Build Advice Advice on new build using a B450M mobo ?

neiru

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I have a brand new Gigabyte B450M DS3H mother board.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HQ...ifi-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-ds3h-wifi

I want to put this motherboard to good use. I have parts from an old computer that no longer works. What can I salvage or buy to make this into a workable computer not for gaming, just net surfing and watching videos. Nothing heavy. It should be able to handle having multiple tabs open.

The parts that I have are these...
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820233911?Item=N82E16820233911
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-850-evo-250gb/p/N82E16820147372?Item=N82E16820147372
Ryzen 5 CPU
Generic 500 w PSU

Thanks.

Ditch the generic 500w PSU or else you might as well save yourself the time and expense of buying this and building it, and just pour gas on the rest of it and light it on fire. No, I am not joking.

What is the ACTUAL model of the "generic 500w PSU"

The optical drive is probably irrelevant unless you know you need it because you perform tasks like burning DVDs with it. Most cases don't even support 5.25" drives anymore. Very few of them do.

What can you afford to throw at the rest of the parts that you need and what country are you in, since that is going to matter?

Reactions: Karadjgne

neiru

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Ditch the generic 500w PSU or else you might as well save yourself the time and expense of buying this and building it, and just pour gas on the rest of it and light it on fire. No, I am not joking.

What is the ACTUAL model of the "generic 500w PSU"

The optical drive is probably irrelevant unless you know you need it because you perform tasks like burning DVDs with it. Most cases don't even support 5.25" drives anymore. Very few of them do.

What can you afford to throw at the rest of the parts that you need and what country are you in, since that is going to matter?

The PSU is a Thermaltake 500 W Smart .
I don't want to spend much. This computer is just for watching videos, web browsing, nothing extreme. U.S. Thank you.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
All it needs is a basic graphics card and a decent PSU for your stated purpose. Well and a case to put it all in. Budget dictates what to get. The fractal focus g is a nice budget case that can hold the DVD drive or you can go with a smaller case but they tend to cost more

Yeah, the Smart series units aren't great but for a very low powered graphics card or integrated adapter they are fine. And I wouldn't even recommend buying a graphics card for a build like this as it's totally not necessary.

This would do perfectly fine. Probably even more capable than what you need for what you stated you'd be doing with it. No graphics card needed as the CPU has integrated graphics which are one step down from the best integrated graphics you can get currently, which would be the 5700G. So you could still even do some gaming on very light titles at 1080p if you wanted and possibly even some AAA games if the resource demands are very low and you don't mind lower settings.

It also happens to be just about the cheapest good option regardless of what you want to do, right now. The 4600G could be used too, which is about 20 bucks cheaper, but it has significantly lower performance.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($124.07 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ B&H)
Total: $179.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-15 13:52 EST-0500

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, the Smart series units aren't great but for a very low powered graphics card or integrated adapter they are fine. And I wouldn't even recommend buying a graphics card for a build like this as it's totally not necessary.

This would do perfectly fine. Probably even more capable than what you need for what you stated you'd be doing with it. No graphics card needed as the CPU has integrated graphics which are one step down from the best integrated graphics you can get currently, which would be the 5700G. So you could still even do some gaming on very light titles at 1080p if you wanted and possibly even some AAA games if the resource demands are very low and you don't mind lower settings.

It also happens to be just about the cheapest good option regardless of what you want to do, right now. The 4600G could be used too, which is about 20 bucks cheaper, but it has significantly lower performance.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($124.07 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ B&H)
Total: $179.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-15 13:52 EST-0500

I'd normally recommend it too, but it seems he already has the CPU without integrated graphics, though some clarification beyond "Ryzen 5 CPU" would of course be appreciated.

I have that exact graphics card in my test board on my bench right now. Works perfectly fine in Windows 7, 8.1, 10 and 11 using the native drivers or the driver directly from Nvidia. Also had no problem doing full UEFI installations with that card installed. But if they want to spend another 20 bucks for a GT 1030 that's certainly an option. I just don't really see the point in that card existing. It's performance is barely better than the GT 730 although I suppose it might have some benefit going forward as it's likely to be supported longer than the GT 730 except that they are still manufacturing the GT 730 cards unlike most everything else from that series.

I mean, if you're going to spend 90 dollars on a graphics card, a really bare bones one, you might just as well go with the 5600G for 35 bucks more, that has about double the 2d performance as the GT 1030, the same 3d performance (Which won't be a factor if they aren't gaming) and potentially better CPU performance depending on what Ryzen 5 they have right now, and then just sell the CPU they already have to recoup some of the CPU investment. Probably end up with a better configuration all the way around AND spend less money if you sell the existing CPU.

Would definitely be good to know what CPU they have now though.

neiru

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I already have a tower. The less I can spend the better. I could do $100, more if it's really worth it. I think it's a Ryzen 5 1600. 3.2 GHz base. I don't think it has integrated graphics.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The GT1030 supports 4k playback at 60Hz, the GT730 GDDR5 version supports 4k playback at 30Hz and the GT730 DDR3 doesn't support 4k playback at all.

The 5600G supports 4k playback at 60Hz.

Many ppl are now using their 4k TV as a giant monitor instead of a dedicated pc monitor, especially those not all that interested in gaming, because it's a better platform to watch videos, movies, listen to music etc. So a DVD player could come in handy for things like RedBox or other home media.

So as advised, I'd go with the 5600G, and I'd be looking at cases like the Fractal Design 1100, Micro Mini tower as it's small, has front loaded DVD and no bling to distract from the TV during late night movie watching, so can be parked unobtrusively

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that $125 for the 5600g is the way to go if you have a 1600 right now.

not only does it give you solid graphics for your needs but you also get a large increase in cpu power to keep it relevant for a long time to come. it's honestly the way i'd go if i was in your spot.

you can keep the 1600 and just get the cheap gpu that is much weaker than what you'd get with the 5600g if you so desire. but i think it won't take long before you start to regret that decision.

Reactions: neiru
The 1600 is poo poo. I mean, it will work, but with it you will STILL have to buy a graphics card and there is no graphics card you can buy that has better performance than what the 5600G has built in, for less than the price of the 5600G.

Plus, even if you found a graphics card that had better performance than the graphics built into the 5600G for less than the cost of the 5600G, you'd STILL have crappy CPU performance because the Ryzen 1600 wasn't terrific to start with and is now 5 years old. I realize you don't really need top notch performance for the kind of machine you are wanting to end up with but if you have to invest some money anyhow seems like it only makes sense to get the most performance you can for the amount of dollars you are going to spend anyway. And that is why the 5600G is the only solution here that makes any sense at all.

Additionally, as another plus, IF you decide later on you DO need to be able to game or run somewhat more complex applications, you'll already have a very capable processor that can handle that and that would work fine with any gaming card you wanted to add. If you never did that, you still wouldn't lose anything. This would give a system that would be capable enough to probably last you five or six years AT LEAST before you might have to look at it again in terms of still being capable enough. Possibly longer, who knows.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's actually 2x 1600's. The original was based on Zen architecture, so has a history of issues with ram, which may or may not be fixed by recent Agesa updates and bios updates.

It's replacement was based on the Zen+ architecture and us considerably newer and upgraded, has better performance and less issues all around. It's close enough where the 1600 AF and 2600 are almost the same cpu.

If that 1600 you have is an original release, it's not worth keeping, even if you had a free gpu. The re-release AF version, maybe, with a free gpu, but otherwise the 5600G/5700G will offer much better value overall.

The 5600G has almost double the performance of a 1600 AF in every benchmark from Cinebench to Geekbench, single core and multi-core.

The 5600G gets slightly better video performance than a GT1030, almost as good as the Rx550, which is seriously impressive for an igpu.

Higher performance means less time waiting on videos to load, less time waiting on websites to appear, less time wasted on waiting.

Emoji_Thumbs_up_001.png

TRENDING THREADS