Advice on Motherboard and Custom Build

tedthemechanic

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hi All,

I am on my first desktop build adventure and got the following parts so far.

CPU: Intel I7 3770K 3.5Ghz
SSD: Intel 520 180 Gb SSD
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
PSU: Corsair GS700
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Black High Performance PC
Monitor: Dell U2711

I am still looking for a motherboard that drives my Dell 2711 at the max resolution (2560 x 1440). I believe i need a motherboard with display port? Do i need a dedicated graphics card or does the Intel integrated graphics will work. I do not do gaming however i want my text at absolutely sharp resolution and thats why the high resolution. I will be mostly using this system for excel use, bloomberg, and lots of charts.

Also, please let me know if I need anything else to complete my system.

Thanks,

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
save yourself 120 dollars and get an i5-3570k. It will be more then enough power for you. The hd4000 igpu can handle the resolution. Also you can run 2560x1440 from hdmi 1.4 and displayport and dual link dvi. Intel ssd's are reliable and quality the memory is fine.

The power supply is mega overkill and you are wasting money. As you do not need a dedicated gpu a 400watt psu will be more then enough even 350 watt would be good so save more money on that. Case is a personal choice so whatever you like you should get.

Motherboard I would probably go with a micro atx size motherboard. You could also get the smaller fractal case made for micro atx which will be cheaper. Micro atx boards are cheaper than atx and even mini itx. Any mobo with displayport will work for sure. Most all boards are hdmi 1.4 compatible as well which will work no problem

tedthemechanic

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
thanks for the reply laststop. I was lucky to score deals on the following components and hence the set-up - even though some of the components are overkill, I got them close to their next lowest version.

CPU: Intel I7 3770K 3.5Ghz -- $230
SSD: Intel 520 180 Gb SSD --$140
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) -- $25
PSU: Corsair GS700 ---$60
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Black High Performance PC --$50
Monitor: Dell U2711

I am curios to why you suggested microATX as opposed to just ATX mobos. Can you provide some suggestions on mobos with displayport

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
ATX is just larger with more things that you don't need. You will pay more money for pci-e ports and sata ports and usb ports that you aren't gonna use. Micro atx leaves more room in your case is easier to work around and you will pay less money and cut out some of the un needed things.

Cheapest mobo that has everything you need would be.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186228

If you are going to overclock and want more features

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157300

Both of these boards have hdmi and displayport output for that resolution.

tedthemechanic

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
thanks! And i dont need a dedicated graphics card right ? Also, does mATX work with all the components that i have ? I was initially planning on going with ATX . Can you suggest an ATX mobo too .

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
No you don't need a graphics card, your CPU comes with on-board graphics. (can always buy a graphics card later if you're unhappy, the mobo's he suggested do have PCI Epxress slots)

mATX will work with all of your components (It's really just a smaller motherboard, with the same things as an ATX - minus some extra's slots and things, which you don't need)

But if you want an atx board you can get (twice as much as the mATX)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121599

or for and extra $30 you can get an ASUS board (I've had good experiences with this brand, while I've never had an Intel board, I'm sure it would be good too)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131834

Both of these boards do have DisplayPort, and hdmi aswell (Always check the details section before buying though!)

From the sounds of it the mATX should be good for your needs, then again if moneys not a problem an ATX board may be nice if in the future you start adding multiple things

If you're still unsure on ATX vs mATX, you can always just compare the details section to compare the difference

Hope this helps

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
foxconn is a major manufacturer, they assemble iphones. it has a 3 year warranty regardless and it has displayport which is my favorite option for connecting a display.

For 60 dollars that board has every single thing you need and all your components will work, It even leaves you room for expansion. And for 140 if you want to overclock and go for max performance that board is perfect. The AsRock board.

Trust me, get a micro atx board. You will just spend money for parts you won't use getting an atx board.