[SOLVED] Advice on new build (will be ordering parts this week)

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Good Afternoon all,

I will be building a new gaming rig this week but I've been out of the components market for a LONG time, I havent built a rig in about 7 or 8 years and all my current gaming happens on GIGABYTE P56xt laptop, which to be fair has an i7 7700 with a GTX1070 and can VR with very reasonable fps.

I have set myself a budget of ~£1600 and would like to know if I am achieving my best bang for buck, or if I could get better results for the same ££ or less. What I'm not after is for someone to completely re-write my build, I have chosen an intel CPU with an NVidia GPU so please don't recommend I swap for a Ryzen with AMD. You may ask why go intel, well I also play a few older games (KSP for example) that only really utilise a single core, so I want the best single core power I can get while still getting the best multi core performance for modern AAA and VR games.

So.… All parts from SCAN
MOBO: ASUS Prime z490-P (Considering ROG Strix z490-F Gaming +£100)
CPU: I7 10700k 8 core OC'd 5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT
MEM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz
(This comes as a pre built bundle factory overclocked and tested to 5GHz, better for warranty cover)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC Turing 8GB
OS HDD: M.2 500GB WD Black SN750 with heatsink
Storage HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB ST4000
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Case: Sahara P35 RGB

This build will set me back £1650 with the ASUS prime, £1750 with the ROG Strix which is pushing the budget. Hardware I already own that it will be teaming up with:

HTC Vive
X52 Flightsick
G29 Race wheel

As an example of what I currently or will play...

Flight SIM 2020 when released (who isn't excited for this???)
Assetto corsa race sim (VR)
IL-2 Sturmovik (VR)
Elite Dangerous (VR)
Civ VI
KSP
RDR2
……………… I could keep going but ill stop there

If you made it this far I appreciate you taking the time to read, and any meaningful input or advice before I buy will be greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Solution
would we really see this kind of performance increase across the whole range though? Ive read we may see this with the 3090 over the 1080TI but there's no way id pay that much for a GPU anyway. Id be more interested in the real world performance increase with the 3070 or 3080 over the equivalent 2000. Maybe in a year or so id consider the upgrade, I'm sure id still get a fair chunk selling a 2080 Super.
Yes definitely. We will be seeing that big of a jump in performance. But if the 3080Ti(3090) is priced at 1000-1200GBP I recommend going for it. Spend additional 800-900GBP for rest of the system. Till then add as much as possible. Even if you add 100gbp to budget per month it will still take you to 1900-2000GBP. No you won't...
Jul 24, 2020
I may have missed it, but I think you need a SDD drive to put your games on. Games are more enjoyable with the SDD. Not sure about the rest of the build. The Samsung 250GB SSD is about 60 American dollars.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A)
I have chosen an intel CPU with an NVidia GPU so please don't recommend I swap for a Ryzen with AMD. You may ask why go intel, well I also play a few older games (KSP for example) that only really utilise a single core, so I want the best single core power I can get while still getting the best multi core performance for modern AAA and VR games.
Well ok, but the performance gap between Intel and Ryzen 3000 narrows:
-above 1080p resolution. Intel has a speed advantage at 1080p and lower. VR is equivalent to 4K.
-when not using a top tier gpu. You really need to throw value out the window with an Intel build, and the 2070 Super isn't quite there.
Sorry, but 'bang for buck' doesn't work exceptionally well with an Intel setup.
Someone with a Ryzen 3600X/3700X will yield similar levels of performance for a fair bit less - heck, they could probably step up to a 2080 Super - which would be even better for VR - with the difference in platform cost.
You gotta be willing to splurge for Intel's gaming edge.

B)A 240mm AIO/CLC will bend at the knee with that cpu's overclock in stress tests and certain benchmarks. If you go with that pre-OC'd cpu, don't bother trying to push it further, 'cause you'll need a beefier cooler.
280/360mm or one of the top tier air coolers.

C)Another Sahara P35...
Dust magnet - no preinstalled filtered front intake. I guess they had to do that, or the thermals would suck too hard.

D)CX650M with a 2070 Super?
Ehh, not a great combination, but it won't blow up on ya.

6/10, I think?

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I may have missed it, but I think you need a SDD drive to put your games on. Games are more enjoyable with the SDD. Not sure about the rest of the build. The Samsung 250GB SSD is about 60 American dollars.

