Question Advice on new quiet/silent PC - budget around £2,500

guest7789

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I've posted in the display forum regarding what resolution I should run a new PC at and they kindly (and overwhelmingly!) said 1440p, so that will be what I'll be going for (unless there's a reason not to). I'm UK based and would prefer to order from amazon or currys to get VAT invoices.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as parts are in stock

Budget Range: £2,000-£2,500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Work (mainly could have 100+ tabs open on firefox where quite a few could be playing Twitch/YouTube streams at once), Gaming (older games as well as newer ones like cyberpunk etc)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes but that would be a separate budget

Parts to Upgrade: All, but do not need mouse, keyboard, headset

Do you need to buy OS: No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
business.amazon.co.uk and business.currys.co.uk

Parts Preferences:
CPU - AMD currently considering 5800x, open to suggestions
CPU cooler - Unsure, but looking at Noctua NH14s and BeQuiet Dark Rock 4. Open to suggestions
Thermal Paste - I think I used Arctic Silver or Thermal Grizzly before. Are they still good or is there something better?
RAM - 32GB 3600MHz. Unsure of which brand or configuration to go for
Mobo - No idea, maybe x570? concerned about the fan and coil whine
GPU - Currently considering 3080, open to suggestions
PSU - No idea, my current PC has an EVGA as that was supposed to be one of the best at the time (8 years ago). Not sure what is good bang for buck these days
Case - No idea. Current case looks like a Fractal Design R5. I need at least 4 front USB ports on top of the case.
SSD - Currently considering 2tb Samsung 970 evo plus. Open to suggestions
Might need an internal DVD drive.

Overclocking: Maybe light overclocking in the future

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Looking to get 1440p monitors

Additional Comments: I would really like a silent or very quiet PC that will have good thermals. I play a lot of different kinds of games, from online fps, strategy games etc. I'm looking for good value for money but also some future proofing.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I've had my current PC for about 8-9 years and only upgraded graphics card and hard drive in that time. Current specs are 3570k, gtx 970 and samsung sata ssd. It's really showing it's age as some tasks like having many tabs open can really lag the PC and I get lag in quite a few games (including path of exile, world war Z that I've played recently).

Please let me know of your suggestions and amendments that would best fit the requirements. Thanks in advance!

5800X should be more than enough for 5+ years.
Both coolers are great honestly,choose what you like more.You should also consider nhd15,that thing is a monster.
For mobo i would choose gigabyte's x570 aorus lineup,since it has q flash plus and you are going to need a bios update for 5800X to work.
Ram,i would go for either gskill ripjaws 2x16gb 3600mhz cl16,or the trident z neo if you want rgb.
2tb 970 should be more than enough.
You can polrobably get away with a 3060ti,but if you want the ultimate 1440p ultra settings rtx on experience,go for the 3080.
For the psu i would go for something from seasonic,or corsair.Something like a RMX 850 should do the job.
For case there are a lot of options.There is Lian Li Lancool mesh II which is considered to be one of the best airflow performers.My personally favourite case is the 4000D airflow,it has good airflow and looks sick.

guest7789

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Thanks for the reply! I have a few questions:
Do you know if they fixed the heat issue with the 5800x?
Any thoughts on thermal compound to use?
I'll take a look at those Gigabyte ones. Do any other manufacturers have the usb flash feature or just gigabyte?
For the ram is it better to have 2x16 or 4x8?
For the graphics card does the choice of AIB make much of a difference these days or should I just go with whatever stock becomes available?
Regarding PSU are there any models I should avoid from Seasonic and Corsair or is all their stuff good quality?
I'll check out those cases!

