Advice on new network setup needed

trevclem

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Hello! I'm having some issues with our router, and I think it's time to upgrade. I could use some advice on which direction to go for setup.

Current setup:
ASUS RT-AC66W
Netgear N300 WiFi Range Extender
House:
Main floor is concrete with metal I-beams, which cuts our wifi signal down to near zero on the outer edges of the house (bedrooms). There are 1300 Sq Ft on each floor.
Router is currently centrally located in the basement, where the modem is. Netgear Range Extender is directly above the router on the main floor.
We use both the basement and the main floor equally for internet. Most of our HD streaming is on the basement TV, so this is hardwired to the router.
Several wifi devices roam the house (laptop, kindles, iPhones)

Current problems:
Dead/weak signal in some areas of the main floor without Extender.
Extender offers slower speeds (20-30MB vs 50MB)
Three network IDs. This is a major inconvenience, especially for guests and my young children who can't switch networks on their own if they move from one floor to the other. The three networks are: separate 2.4 and 5GHz from the router and a third 2.4 GHz network ID from the extender.

Requirements for new setup:
Band Steering so I don't have to select 2.4 vs 5GHz
Single SSID throughout home
Obviously, complete coverage throughout the home.

Can this be done simply with a new router? Or should I be looking at a Mesh network? Any better solutions?
I really appreciate your advice and discussion!

Solution
I'd recommend paying to get ethernet for POE access points. wireless repeaters take what they get and dish it back out. so if it receives a weak signal it broadcasts a weak one. It's also using wireless channels to repeat. mimo allows devices to utilize more channels.

unifi AP have settings that measure signal strength and drop the client once it's X weak enough.
The client will then select the strongest. It won't work well if you can't get X signal at all the places you need.
You can tweak signal power to get more APs and have little congestion.

unifi ap lites are $80 for AC 2x2mimo
unifi hdnano $170 ac wave 2, 4x4 mu mimo
most clients won't be able to utilize the upgrade.

kanewolf

Titan
2.4 vs 5Ghz isn't a big deal if you have good coverage. 50Mbit isn't a big stretch for consumer hardware.

Can you get ethernet cables run to the first floor? A mesh WIFI system with a wired connection back to the main router is the best implementation but it does require ethernet cabling for the satellites.

trevclem

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

I shouldn't have any problems running ethernet between the floors. Fortunately, the utility room in the basement is right above closets and an HVAC stack.

Would something like the TP-Link Deco units be what you're suggesting? I think two units (one on each floor) would provide enough coverage. If so, are there any benefits that the M9 has over the M5, other than Zigbee protocol?

I'd recommend paying to get ethernet for POE access points. wireless repeaters take what they get and dish it back out. so if it receives a weak signal it broadcasts a weak one. It's also using wireless channels to repeat. mimo allows devices to utilize more channels.

unifi AP have settings that measure signal strength and drop the client once it's X weak enough.
The client will then select the strongest. It won't work well if you can't get X signal at all the places you need.
You can tweak signal power to get more APs and have little congestion.

unifi ap lites are $80 for AC 2x2mimo
unifi hdnano $170 ac wave 2, 4x4 mu mimo
most clients won't be able to utilize the upgrade.

Solution