Thank you for your response, the OS and applications will be on a 500GB M.2 SSD, when it comes to games anything below 1TB is a waste of time, I could fill that Samsung SSD with about 3 modern games which just causes a headache. I figured a 4TB conventional drive would be better for this reason, besides it will only be used for games which can utilise the full read/write speeds not having to share with the OS.

At least in my head this make logical sense...

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
A)

Well ok, but the performance gap between Intel and Ryzen 3000 narrows:
-above 1080p resolution. Intel has a speed advantage at 1080p and lower. VR is equivalent to 4K.
-when not using a top tier gpu. You really need to throw value out the window with an Intel build, and the 2070 Super isn't quite there.
Sorry, but 'bang for buck' doesn't work exceptionally well with an Intel setup.
Someone with a Ryzen 3600X/3700X will yield similar levels of performance for a fair bit less - heck, they could probably step up to a 2080 Super - which would be even better for VR - with the difference in platform cost.
You gotta be willing to splurge for Intel's gaming edge.

B)A 240mm AIO/CLC will bend at the knee with that cpu's overclock in stress tests and certain benchmarks. If you go with that pre-OC'd cpu, don't bother trying to push it further, 'cause you'll need a beefier cooler.
280/360mm or one of the top tier air coolers.

C)Another Sahara P35...
Dust magnet - no preinstalled filtered front intake. I guess they had to do that, or the thermals would suck too hard.

D)CX650M with a 2070 Super?
Ehh, not a great combination, but it won't blow up on ya.

6/10, I think?

Hi Phaaze88,

Thank you for your response.
And well, that's a disheartening score... I certainly don't want to spend £1600 on a 6/10....

I had a real feeling the first comment would be about Ryzen so I guess I should just accept this is going to be a valid point.

A) I should have mentioned I use a 32" Ultrawide 1440 120Hz Samsung so when not in VR this is where my resolution will be aiming for with 100+ fps.
I consider the 2070 Super to be a top tier GPU, is this not the general consensus or have I miss understood what you've written?

Do you think its possible build a Ryzen based system with a 2080 Super and keep single core speeds high enough for older games for £1600? Id certainly give it some thought.....

B) don't worry I have no intention of pushing the CPU any harder that the pre OC'd 5Ghz, although if you have a better cooler in mind....

C) Another? I guess this case keeps popping up in builds recently? It was the best case I could find on SCAN looks wise (personal preference) without blowing the budget. either I buy a more expensive case at the expense of components, or spend more overall which I'm trying sooo hard not to do. It would be too easy to say F it an blow £2500 on a build but im trying to be responsible.

D) I was also waiting for this one, the CX650M again is the best I could fit into the budget. Ive started to read bad things about Corsairs PSUs - again I'm open to advice.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry that took so long, I was trying to look some things up and compare pricing from Scan.

A)1440p. Even less of a reason to go with the Intel cpu, as games will be more gpu bound even when not playing VR.
2070 Super is like Nvidia's best price to performance. There's this one video I saw that showed the performance gaps between Intel and Ryzen 3000 with different gpu tiers - if I could just find the bloody thing...

B)If you're not going to, that's fine. Operating thermals do not affect the 10700K's boost clocks, save for the critical 100C limit.

C)It pops up from time to time, due to the package and it's cost... doesn't make it great though.
At, or around the same price from SCAN, there's:
Msi MAG Forge 100R
Gamemax F15M Mesh
Corsair 275R Airflow
[You've probably noticed a certain pattern by now...]
Cooler Master Masterbox NR600
Silverstone RL06
NZXT H510
Antec NX800

D)WTH, why is the CX650M priced so high in Scan? You've got better options than that, at the same, or even at lower prices!
Antec EA650G Pro, Neo Eco Zen Gold 600/700
be quiet! Pure Power 11 600
Corsair CX650(currently on sale): the non-Ms are a slightly better build than the M
Corsair TX550M
Seasonic Focus Gold GX-550, Core Gold GM-650

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Sorry that took so long, I was trying to look some things up and compare pricing from Scan.

A)1440p. Even less of a reason to go with the Intel cpu, as games will be more gpu bound even when not playing VR.
2070 Super is like Nvidia's best price to performance. There's this one video I saw that showed the performance gaps between Intel and Ryzen 3000 with different gpu tiers - if I could just find the bloody thing...

