Advice On My Build

gide0n

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Hello all. I'm building a modest machine, this will be my second one. I'm knowledgeable about computers to a degree, and I believe I've done my homework, but I was hoping some of you guys might be able to take a look at my build and tell me if you think I might have any issues to look out for, or if maybe I might need to get additional components. I'm a musician, and will mostly be doing music production on this machine.

Any input, help or advice is much appreciated.

OS - Windows 10 Pro

Case - Fractal Design Define R5 White Window Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case

Motherboard - ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH Z170 S LGA 1151

CPU - Intel Core i7-6700K

CPU Fan - Phanteks PH-TC12DX Dual 120mm PWM CPU Cooler (Get a better one if I OC?)

RAM - CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory Kit Model

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W

HDD - WD Blue 3TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB

Solution
With a 1070, you'll want a 550w PSU with an overclocked CPU.
The Seagate 1+2TB HDDs are good, but the higher capacities suffer from high failure rates (4TB+).
WD Caviar Blues are the best value in the 1TB form, as they retain the 7200RPM speed which is pretty much a must-have nowadays, as 5400RPM pales in comparison.
SSDs will make programs run faster, and will allow your OS to boot much faster.
Only install software and OS on your SSD, any games etc. will just clog it up with virtually no difference.
The build you've bought is perfectly fine, but some components are overpriced.
It will work though! :)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I would suggest adding an SSD (for OS), that drive is huge but slow as a snail compared to even a cheap adata SSD. this is the last drive I worked with. I liked it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211984&cm_re=adata_ssd-_-20-211-984-_-Product
The power supply is a bit of overkill, I love that it has a 10 yr warranty but you will not even get close to consuming 350W even overclocking. without a dedicated GPU the PSU is a lot much, with a 1080 its still a tad high. if you plan on running dual video cards down the line and just want to be ready now, then that's the power supply.

bmw-vision

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
Seeing this is for audio editing, the power supply is overkill, a 600W would still be high, but would leave some upgrading room. Also a better quality HDD might be useful since you are going to store large files on it. Maybe a WD Black or caviar series.

I've included a 2TB 7200RPM HDD which you'll want. 3TB is a little excessive for music work, and it bumps up the cost significantly as it means you'd have to get a WD Black for a quality drive.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($100.56 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($126.83 @ OutletPC)
Total: $979.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-07 21:14 EDT-0400

gide0n

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Ok, so I would just like to thank you all first for taking the time to help me out.

I do plan on adding an aftermarket GPU down the road, probably a 1070, so I imagine that will add a little something to the power consumption, how much I'm not sure, you guys seem to understand power quite well. The PSU was $99, and I will probably be using a few other HDD's, will that still be too much?

Also could I damage the build using that much power?

As for the HDD, it was on sale, and tbh, I just need a huge amount of storage, speed isn't really something I was worried about. But I do like that Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive. I may take that idea and run with it.

I do plan on getting an SSD down the road, but just wanted to make sure it was something I really needed. Will it benefit me in ways other than making programs load faster. Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Chugalug_. Thank you for the build suggestion, but this build is already shipped. I luckily already have a copy of Windows 10 pro ready for this machine. I think I will use your CPU fan suggestion, I hadn't seen that one before.

With a 1070, you'll want a 550w PSU with an overclocked CPU.
The Seagate 1+2TB HDDs are good, but the higher capacities suffer from high failure rates (4TB+).
WD Caviar Blues are the best value in the 1TB form, as they retain the 7200RPM speed which is pretty much a must-have nowadays, as 5400RPM pales in comparison.
SSDs will make programs run faster, and will allow your OS to boot much faster.
Only install software and OS on your SSD, any games etc. will just clog it up with virtually no difference.
The build you've bought is perfectly fine, but some components are overpriced.
It will work though! :)

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in order asked

no. OC (180W), 5 drives (50W), 2 x 1070 (350W) and you would still have power to spare. estimates are high by the way actual usage will be lower

no the power supply will only supply what the PC needs as it needs it, as I said you will not approach 350 watts even overclocking.

this is why I suggested an ssd, windows on a slow drive is unacceptable, to me at least.

Boot and shutdown times, application installations/loads/saves will all be greatly sped up.

gide0n

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Another round of gratitude to everyone. Thank you again.

I'm sold on the SSD! I believe I will either return the 3TB, or just keep it and buy an additional SSD. I do have a lot of junk that won't need to be accessed that often.

So if I may ask another question or two. Once I get this SSD, obviously the OS will be on it, but how do I know which programs will benefit from it? I've heard that you shouldn't allow writing operations, only read, is that correct?

Thank you guys again for answering these questions, I will look into the PSU. I may swap it, I may not. Really it would just come down to not wanting to wait to return it. I see the logic in what you guys are saying. I put my specs into a PSU calculator, and it spit out 750, so I just went for it lol :/

gide0n

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
One more question if possible. I just realized that my CPU cooler is an LGA 1150, but my board is an LGA 1151. I know the question has been asked before, but the answers were from a year ago, I'm curious if the opinion has changed. Is it still safe to use this cooler, or should I swap it out for a new one?

SnaKeSisNG

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

I have heard that LGA 1150 CPU Coolers are compatible with LGA 1151.

Also, you probably already bought the CPU but, in my opinion, you should've got the 6600k. I'm no professional but I'm pretty sure you don't need hyperthreading for music production unless you had an extra ~150 dollars in your budget and decided to use it for a CPU (instead of saving for a GPU). Which is acceptable I guess.