Advice on new laptop for Mum. 4GB vs 8GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORION85

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
Dear Mums laptop needs replacing, she is looking to drop from 400-600 uk pounds on one but wants to ideally spend the lowest amount.

I have a few in the list for her but when it comes to 4GB ram to 8GB laptops obviously there's a big difference in price. She only uses the laptop for the internet, streaming movies and shows and some skype, no gaming.

looking at an i3 to i5 with 1TB hard drive running windows 10.

We want this one to last her for a good few years so I was thinking 8GB would last her longer but I do not know what the standard on modern laptops is these days.

Any advice and opinions appreciated

Orion

Solution

Take a look a this £500 HP from John Lewis...

drbones8472

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Just pick the color she likes, if you can get an i5 for the budget go with that, and try to get 8GB of ram. HDD size isn't really that important if the main thing is just Streaming stuff and Skype. But again main things should 8GM of RAM, the Color she likes, and the biggest Screen size she is ok with. Everything else should be fine for just surfing the internet and things.

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I would avoid getting a laptop with 8GB. As you said, there is a premium on it and usually it's cheaper to install your own RAM later on (if she needs it, but probably not). I would try to get an i5 since it'll have the biggest effect on day-to-day usability but I'm sure a newish i3 would be fine.

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Take a look a this £500 HP from John Lewis:
https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-14-al106na-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-14-natural-silver/p3136749

Highlights include a dual-core Kaby Lake i5 (with Intel HD 620), 8 GBs of RAM and a 2K IPS panel. HP claim 10 hours of battery life, and even if this may be somewhat optimistic, it should last your mum through most of a working day. Weight is about 1.5 kg. Storage is less impressive, but it is a very fast SSD. 128 GBs will fill up quickly, but if your mum is comfortable with cloud storage, or can live with an external HDD, I'd say this laptop will meet all your listed requirements.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.