VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Hi. This is related to this thread I made a little while ago. I've tried asking on Reddit but haven't had much input off anyone, so I thought I'd try my luck here. Essentially, I've been seeing a number of tempting Black Friday deals on gaming laptops and I need to make a decision before the deals end.

I've seen these ones, specifically:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09TRQPK8H/?tag=jd-bf-21

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/a...intel-core-i9-rtx-3060-1-tb-ssd-10237643.html

https://www.box.co.uk/FA507RM-HQ019W-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-A15-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM_4103757.html

What are people's opinions of these? I've never had an Acer or ASUS laptop before, but are they good? Do they make good gaming laptops? I currently have an MSI, and I don't particularly want another one due to how hot they get and how fast the batteries drain. :-\ I'm open to opinions/suggestions on different makes as well. £1000 is probably the most I'd be willing to spend, which is how much the machines I've linked are and I think how much my MSI one was.

What's tempting about these are their specs - RTX 360s, i7s/i9s, 16GB RAM, 144Hz displays etc. I don't tend to do much gaming on a laptop, but I would like one that can carry itself no problem with some of the latest titles. My main focus though, is for work. And when I say work, I mean game art. I do a lot of 3D modelling/sculpting, texturing, and rendering. Even my current laptop can sometimes struggle with ZBrush or scenes in 3ds Max/Maya and can get pretty hot.

Thoughts?

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Hey there,

Out of those, I'd prob go with the ASUS TUF. It has new gen Ryzen CPU, which run cooler than Intel. The laptop also has a better screen of 1440p than the FULL HD of the other two.

For your work, and a bit of gaming, I'd go with the TUF.
Thank you so much for responding. And for your suggestion. :) It's looking like the model I linked to is (or are) running out of stock. Or has gone back up in price now that Black Friday is over. :-\ I've never had a Ryzen before - I've always been an Intel user - but if it's true they run cooler, then that's certainly good to know.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
No probs, you're welcome :)

Yes, the Intels are no slouch either but are 2 gen old. They do run hot, but most laptops do. Ryzen models, often less so.

The TUF is worth taking a look at. Also the 'TUF' in the names stands for a laptop that can take small falls, and work at higher temps. Very rugged. But designed that way. They are built to this spec
MIL-STD-810 H Environmental Engineering Test Lab (keystonecompliance.com)

Means strong, and durable! :)

Reactions: VermilionNeko

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
No probs, you're welcome :)

Yes, the Intels are no slouch either but are 2 gen old. They do run hot, but most laptops do. Ryzen models, often less so.

The TUF is worth taking a look at. Also the 'TUF' in the names stands for a laptop that can take small falls, and work at higher temps. Very rugged. But designed that way. They are built to this spec
MIL-STD-810 H Environmental Engineering Test Lab (keystonecompliance.com)

Means strong, and durable! :)
Ahh. Interesting. Didn't know that. My current laptop has taken a bit of a beating, despite not being dropped (at least, not to my knowledge), though the back panel has become cracked badly and may completely fall apart soon, revealing the interior components. I'll have to try and track that model down somewhere for around a grand, which is what I saw it for.

Would you say ASUS gaming laptops are better than MSI? Don't fancy getting another MSI laptop again, to be honest.

Ahh. Interesting. Didn't know that. My current laptop has taken a bit of a beating, despite not being dropped (at least, not to my knowledge), though the back panel has become cracked badly and may completely fall apart soon, revealing the interior components. I'll have to try and track that model down somewhere for around a grand, which is what I saw it for.

Would you say ASUS gaming laptops are better than MSI? Don't fancy getting another MSI laptop again, to be honest.
I guess, that's really down to one's experience which each manufacturer. I'm a bit of an ASUS fan. Motherboards, GPU's etc.

I rate ASUS very highly, but then you'll find that others swear by MSI or somebody else. In this case, you're getting a quality machine, from a known brand, with excellent customer service and returns policy (as far as my own experience goes). I've always liked MSI stuff TBH. Often thought about getting one (PC, Laptop), but just never did. That's not to say they aren't equally as good as ASUS or otherwise.

If you have had a bad experience with MSI, defo try something else. No point making a decision that you don't really want to.

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I guess, that's really down to one's experience which each manufacturer. I'm a bit of an ASUS fan. Motherboards, GPU's etc.

I rate ASUS very highly, but then you'll find that others swear by MSI or somebody else. In this case, you're getting a quality machine, from a known brand, with excellent customer service and returns policy (as far as my own experience goes). I've always liked MSI stuff TBH. Often thought about getting one (PC, Laptop), but just never did. That's not to say they aren't equally as good as ASUS or otherwise.

If you have had a bad experience with MSI, defo try something else. No point making a decision that you don't really want to.
Okay. It might be just the particular model I bought. But the battery life on mine isn't that great, not when gaming or doing regular tasks. I was under the impression that was a common issue with MSI laptops though. However, I have an MSI GPU in my PC and I've had no issues.

I've also checked out these videos for that ASUS model and the best gaming laptops this year:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_cVGb0e2Es&ab_channel=Jarrod%27sTech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZfb9zVQ34&ab_channel=Jarrod%27sTech

One thing that's been brought to my attention would be the monitor size. I think a 16:10 screen might be more beneficial when using software, such as ZBrush, which has tonnes of icons. Also, despite the Ryzen CPUs being quieter, the Intel ones being faster when plugged in, does appeal.

LOL, this is a common theme with ALL gaming laptops.

I've an Omen 15, (I7 9750H +GTX1660ti) still decent enough for 60fps 1080p for most games). The battery life has/is and always will be pants! :)

It's the same for all other 'true' gamer laptops. They eat battery juice in 1-2 hours max. Anything beyond that is a bonus. It's just the hardware involved, and the battery type used. Manufacturers figure you will be playing plugged in for max performance, so hedge on that.

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
LOL, this is a common theme with ALL gaming laptops.

I've an Omen 15, (I7 9750H +GTX1660ti) still decent enough for 60fps 1080p for most games). The battery life has/is and always will be pants! :)

It's the same for all other 'true' gamer laptops. They eat battery juice in 1-2 hours max. Anything beyond that is a bonus. It's just the hardware involved, and the battery type used. Manufacturers figure you will be playing plugged in for max performance, so hedge on that.
Yeah, I guess so. Kinda in two minds. I hear the Ryzen chips perform cooler, but I've always used Intel and I know those chips become faster when running games, but perform hotter. I can't seem to find any of those ASUS TUF A15's anywhere with an i7, sadly. The ones that do have Intel chips are cheaper and are only i5s.