B)If you're not going to, that's fine. Operating thermals do not affect the 10700K's boost clocks, save for the critical 100C limit.

C)It pops up from time to time, due to the package and it's cost... doesn't make it great though.
At, or around the same price from SCAN, there's:
Msi MAG Forge 100R
Gamemax F15M Mesh
Corsair 275R Airflow
[You've probably noticed a certain pattern by now...]
Cooler Master Masterbox NR600
Silverstone RL06
NZXT H510
Antec NX800

D)WTH, why is the CX650M priced so high in Scan? You've got better options than that, at the same, or even at lower prices!
Antec EA650G Pro, Neo Eco Zen Gold 600/700
be quiet! Pure Power 11 600
Corsair CX650(currently on sale): the non-Ms are a slightly better build than the M
Corsair TX550M
Seasonic Focus Gold GX-550, Core Gold GM-650

That's no problem, I appreciate that you've taken the time to do that.

A) So this is where it gets so difficult, even back when I built my last rig 8 odd years ago it was the same old Intel vs AMD argument.... Back then I went AMD! So from my research and what you have said I think its a case of I could get almost on par performance for less ££?

The ultimate question is could I get better performance from any Ryzen CPU + 2070 super at the same price bracket, or reduce the cost of the CPU/MBO enough to squeeze in a 2080 Super without taking an unreasonable hit on CPU performance? (This would need a £300 saving on combined CPU/MOBO)

C) I think the pattern is the mesh and dust protection? of the ones you listed the 2 I like the look of are the Antec NX800 and GameMax F15M... Neither look as good as the Sahara but I appreciate keeping the components cool and dust free is more important. Ill have to think.

D) Ill swap out the PSU, to be honest I felt uncomfortable with it anyway. Ill do some comparisons and go from there. Would you say any of them are stand out above the rest?

I feel like a different case and PSU might get a 7/10 from you, but im not going to do better without adopting Ryzen :pThat's going to take some convincing as mentioned above I just don't think ill get better performance, just save a few quid that I cant really invest elsewhere in the build that's significant.

Thanks

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Tom's did a good review on gpu's and scaling with different resolutions.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-vs-intel-core-i9-9900k-gaming

At 1440p it's just a few frames between Intel and AMD with a 2070S.

When the 4000 series Ryzen's are released, it will likely be neck and neck.

Thanks that was an interesting read, what I've come away with is at this level (Ryzen 9 vs Intel 9th Gen) I'm only going to be looking at somewhere between a 3% and 6% increase in performance in favour of intel which is splitting hairs and not visible in real world gaming. This being a 10th Gen id say a little more % points but what's is important to me is single core power which I believe Intel is strides ahead and this would be noticeable real world on a 10700k. Please if I'm wrong im happy to hear it.

Yes building a modern day rig with playing old games in mind seems a bit silly but there are some 10 - 15 year old gems I still love to play. For example I play IL-2 Sturmovik a lot in VR and not (a WW2 flight Sim) that really benefits from single thread performance . This is why the 10700k wins for me.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A)That, or allow you to get a stronger gpu.

B)The price equivalent to the 10700K is the 3900X... but that's not very good for a gaming only machine - 3700X then, and that can be paired with B450(specific models), B550, or X570 motherboards.
It also doesn't require exotic cooling.

C)Bingo. While chassis with solid front panels look(subjective) nice, many do so at the cost of overall thermal performance.
The mesh, while not as visually appealing(subjective again), can still give users some flair without tossing cooling ability aside.

D)The TX550M and the Focus Gold GX-550.

It's all ultimately up to you. I'm just some stranger giving some suggestions that may or may not interest you.

EDIT: I'm also forgetting about Ryzen 4000 and RTX 3000 later this year, shame on me... you might want to wait for those. If not, disregard.

Last edited:

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
A)That, or allow you to get a stronger gpu.

B)The price equivalent to the 10700K is the 3900X... but that's not very good for a gaming only machine - 3700X then, and that can be paired with B450(specific models), B550, or X570 motherboards.
It also doesn't require exotic cooling.

