[SOLVED] advice on new modem/router needed

Jan 8, 2019
I have xfinity 150mbps. I want to get rid of rented gateway, 13 bucks a month, its a 24x8 modem with a less than 1200 ac router. Works excellent wired not so great wireless (50mbps phones and some dead spots)

However, not a big deal because my tv streaming and pc are both hardwired. I have 4 other devices accessing internet just for basic stuff.

After a year on this plan (which is plenty fast) i may have to upgrade to take advantage of a deal.

Anyway, with the next year or two in mind should i pony up for a 24 or 32 modem and ac1900 router or would i be better off saving a few bucks, spending less than the yearly rental, and go with 16 modem and ac1200?

Solution
Whatever you decide to do, and buying is almost always a better choice...
wifi is by far the most complicated and piece that may get replaced. I feel it's best to go with access points. unifi AP lite is $80 (requires a PC for config). You want the router to be 1Gbs and the modem to be sized for your service. No reason to get more or less.

RealBeast

Titan
Whatever you decide to do, and buying is almost always a better choice (unless you plan to move within a year to a place that does not have Xfinity service for example), be sure that what you buy is compatible.

You can go HERE and enter your zip code and plan level to find compatible devices. You can then search for them at a local store or a discount online spot like Newegg or Amazon.

It is personal preference, but I like to use a separate modem and router (AC1900 Netgear Nighthawk for example) rather than a combo unit.

Solution

Xfinity wants you run an approved modem on their list. If u don't do that, something goes wrong, and call them for tech support, they may refuse u.

I too prefer separate boxes. (1)Rental boxes oftentimes are locked, u don't have full access to it, features may not be available to you. Your own box, do as u please. (2)Separate WIFI opens the liberty to move this box to a more central located spot in the house for better coverage. (3)Easier to troubleshoot and upgrade. You know you should ALWAYS get full bandwidth by the modem and if not, ISP fault. One box, one often ask, ISP fault or my fault? When the next WIFI standard comes along, can just update that, leaving modem alone, make your decision solely on WIFI performance. WIFI is WIFI, if ur happy with your WIFI, it doesn't matter who ISP you signup with, keep using your favorite WIFI box.

TRENDING THREADS