Honorable
Jan 1, 2016
Hi, I want to build new PC.

Ive picked these components:
Ryzen 3600

2x8gb HyperX Predator 16GB DDR4 3200mhz

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK - AMD B450

Corsair RMx Series RM550x (v.2018) - 550W

I will use my old gtx970 now but will upgrade to AMD 5700 (xt?) or maybe 1080ti or similar. Plus I will use my old Samsung SSD, some HDDs, CRDW.. not sure on the case tho! Any advice on ok case?

I need the pc to last many years as all my prev builds have. (I still have fx8300..)

Any advice on the HW? Should I swap something? Is the power supply enough? Im also torn on Ryzen 3700x as that might be more future proof?

But that would require different MoBo and power supply I guess?

Thanks for ideas, advices and opinions!
Im clearly on relatively restricted budget...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
But that would require different MoBo and power supply I guess?
A 3700X would not require a different MB or PSU. However you should remember that mot B450 don't come with compatibility of the 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box, and often need a BIOS update first. You can see that point here in point 2: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

The PSU is perfectly capable and excellent quality too, even of the 5700XT.
The 3700x is only useful if you need future proofing for more cores. Just general gaming, the 3600 should be plenty.

HybOj23

Honorable
Jan 1, 2016
Thanks for fast and informative replies!

My dillema on 3600 vs 3700x comes from the fact the new consoles are supposed to have 8 cores.
So the 6 core might become a issue somewhere down the road (I guess in 2-3 years when games catch up)

Yes, its generally build for gaming, and some slight Unity/Photoshop/Vegas usage.

So, should I get 650w power supply? Something like this? The price difference is not big..
Corsair RMx Series RM650x (v.2018) - 650W

WildCard999

Titan

My dillema on 3600 vs 3700x comes from the fact the new consoles are supposed to have 8 cores.
So the 6 core might become a issue somewhere down the road (I guess in 2-3 years when games catch up)

Yes, its generally build for gaming, and some slight Unity/Photoshop/Vegas usage.

So, should I get 650w power supply? Something like this? The price difference is not big..
It's a hyperthreaded 6 core so I really don't think you need the 8C/16T but if you can fit it into your budget it probably would give you a bit more longevity. And yes I'd get the 650W.

It takes games a long time to develop. The 3600 will meet the minimum specs for every game to be released in at least the next 5 years and probably closer to 10 years. Quad core CPUs have been on the market for more than a decade and games still tend to use only one or two cores.

HybOj23

Honorable
Jan 1, 2016
OK, so to keep the price at reasonable levels for me I will abandon the 3700x idea, so the result is this:

Ryzen 3600

2x8gb HyperX Predator 16GB DDR4 3200mhz CL16

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK - AMD B450

One last worry tho:

B450 - isnt it too old, in a sense, it already needs a bios update for 3rd gen of Ryzen, so it might prohibit the upgrade to the 4th gen laters?

I want to have the upgrade path as open as possible for CPU.

What would be other option in this case pls? Or should I just go with b450?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think it depends on your upgrade habits. If you're someone who is comfortable upgrading the motherboard somewhat regularly, then get an 450 or 470 board and upgrade if and when you need it.

I opted for a 570 under the premise that I want my next rig to last a good few years and I don't know where gen 4 pcie will go, it's not useful for me yet, but I didn't want to upgrade again when it DOES become more relevant.

HybOj23

Honorable
Jan 1, 2016
Thanks again! :)
I will not go with 5xx MoBo for the price reasons now. It costs the same as 3600 CPU almost.
PCIe 4.0 is cool, esp for the storage speeds now, but that difference in my usage will not be worth the price.
And if 2080ti is ok with 3.0 I believe its futureproof enough. My opinion only ofc, I appreciate the feedback!

Last thing

The CASE

I have a cheap Coolermaster and its bad.

I need something with good airflow, I have one SSD and 2 HDDs so nothing fancy here.

Any idea on a brand or a model I should look for?

Thank you guys!!!

WildCard999

Titan
Personally I'd get the 2080S for a high end GPU, can't justify spending $1200+ on a GPU alone with the Ti version although the 2070S is probably the best price to performance GPU out of the Super's.

As for the case it really comes down to personal preference and most case even if they don't come with more then 1-2 fans usually have spots for more to increase air flow throughout the system. That being said I really like this case for the price.

PCPartPicker Part List

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $99.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 11:59 EDT-0400

Another good one is the NZXT H500, I have the White version and really like it however it benefits from adding two 140 or 120mm fans in the front as intake.

PCPartPicker Part List

Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 12:00 EDT-0400

Reactions: PC Tailor

HybOj23

Honorable
Jan 1, 2016
Thanks man!!

Yes, 2080ti is out of my budget totally lol I just used it as a example of pcie4.0 capabilities. 1200USD, not for me :)

My gtx970 somehow still works ok, so I will wait for new gen of cards anyway..

Thanks for ideas on the case, both are really nice. I like the nice airflow and filters on the Fractal, NZXT has nice SSD possitions. I think the Fractal one might be the winner for me.

Thanks a lot.

PS: You spend the most time in this thread with the detailed answers so I will get the award to you. But I really appreciate the input from everybody here. Really really nice approach on this site! All thumbs up for everybody!!