Advice On New Machine

I'm going to be putting together a new machine to replace my AMD Slot A
1000mhz. I want to keep my hard drives and case/power supply (450w).
What is the best and fastest motherboard and CPU combo that will still be
upgradable with a faster CPU in the near future?
TIA
Andy

Sgt Andrew wrote:
> I'm going to be putting together a new machine to replace my AMD Slot A
> 1000mhz. I want to keep my hard drives and case/power supply (450w).
> What is the best and fastest motherboard and CPU combo that will still be
> upgradable with a faster CPU in the near future?
> TIA
> Andy

Look for a socket 939 combo!

Roy

--
This posting is provided "As Is"
with no warranties

"Sgt Andrew" <sgtandrew@aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to be putting together a new machine to replace my AMD Slot A
> 1000mhz. I want to keep my hard drives and case/power supply (450w).
> What is the best and fastest motherboard and CPU combo that will still be
> upgradable with a faster CPU in the near future?
> TIA
> Andy

Gee, you've opened a can of worms here. Many questions remain. When you say
"best and fastest" and "upgradeable" does mean unlimited budget?

The problem here is we are on the verge of going to PCI Express and DDR2
based mainboards and the current crop of boards will be "obsolete" when that
happens. The current sweet spot in terms of performance and price would be a
AMD64 3400 in a socket 754. One of the best performers is still a FX53 in
socket 940 but AMD is not promising robust support for that platform. The
platform of the future for AMD is going to be socket 939. That said, Athlon
FX53 in socket 939 would be the best performer with upgradeability but that
CPU runs over 800.00 An AMD 64 3500 in socket 939 is around 350, it's a
great performing CPU and also upgradeable. Just stay away from socket 940.