keep up much longer.

Any budget recommendations for new/newer mobo/CPU's for gaming?
If your system is at all acceptable for now, I suggest you wait for end of this or beginning of new year, a lot of nice stuff coming out soon.
Keep up on new AMD developments, promises to be all the rage soon.

Reactions: ghost80808

TRENDING THREADS