C)Bingo. While chassis with solid front panels look(subjective) nice, many do so at the cost of overall thermal performance.
The mesh, while not as visually appealing(subjective again), can still give users some flair without tossing cooling ability aside.

D)The TX550M and the Focus Gold GX-550.

It's all ultimately up to you. I'm just some stranger giving some suggestions that may or may not interest you.

Haha I started this thread to get suggestions from strangers and you have been helpful, even if its only the PSU I swap out that's a win. After all its the component feeding everything else with power so pretty crucial... or not

B) If single core performance wasn't important I would happily save the ££ and switch, but even with VR and AAA game performance running about equal I think an I7 10700k at 5GHz wins for me simply on that point.

C) Ill study the Sahara a bit closer and see if there is room for a custom mesh to be placed in front of the intake fans - This is something I hadn't considered so thank you.

D) Ill take both of these into consideration.

Ill leave this thread open until I've made the purchase (waiting for pay day on Wednesday) to keep my options open.

Reactions: Phaaze88

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
@nate_2011
You probably missed my edit, but:
"I'm also forgetting about Ryzen 4000 and RTX 3000 later this year, shame on me... you might want to wait for those. If not, disregard."

Well you may be interested to know you got me thinking when you mentioned spending less on the CPU/MOBO to make room for a 2080 Super, Ive done some maths and for the same price I could actually go with either the Ryzen 7 3700x or the I5 10600k. At this point I feel future upgrades do become more important. If I do go for a 2080 Super then I'm not bothered about the 3000 series GPUs as I doubt I would want to pay for 3080 Super/Ti at release price anyway. CPU on the other hand I would want a board that would allow me to easily upgrade to either the I7 10700K or a Ryzen 4000 series in a year or 2....

Again the I5 seems to out perform the 3700x, only just on modern games and a fair bit on single core performance.... Its deciding if the extra 2 cores are worth going AMD...

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs...-prime-z490-p-16gb-ddr4-be-quiet!-dark-rock-4

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs...-b450-f-gaming-16gb-ddr4-amd-wraith-prism-rgb

Other components would remain the same (bar the PSU)

You seem determined to buy Intel, so why not just admit that and buy one? i5 outperforming Ryzen a fair bit on single thread? At 1440p in games? Not so sure about that but crack on..

And you were considering a CX PSU with an expensive Intel build? Madness. If you have the budget for such a expensive system, you have the budget to not cheap out on the PSU.

In your position, I'd go for a Ryzen system, spend the money you save on a better graphics card and a power supply more appropriate for a high end build. The CX is not this. It's entry level.

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
You seem determined to buy Intel, so why not just admit that and buy one? i5 outperforming Ryzen a fair bit on single thread? At 1440p in games? Not so sure about that but crack on..

And you were considering a CX PSU with an expensive Intel build? Madness. If you have the budget for such a expensive system, you have the budget to not cheap out on the PSU.

In your position, I'd go for a Ryzen system, spend the money you save on a better graphics card and a power supply more appropriate for a high end build. The CX is not this. It's entry level.

I was determined to buy intel you are right and I never denied that, but I started this thread to hear other peoples opinions, isn't that the point? As mentioned I havent bought PC components for a long time so I'm hear to seek advice from people who are up to date with what's what... It sounds like you've simply missed the point of my post entirely..

If you read through the replies you would see the CX PSU has been dropped, Phaaze88 made some very good points which were taken on board and this was one of them, he gave me some good alternatives - job done! thank you.

I was advised to use an SSD to run games - A valid point but id rather greater storage and install an M.2 SSD for the OS

Ive learnt that my choice of case is a bit of a dust magnet - Well ill install a custom dust mesh in front or behind the intake fans... Again good advice, its what I came for!

Last thing, I have now realised if I go for an I5 or Ryzen I can fit the 2080 Super into my budget - Yet again this came from some good advice leading me to realise at 1440 I don't need an I7 10700...

If you have some good advice I'm here to listen..

I was determined to buy intel you are right and I never denied that, but I started this thread to hear other peoples opinions, isn't that the point? As mentioned I havent bought PC components for a long time so I'm hear to seek advice from people who are up to date with what's what... It sounds like you've simply missed the point of my post entirely..

If you read through the replies you would see the CX PSU has been dropped, Phaaze88 made some very good points which were taken on board and this was one of them, he gave me some good alternatives - job done! thank you.

I was advised to use an SSD to run games - A valid point but id rather greater storage and install an M.2 SSD for the OS

Ive learnt that my choice of case is a bit of a dust magnet - Well ill install a custom dust mesh in front or behind the intake fans... Again good advice, its what I came for!

Last thing, I have now realised if I go for an I5 or Ryzen I can fit the 2080 Super into my budget - Yet again this came from some good advice leading me to realise at 1440 I don't need an I7 10700...

If you have some good advice I'm here to listen..

I just think when someone is determined, as you honestly admit, you have to wonder if it's worth spending the time to give them advice because they'll do what they want anyway. Because that's what we do, spend our time giving you the best advice we can. I'm more than happy to advise you, you can see from my profile I've spent quite a bit of time doing that. I did miss the PSU post, so I'll apologise for not picking that up. But you've made the right decision there, especially when spending a lot on a new system.

I would take the Ryzen over the i5 as more threads is more important at resolutions higher than 1080p in the long term, we're even seeing that with old FX processors that they do better than some i5s of a similar age in some multithreaded games. More CPU grunt has diminishing returns when you go to higher resolutions. If you want greater storage, why not just run the games off a standard SATA SSD while keeping the NVME for the OS? They're not so expensive for a large one nowadays, although if you're not bothered about loading times a hard disk is fine. Some people want fast loading so that they're first on the map, but you may not be bothered about that. Phaaze is right about you not needing that i7 at that resolution, it'd be wasted money and as you say, you can now have a better graphics card by making that change.

On the case, I actually like the Sahara cases, I have a P75 and it's outstanding for airflow. The fans that come with it are okay as well, albeit with proprietary connections.

At the end of the day it's your money and your choice. But I've seen so many people come to forums like this asking for advice when they've pretty much made their mind up. It's often not worth advising them in such instances because they don't hear what they want to hear. This happens a lot.

I went through exactly what you are going through now seriously contemplating AMD or Intel with the 3700X/B550/X570 which would have been a significant saving but eventually went for the 10700K on the Gigabyte Z490 Ultra, though I already have a RTX 2080 and for gaming which is my primary use case especially gaming at 4K with Automobilsta 2, Assetto Corsa Comp also both in VR with a Rift S (simply stunning!), PUBG etc..The performance is stellar and the 10700K overclocks to 5.1GHz no issues at 1.295v and more than okay on cooling.

Yes Intel 10th Gen costs more than the equivalent Ryzen 3700X or even 3800X but for me personally I had the money wanted no hassle at all in setup and stability and thankfully there is a upgrade path in Rocket Lake S and PCIe Gen 4 and Rocket Lake engineering samples are now hitting 5GHz so that at least bodes well.

Also the 10600K is a mighty gaming CPU and overclocked is near on the 10900K level in gaming.

On the other side Ryzen cannot be overlooked especially when pricing comes into play as the difference could end up with a better GPU which would more than make up for the deficit in FPS in the CPU side...

At the end of the day you cannot really go wrong with either Intel or AMD so go with what you can afford....

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I just think when someone is determined, as you honestly admit, you have to wonder if it's worth spending the time to give them advice because they'll do what they want anyway. Because that's what we do, spend our time giving you the best advice we can. I'm more than happy to advise you, you can see from my profile I've spent quite a bit of time doing that. I did miss the PSU post, so I'll apologise for not picking that up. But you've made the right decision there, especially when spending a lot on a new system.

I would take the Ryzen over the i5 as more threads is more important at resolutions higher than 1080p in the long term, we're even seeing that with old FX processors that they do better than some i5s of a similar age in some multithreaded games. More CPU grunt has diminishing returns when you go to higher resolutions. If you want greater storage, why not just run the games off a standard SATA SSD while keeping the NVME for the OS? They're not so expensive for a large one nowadays, although if you're not bothered about loading times a hard disk is fine. Some people want fast loading so that they're first on the map, but you may not be bothered about that. Phaaze is right about you not needing that i7 at that resolution, it'd be wasted money and as you say, you can now have a better graphics card by making that change.

On the case, I actually like the Sahara cases, I have a P75 and it's outstanding for airflow. The fans that come with it are okay as well, albeit with proprietary connections.

