Advice on monitor upgrade, QHD vs UHD/4K

Kuztomized87

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Hi all. I've done my research, now I'm looking for some advice.

Laptop: HP EliteBook 840 G1
Processor: Intel i5-4300U, 1.90GHz, ~2.5GHz
Memory: 8GB
Graphics: Intel HD 4400

I currently have 19" dual monitors, SXGA 1280x1024, in the "extend" configuration. I'm looking to upgrade both monitors to 25 - 27" QHD (2560x1440), or UHD/4K (3840x2160), to gain some extra screen real estate and improve clarity. My understanding is that this combination of processor and graphics can hande QHD @ 60 Hz, or UHD @ 30 Hz over DisplayPort 1.2. Does having dual monitors affect this at all? The computer will only be used for web browsing, excel, word, email, etc... No gaming or video. Is 30 Hz going to drive me nuts during general use? If it does, could I just change the resolution from native UHD down to QHD @ 60Hz to resolve the issue? Or would I just be better off buying QHD native monitors instead (aside from cost difference)? The monitors will stay for quite a while, but my laptop gets replaced every few years. I'm leaning towards UHD since my next laptop may handle it with no problem.

Thanks!

Solution
4K is only really worth it at large screen sizes - I dont think its too far to say that the difference between the picture quality of a 27" 2560x1440 monitor vs a 27" 4K monitor would be that noticeable at all.

Most people that run 4k monitors are using ones at TV sizes, such as 40" plus, as that's when the benefit really starts to show. Less than that, the pixel density is just too high.

My advice would be to stick with 1440p (QHD) for now, until you get some hardware that can handle large 4K monitors with ease.

As for refresh rate, I would really suggest that you have 60hz as your minimum. Below 60hz, mouse movement becomes noticeably 'laggy' and can actually cause eye strain for some people.

Gallarian

Distinguished
4K is only really worth it at large screen sizes - I dont think its too far to say that the difference between the picture quality of a 27" 2560x1440 monitor vs a 27" 4K monitor would be that noticeable at all.

Most people that run 4k monitors are using ones at TV sizes, such as 40" plus, as that's when the benefit really starts to show. Less than that, the pixel density is just too high.

My advice would be to stick with 1440p (QHD) for now, until you get some hardware that can handle large 4K monitors with ease.

As for refresh rate, I would really suggest that you have 60hz as your minimum. Below 60hz, mouse movement becomes noticeably 'laggy' and can actually cause eye strain for some people.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS