Advice on new build

tez1986

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
Hi there

I am building a new computer and was wondering if these components are all compatible, and would work to their potential.

the parts I will be using are:

Gigabyte Z97P-D3 motherboard
Intel i5 4690 or 4690k processor
G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-14900 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit
Seagate barracuda 1tb hdd
600w EVGA 600B psu
Cooler Master CM Force 500 Black Midi Tower Gaming Case

I have a Radeon 7770 at the min but am getting R9 280X round christmas time.
Any help would be appreciated as I hear a lot of you guys are experts.

thanx

Solution
Everything seems fine for the most part. If you're really debating between those two processors, I'd definitely just go with the overclock version, cause for the price difference, why not. Even if you don't know how or aren't interested in overclocking at the moment, you will eventually.

I'd also consider adding an SSD to the build, either a larger one in place of the HDD or a minor one to just load imperative things onto. 600W should be enough for everything, but I would consider upping it atm if your budget allows, to give you needed headroom. The 280X is an awesome card on today's market, but it'll feel less and less so in the next year or two. Adding an additional 280X/7970/280/7950 in crossfire would be both accessible due to...

sammy sung

Distinguished
Everything seems fine for the most part. If you're really debating between those two processors, I'd definitely just go with the overclock version, cause for the price difference, why not. Even if you don't know how or aren't interested in overclocking at the moment, you will eventually.

I'd also consider adding an SSD to the build, either a larger one in place of the HDD or a minor one to just load imperative things onto. 600W should be enough for everything, but I would consider upping it atm if your budget allows, to give you needed headroom. The 280X is an awesome card on today's market, but it'll feel less and less so in the next year or two. Adding an additional 280X/7970/280/7950 in crossfire would be both accessible due to your wattage headroom and cost effectively due to price drops between now and then.

Also, what heatsink are you using?

Solution

tez1986

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
Cheers sammy. I wil be using the stock heatsync for now but will be upgrading to something like the corsair h80 in the near future. This is just a base to work off as it is my first build for myself.

I think i will go for the overclocking version, I may as well as its only £10 difference. Do you think the stock heatsync wont be sufficient?

sammy sung

Distinguished
If you are only going to use it at stock speeds then yes it is okay. That is what they are designed for. However, if you plan to overclock it, you'll be walking into hot water. You could probably get away with very minimal oc'ing, but it'd be nothing noticeable. I'd wait to do anything special til after you've upgraded.

Once you get your liquid cool heatsink, you're golden