At the end of the day it's your money and your choice. But I've seen so many people come to forums like this asking for advice when they've pretty much made their mind up. It's often not worth advising them in such instances because they don't hear what they want to hear. This happens a lot.

I wanted to avoid AMD discussion as I didn't want this thread to descend into another AMD vs Intel fanboy argument but I can see that the argument is a valid one, and against my initial resistance I am now contemplating the Ryzen so id say it is 100% worth spending the time giving that advice as long as its not purely for arguments sake. In this instance its the idea of spending the extra couple hundred pounds on a 2080 Super that has me re thinking my position..

This has now turned into a balancing act between CPU and GPU and where money is better spent. For example on Userbenchmark my build with an I7 10700k + 2070 Super scores 113% for gaming, the 3700x + 2080 117% and the I5 10600k 119% so this whole discussion covering 3 CPUs and 2 GPUs covers a 6% margin. That's ridiculous and Im starting to see why the AMD platform is so popular. Hell when you see Superman building a Ryzen based system you have to wonder why when money clearly isn't a question.

regarding load times I'm really not that bothered, I don't play competitively and if I'm the last guy to load onto the map that's tough for everyone else, we are all only as fast as the slowest guy in this case. I have a 1TB SSD in my laptop and it causes me a headache trying to decide which games are worthy enough, id rather just install them all. Besides 500GB on the M.2 is going to be more than enough for Windows plus a game or 2 should it become an issue.

I appreciate its my money and my choice but I also appreciate the input from people who know more about this than I do, you can help be spend that money more wisely and that's a win for me!

Don't start thinking you have won me over just yet though, that single thread performance is still an important factor for a few older games ill simply never stop playing! I need to research if the gap between the i5 and 3700x in this area is as this suggests https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I went through exactly what you are going through now seriously contemplating AMD or Intel with the 3700X/B550/X570 which would have been a significant saving but eventually went for the 10700K on the Gigabyte Z490 Ultra, though I already have a RTX 2080 and for gaming which is my primary use case especially gaming at 4K with Automobilsta 2, Assetto Corsa Comp also both in VR with a Rift S (simply stunning!), PUBG etc..The performance is stellar and the 10700K overclocks to 5.1GHz no issues at 1.295v and more than okay on cooling.

Yes Intel 10th Gen costs more than the equivalent Ryzen 3700X or even 3800X but for me personally I had the money wanted no hassle at all in setup and stability and thankfully there is a upgrade path in Rocket Lake S and PCIe Gen 4 and Rocket Lake engineering samples are now hitting 5GHz so that at least bodes well.

Also the 10600K is a mighty gaming CPU and overclocked is near on the 10900K level in gaming.

On the other side Ryzen cannot be overlooked especially when pricing comes into play as the difference could end up with a better GPU which would more than make up for the deficit in FPS in the CPU side...

At the end of the day you cannot really go wrong with either Intel or AMD so go with what you can afford....

If I already had a 2080 id have never even started this post, id have bought a 10700k and put everything else behind me laughing all the way around the nordschleife in VR!! But I have to be sensible and budget my build or I wont stop.. I think 16/1700 is a fair budget for a mid/high end rig...

Upgrade path is something I need to consider too, not with GPU as I think a 2080 super has a lot of life in it. CPU on the other hand, if I'm going to compromise on that now I want the option to upgrade in a years time.

Thankfully I have a 10700K and an RTX 2080 and yes I play Assetto Corsa Comp, Automobilista2, rFactor 2 and blast down the Nordschleif in RF2 all the time in VR...Simply Awesome!!!!

If I already had a 2080 id have never even started this post, id have bought a 10700k and put everything else behind me laughing all the way around the nordschleife in VR!! But I have to be sensible and budget my build or I wont stop.. I think 16/1700 is a fair budget for a mid/high end rig...

Upgrade path is something I need to consider too, not with GPU as I think a 2080 super has a lot of life in it. CPU on the other hand, if I'm going to compromise on that now I want the option to upgrade in a years time.

Also Intel 10th Gen does have an upgrade path with the Z490 motherboard to the new Rocket Lake S CPU's coming out early next year with PCIe Gen 4 so it is not all bad on the Intel side and on the gaming front, they do a stellar job.

Finally it does not really matter whether you go Intel 10th Gen or Ryzen 3700X/3800X as they both will do a great job..