Advice on my Mobo Purchase?

benjaminbaker85

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
As of right now I have an AMD and an Intel Rig. I managed to do this basically by chance, caught a guy frustrated with his system who just tossed a board and chip at me (ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 + Intel i7 2600k). Honestly...I reset the CMOS and flashed the BIOS and it was fine (save the massive amount of dust I had to spend 2 hours cleaning off before I felt confident turning on the board). This board might be five years old and dusty, but it's pretty beast. I was able to EASILY get the overclock you'll find below (CPUZ link) and keep it stable.

Now, concerning the rig in my profile, I may sell the board/chip for a couple hundred and use the proceeds to buy a new Intel board. Now, as I switched to AMD in 2008 and never looked back, I have missed much of the nuance of the newer generations of Intel processors.

Can anyone recommend a good motherboard for this, between 100 and 200, that will be compatible with any future hardware (cooling) and my i7 chip?

I'm a big fan of my MSI Radeon RX 480, so I may indulge in a second one at some point, so this is something to keep in mind, I suppose.

Here's my Intel i7 2600k Overclock: http://valid.x86.fr/ym0jss

benjaminbaker85

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

I think you misread my OP. I'm selling an AMD FX8320 and an ASUS Pro Gaming 970 Aura, which should give people an idea of the price range I'm considering, to buy a board to support a rig of an Intel i7 2600k and my DDR3 RAM/MSI Radeon RX480 GPU.

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014
How long do you think you're going to keep that sandy bridge? At some point you're going to upgrade the CPU, so I don't know if it's worth investing in a new motherboard for it. Why do you want to change it now? I'm assuming you already have one, since you posted the OC frequency.