Build Advice Advice on new build, mainly regarding RAM & PSU ?

Urusei6265

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
Hi,

I'm just after a little advice on a couple of bits regarding a build I am trying to do on the cheap:

Current bits relevant to my questions are:

MSI B450 Gaming plus Max Mobo
Ryzen 5 2600x
1070ti graphics card
Corsair MP510 NVME SSD
Will be fan cooled and probably about 1 CPU fan and maybe 3-4 RGB case fans (For a 11 year old)

Main usage will be gaming....specifically Varlerant and Fortnight at present I think. That kind of nonsense. Monitor is only full HD and 60hz so realistically I don't think settings for those games will be the issue.

My remaining two bits are where my queries lie:

1. I have 16GB of DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2133hz Ram which is spare from other builds. Based on the above would it be noticably better to upgrade this to 3200.
  2. PSU - I have calced this at around 550w but I am far from sure as to my figures on this. Am I about right? Would i be better going for 750W PSU to give a bit of leeway. Rather not spend too much on the PSU. Nothing too far north of 50quid would be ideal. Any recommended? I would rather spend a little more to have less chance of frying my components
  3. Is the system fairly well balanced?
Any advice would be appreciated as always.

Cheers

Reactions: Why_Me

Urusei6265

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
550W will work just fine with that build and yes to 3200mhz RAM. Decent build and it allows you to upgrade in the future to a AMD 5600 cpu.

Thanks for coming back. I'm surprised by the RAM speed difference. For some reason I had it in my head that any benefits would only be noticeable at the higher end of usage.

Will get myself a PSU and some more ram and crack on.

Reactions: Why_Me
What parts do you already have? It is not clear to me.
The wattage of the psu will depend mostly on the graphics card.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
It suggests 550w for a 1070ti.
If you can, buy much stronger to allow for a future graphics card upgrade.
750 or 850w.
It will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

One bit of advice.....
DO NOT BUY A CHEAP PSU!
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It may not have all safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability;
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not buy one.

How can you tell quality??
Look at the warranty. If it has a 7 to 10 year warranty, the quality will be good.

Urusei6265

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
MSI B450 Gaming plus Max Mobo
Ryzen 5 2600x
Nvidia GTX1070ti graphics card
Corsair MP510 NVME SSD
Will be fan cooled and probably about 1 CPU fan and maybe 3-4 RGB case fans (For a 11 year old)

those are the bits I already have. Previous reply says I should be fine with a 550w. I guess future proofing with a 650 or 750 may be no bad thing.

Thanks for the tip regarding the PSU. So if I went for a Corsair TX750 or some such I guess that will be reasonable quality and worth the extra 30 quid. I hear that gold standard or what ever its called is a paid for badge nowadays so not overly worth concentrating on.

TX-750 has a 5 year warranty.
I would like to see 7 or more.
Gold rating is a efficiency standard.
Most modern power supplies will have that.
It is not a paid for badge, but I suppose some questionable makers might fudge on that. Some equate gold rating to quality but that is not valid.

If you can, Seasonic focus and corsair rm will be top quality.

TRENDING THREADS