[SOLVED] Advice on my upgrade

Jul 28, 2019
Hello everyone,

my old build, which i will list the specs below, is not working anymore. Long story short, the motherboard is the problem. I was digging a bit trying to replace the motherboard, but ofcourse it is 2019 and nobody sells a LGA 1155 Z series motherboard anymore. I am very reluctant to buy from second hand as well, so i decided to upgrade my PC instead. Here are the old specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45

CPU: I5-3570K (OC to 4.2Ghz, after market cooler)

GPU: MSI geforce gtx 1070 gaming X 8g

RAM: Kingston's KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX (2x DDR3 4 gb RAM)

PSU: Corsair VS650

Now, i am by no means an expert. All of the things i write here are from self research. My criteria for choosing the motherboard ofcourse depends on the choice of CPU (AMD vs Intel). Additionally, due to my very old DDR3 RAMs, i will have to most likely replace them with a DDR4 for compatible ones, which will add additional costs. With a budget of under 500 EUR together the parts i was thinking of getting are:

CPU: I5-8600K (ca. 275 EUR) or R5 3600X (ca. 260 EUR)

If i were to get a intel CPU, i think i can keep on using the after market cooler i used for the 3570k to overclock, while if i got the 3600x i was planning to start out using the stock wraith spire cooler.

Motherboard: Some Z motherboard (need recommendation) or MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC (ca. 115 EUR)

The motherboard has to fit my current case, which is a Zalman Z12 plus (midtower, dimensions: 215(W) x 470(H) x 480(D) mm, PCI compatibility Full Size, 290 mm)

RAM: DDR4 8-16 gb total

I read somewhere that for the system to take full advantage of an AMD CPU i should have a fast RAM (ca. 3000 MHz) and dual DIMM configuration, which limits me to probably 2x 8gb. I am not sure if this is strictly true.

So, what do you guys think? Do the parts make sense? Any advice? i mostly game on my PC with a few image/video rendering for my work. Please let me know if i have missed any details.

Solution
About the 3600x, so if i am understanding this right, i can get the same performance with the 3600, if i overclock it myself? I am guessing the stock coolers are different for 3600 and 3600x, so if i were to overclock it, i would most likely have to buy a after market cooler..
Yes, you can overclock the 3600 to the 3600x performance. You might need to get an aftermarket cooler. However, if you were to get one in the $40 range, you have spent the same price as the 3600x, but also ended up with an aftermarket cooler.
The 3600x is just a pre-overclocked 3600.
Personally, I'd recommend the Ryzen. Cheaper for similar performance. You could (and should) save money by using the 3600 seeming as you are already familiar with overclocking. You are correct about the RAM as well... dual channel 3000+ MHz is best. However, you will need to confirm that the motherboard has the newest BIOS update, or get one that you can update without a compatible CPU, for Ryzen 3000 support. The MSI b450 Tomahawk is a good one to update yourself.
Before buying new components, have you confirmed that the PSU is not the problem? Corsair VS is pretty low quality, and it might have failed on you.

Reactions: AngelTech
The 3600x is just a pre-overclocked 3600.
Personally, I'd recommend the Ryzen. Cheaper for similar performance. You could (and should) save money by using the 3600 seeming as you are already familiar with overclocking. You are correct about the RAM as well... dual channel 3000+ MHz is best.

Before buying new components, have you confirmed that the PSU is not the problem? Corsair VS is pretty low quality, and it might have failed on you.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Reactions: ConanLock
Jul 28, 2019
Thank you for the speedy reply!

Yes, i know for sure that it is not the PSU, as i have tested it on an another PC.
About the 3600x, so if i am understanding this right, i can get the same performance with the 3600, if i overclock it myself? I am guessing the stock coolers are different for 3600 and 3600x, so if i were to overclock it, i would most likely have to buy a after market cooler.
Thanks again for confirming some of my doubts. I think i am also more partial to the ryzen, and I will look further into pricing and different RAM.

About the 3600x, so if i am understanding this right, i can get the same performance with the 3600, if i overclock it myself? I am guessing the stock coolers are different for 3600 and 3600x, so if i were to overclock it, i would most likely have to buy a after market cooler..
Yes, you can overclock the 3600 to the 3600x performance. You might need to get an aftermarket cooler. However, if you were to get one in the $40 range, you have spent the same price as the 3600x, but also ended up with an aftermarket cooler.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS