Build Advice Advice on New Gaming PC Build ?

OwiHH

Commendable
Jul 25, 2021
Hey everyone!

I need new Gaming PC and i want you experts build the best i can buy :D
There are a few Ristrictions in what i want or need.

Needs to Be AMD - with a custom Cooler(no liquid)
Needs to be Radeon
Needs a Large Tower that is practical for easy access
Needs seperate SSDs one for the System and one for other Programs

I will replace my current PC - so i need all components
CPU,GPU,Board,RAM,PowerSupplie,Win11
No monitor

Price range not more then 3500€

Since i saw the new AMD comes out i probably wait for that one what you guys think?

Provide links to 1 or more of your probable parts sources.

Do you have even a remote idea of how much storage you need? Quite possibly your system drive doesn't need to be larger than 250 or 500 gb. But what about the other drive?

Is it your intention to put Windows on one drive and installed programs on another? Highly unusual if true.

Cooler height is limited by case width, so you need to pick a case before you pick a cooler.

At that budget, maybe you go for 32 gb RAM and DDR 5.

OwiHH

Commendable
Jul 25, 2021
Provide links to 1 or more of your probable parts sources.

Do you have even a remote idea of how much storage you need? Quite possibly your system drive doesn't need to be larger than 250 or 500 gb. But what about the other drive?

Is it your intention to put Windows on one drive and installed programs on another? Highly unusual if true.

Cooler height is limited by case width, so you need to pick a case before you pick a cooler.

At that budget, maybe you go for 32 gb RAM and DDR 5.
dont know.. amazon?
yes 1 ssd Windows and a few system based programmes - yes 250 or 500gb shouldt be enough
other can be 2TB or more

is will use it mostly over TV for gaming.
I assume 4K then but is it true 120Hz or 60Hz? Either way you will want a top end gpu, however in the next few months we should see top end next generation gpu’s launch but we don’t know what pricing and availability will be like. You are going to want as much gpu power as possible, which very likely would mean waiting for next generation.

OwiHH

Commendable
Jul 25, 2021
I assume 4K then but is it true 120Hz or 60Hz? Either way you will want a top end gpu, however in the next few months we should see top end next generation gpu’s launch but we don’t know what pricing and availability will be like. You are going to want as much gpu power as possible, which very likely would mean waiting for next generation.
yes 60hz - thanks i probably wait after xmas or shortly befor to buy it anyway.

You are wise to think of waiting for the new processors to launch.
In general, a new generation brings about a 15% boost in price/performance.

This also gives you time to more carefully consider your options.

Some questions:

Are you an amd stockholder?
Or.. why the insistence on amd?
Today, Intel current gen has the edge in gaming, not that the difference is big.
No telling if the new announcements will change that.

Why RADEON which I take to mean a AMD graphics card.
New cards will be launched soonfrom AMD and Nvidia and nobody knows what they will bring.

Opinions differ on having separate devices for windows and all else.
There is no performance difference and consolidating all on a single device may be cheaper.
It is certainly easier to maintain a single C drive.

You say no monitor.
Do you already have one, or what are you planning on buying?

Do your research now, but plan on buying it all at about the same time.
There are several dangers in buying piecemeal:

a) New product announcements may change your mind.

b) You may, at assembly time find a part to be defective, but
the return window has expired.

c) Prices tend to go down, not up.

Consider the types of games you will play.
Multiplayer will want a cpu with many threads.
Fast action games will want a strong graphics card.
CPU centric games will want strong single thread performance.
If you have a pc ow, run the cpu-z bench and look at the single thread performance rating.
Here is a listing of such ratings including the currently strongest R9-5950X:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/gskata

Cases are a personal thing.
A large case will be able to accommodate good front air intake which is essential to good cpu cooling.
Three 120mm fans, two 140mm, or one 200mm is what I would look for.
A washable front air filter will keep your parts clean.
Will you need a DVD drive?
Fewer cases of today will include such a provision.
Do you want RGB "bling"? Not for me but tastes vary.
Bust your budget if you need to for a case you really love.

Are you an overclocker?
If you are seeking to overclock a high powered processor, start thinking about how to accommodate a large 360 size liquid cooler.
OTOH, gamers of today rely on the normal turbo mechanism to boost a few cores past what an OC will do.
Overclocking is good if you have an app that can keep all available threads fully occupied.

Reactions: OwiHH

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
You can get the top gaming chip right now from AMD (the 5900 with 3d v-cache) or wait to see which chip wins the fight between Zen 4 and Raptor Lake.

However based upon your display being UHD and 60hz I see no reason to require a top chip. Fast CPUs matter when gaming at 240hz on lower resolution monitors. Almost any Zen 3 or 12th gen chip can handle 60fps. Just grab a 5800x, 32GB of 3200 DDR4 with low latency, and the fastest GPU you can find. GPUs will only be dropping in price per performance as the new generation arrives and miners liquidate serious hardware.

OwiHH

Commendable
Jul 25, 2021
Thx for reply guys.

Im 43 and i buy AMD Products since 20 years. Never run into problems and never changed.
Reason why i buy Radeaon and AMD together is because i allways did. I run into prblems with nvidea cards on AMD board. Also i dont like colors from NVidea. Radeaons are mostly not so colorful and a bit less neon - more dry. Its knowledge i have with AMD and Radeaon so i dont want to mess my old mind with new stuff. I never bought intel because AMD was allways cheaper but gave me the performance i needed.

Its sound oldscool but its what i did the last 20 years..
Mainsystem with Systembased Programs on a single Storage, Games and personal stuff on the other.
Reason of that is - if i have to reinstall a new clean Windows i dont have to mess around with the Gaming storage.
Steam provides support to reinstall from old partitions. So if i format my C: i just drop Windows on it and dont have to reinstall or download TerraByte of gamesdata or backup personal stuff - i just Fullformat C: and thats it. Easy and Fast.
I dont want to mess up my Systemdrive with partitions.

I dont use monitors much and run my PC over a TV.
I will buy a new Gaming PC from Scratch since my old on is hybrid and even mechanic HDDs (AMD FX8350 8 core with a Radeaon R9 390). Still runs fine - i can play NBA 2k23 or WOT with high Graphics but its time to drop it because next year its time to buy a new on for the next 10 years =)

I allways bought all Pieces on my own and build it from scratch. I dont buy readymade PC i dont know what is init.
I think i have enough knowledge in over 20years Personal Computers and gaming.

Will post a setup later this year and see what you guys think about it.

Thx for reply guys.

Im 43 and i buy AMD Products since 20 years. Never run into problems and never changed.
Reason why i buy Radeaon and AMD together is because i allways did. I run into prblems with nvidea cards on AMD board. Also i dont like colors from NVidea. Radeaons are mostly not so colorful and a bit less neon - more dry. Its knowledge i have with AMD and Radeaon so i dont want to mess my old mind with new stuff. I never bought intel because AMD was allways cheaper but gave me the performance i needed.

Its sound oldscool but its what i did the last 20 years..
Mainsystem with Systembased Programs on a single Storage, Games and personal stuff on the other.
Reason of that is - if i have to reinstall a new clean Windows i dont have to mess around with the Gaming storage.
Steam provides support to reinstall from old partitions. So if i format my C: i just drop Windows on it and dont have to reinstall or download TerraByte of gamesdata or backup personal stuff - i just Fullformat C: and thats it. Easy and Fast.
I dont want to mess up my Systemdrive with partitions.

I dont use monitors much and run my PC over a TV.
I will buy a new Gaming PC from Scratch since my old on is hybrid and even mechanic HDDs (AMD FX8350 8 core with a Radeaon R9 390). Still runs fine - i can play NBA 2k23 or WOT with high Graphics but its time to drop it because next year its time to buy a new on for the next 10 years =)

I allways bought all Pieces on my own and build it from scratch. I dont buy readymade PC i dont know what is init.
I think i have enough knowledge in over 20years Personal Computers and gaming.

Will post a setup later this year and see what you guys think about it.
What country are you located and no, Europe is not a country.

Germany and yes, Hamburg is a State!
I'd wait for the reviews of Zen 4 vs Raptor Lake along with the new series of graphics cards so you know what cpu cooling and power supply wattage to look at.

https://geizhals.de/lian-li-lancool-iii-v106825.html
Lian Li LANCOOL III

https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-iii/

O/S SSD.

https://geizhals.de/samsung-ssd-970-evo-plus-500gb-mz-v7s500bw-a1972733.html
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 SSD

Storage SSD.

https://geizhals.de/samsung-ssd-970-evo-plus-2tb-mz-v7s2t0bw-a1972736.html
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 SSD

Reactions: OwiHH
Last edited: