[SOLVED] Advice on modding a ASRock DESKMEET X300 Mini PC Barebone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
i need advice on modding a ASRock DESKMEET X300 Mini PC Barebone for use as a nas / giga-switch / vm build

my plan is to add a

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

64gb of ram

SK Hynix Gold P31 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive for main os an vm's

2 x Seagate BarraCuda 5TB Hard Drive HDD – 2.5 Inch (ST5000LM000) to mount internal for raid back up of most vatial data
of the external 20gb

QNAP QXG-2G4T-I225 Quad-Port 2.5 GbE Network Expansion Card

1 x Yottamaster Aluminum Alloy 5 Bay 2.5/3.5 inch USB3.1 Type C External Hard Drive Enclosure SABRENT USB Type-C to Dual
3.5” SATA and RAID Docking Station DS-2BCR

with 2 x Seagate IronWolf Pro 10TB (ST10000NE000)

upgrade psu to sfx an cables

add 120mm aio vi external modding

something like this

moddef.jpg.29a60451ab2cac9c9ee2a1434688a30e.jpg

1. whats the psu form factor an size , as id like to replace with a fully modular gold efficient psu

an custom cables by cablemods.

2. does anyone have any tear-down pix of the inside ?

3. does this take full size ddr4 ram

4. has anyone run truenas core or scale

5. does the mobo support a 5600g out-of-the-box with out firmware update

6. can i install a pci multi port Ethernet card an run truenas with router os in a vm an config some of the ports
as vlan's an leave the others as just normal lan ports, is this something i can do vi router os an from a vm in
truenas

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-deskmeet-x300w-b-bb-box-us/p/N82E16856158083

Solution
According to this video;
View: https://youtu.be/PEGnwOB0OHM

The PSU is ATX however due to space constraints in the chassis, the cables are made to length, in that aspect the PSU bundled with the barebones build is bespoke to the chassis, the form factor, not so much. If you went with an SFX PSU, then fabricated your own set of cables, perhaps that would work but cable mod cables and an ATX PSU would mean a rats nest...and bad thermals.

Then again, a NAS that will be out of sight and quit frankly out of mind isn't an endeavor worth going into. In fact a NAS style build will often times be left forgotten until a drive croaks or the system can't be accessed. To add, for all the effort you're going to...

Lutfij

Titan
According to this video;
View: https://youtu.be/PEGnwOB0OHM

The PSU is ATX however due to space constraints in the chassis, the cables are made to length, in that aspect the PSU bundled with the barebones build is bespoke to the chassis, the form factor, not so much. If you went with an SFX PSU, then fabricated your own set of cables, perhaps that would work but cable mod cables and an ATX PSU would mean a rats nest...and bad thermals.

Then again, a NAS that will be out of sight and quit frankly out of mind isn't an endeavor worth going into. In fact a NAS style build will often times be left forgotten until a drive croaks or the system can't be accessed. To add, for all the effort you're going to go through, might as well build from the up instead.

One final thing to add, that PSU's mounting/orientation with an ATX unit is awkward, it's literally drawing air from within the chassis.

Last edited:
Solution

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
can anyone answer me on these specifics

1. has anyone run truenas core or scale

2. does the mobo support a 5600g out-of-the-box with out firmware update

3. can i install a pci multi port Ethernet card an run truenas with router os in a vm an config some of the ports
as vlan's an leave the others as just normal lan ports, is this something i can do vi router os an from a vm in
truenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS