Advice on network setup

Smartmlp

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
Hello, I have my neighbor about 2 houses down from me.
I need a way to wirelessly connect us. I was recommened to use 15 db Directional Antenna on both ends, or to go even as high as 24db. I dont know what brand of AP to get or clinet side.... basicly I am starting with nothing and I need to make a list of what I would need. I have been told it is possible by someone, please do give your thoughts if you think otherwise as the person who told me may be wrong (I have no idea)

<b> Its all questionable<b> :tongue:

This really depends on a lot of things.

First is there a line of site between the two houses?And distance between houses? Are they brick, wood siding or aluminum siding etc. It all makes a difference on what you might need. All situations are different.

I have a Linksys wireless router and a linksys USB v2 2dba antenna that connects to my sons home about 500ft. away if it is in his window. But anywhere else the signal drops and disconnects in some places

I also have a pair of Linksys wap11 access points hooked up to homemade coffee can antennas that send the signal over to my sister-in-laws home. This is about 700 ft. away through the woods. Signal is good except in HEAVY storms. When the leaves get wet.

A 25dba gain directional antenna will do about 2 to 3 miles if line of site is available.(under perfect conditions and aiming close to 10 miles is possible with line of sight) If you are trying to shoot through your neighbors house this might be necessary.

Antenna placement and aiming is a high priority for signal strength.

So give us a little more info and we can suggest more detailed info on what you need or might need.

I aint signing nothing!!!

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
500 feet without line of sight? Start looking for other avenues. If you can get partially obstructed LOS then you'd have a poor chance, depending on numerous variables. With solid objects in the way, you can pretty much forget it.