Thanks for the reply! I have a few questions:
Do you know if they fixed the heat issue with the 5800x?
Any thoughts on thermal compound to use?
I'll take a look at those Gigabyte ones. Do any other manufacturers have the usb flash feature or just gigabyte?
For the ram is it better to have 2x16 or 4x8?
For the graphics card does the choice of AIB make much of a difference these days or should I just go with whatever stock becomes available?
Regarding PSU are there any models I should avoid from Seasonic and Corsair or is all their stuff good quality?
I'll check out those cases!
They will never fix that issue,5000 series is made to run hotter than previous gen,they are very unlikely to change the whole generation,just for their cpus to underperform.Since ussually less heat means less performance.
To be honest with you,i only know gigabyte has those features.
Thermal grizzly is still good.
2 sticks is better than four, advertised speeds are easier to achieve and ussually you have 2 free slots to upgrade.Also there isnt a big difference in gaming.
Ussually just see what you have in stock,chasing a card is hard there days.
For seasonic idk exactly but probably some lower end psu's from 15 years ago,and for corsair their VS orange series is terrible.

guest7789

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Thanks I'll look into those aspects although I want to stick with AMD rather than Intel for this. Is the Crucial RAM faster than the gskill one mentioned above? Also which crucial ram is good or are they all pretty much the same performance?

If you are talking about overclocking then i would suggest you to go with Intel 9th gen processors as they have great cooling system
use crucial Ram's as they are faster than any other brands
instead of SSD go with M.2 , their prices are mostly similar but huge difference in performance.
They do have the fastest ram (5100mhz i believe),but its really hard to achieve that speed,not to mention the price you are paying for both the ram and the motherboard to support all of it.
The prices are similar but there isnt a huge difference in performance,infact there is so little difference than a fast SATA SSD like Samsung 860 EVO can perform similarly to a 150$ m.2,in basic tasks of course.
If you are extracting a ton of storage (1tb or more) then you will see a big difference between a SATA ssd and a m.2 SSD,but in booting,gaming,and just basic operating on your system,there is little to no difference.

Thanks I'll look into those aspects although I want to stick with AMD rather than Intel for this. Is the Crucial RAM faster than the gskill one mentioned above? Also which crucial ram is good or are they all pretty much the same performance?
If you compare 2 kits of lets say corsair vengeance 2x8gb 3200mhz cl16 ram,they will perform identically to any other ram,with those exact specifications.
So there is no brand that is better than other if the specs are the same.

I wana point out that if you really need a DVD drive (optical drive of any sort) you have to be 100% sure. Not many modern cases come with an external 5.25 drive bay.

The idea behind the 2 drivers is to use one as the boot + OS + apps, and the other one (the big one) for games, documents, media, etc.

64GB of RAM to have a good amount when opening those 100+ firefox tabs.

The mobo have bios flash back function.

Heres just an idea, things can be changed depending on whats available on Amazon or Currys:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (£399.99 @ Currys PC World Business)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (£110.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (£239.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£288.73 @ Newegg UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£52.40 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£298.08 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card (£843.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case (£112.76 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£133.56 @ CCL Computers)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD/CD Writer (£14.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £2494.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-02 21:26 GMT+0000

https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/ASUS-ROG-Strix X570-F Gaming-4187 <- Compatibility check OK, according to Noctua.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Dj0gany
More power/performance/longevity...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor | £611.51 @ Overclockers.co.uk
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler | £110.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Motherboard | MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard | £199.97 @ Scan.co.uk
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | £357.37 @ Newegg UK
Storage | Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £59.86 @ Amazon UK
Storage | Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £187.37 @ CCL Computers
Video Card | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB EAGLE OC Video Card | £843.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case | be quiet! Pure Base 600 ATX Mid Tower Case | £85.52 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | £99.98 @ Scan.co.uk
Optical Drive | Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer | £15.99 @ AWD-IT
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £2571.63
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-02 23:06 GMT+0000 |

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-601-atx-midi-tower-pc-case-10188678-pdt.html
BE QUIET Silent Base 601 ATX Midi-Tower PC Case £109.00

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...us-gx-750-modular-psu-750-w-10205856-pdt.html
SEASONIC Focus GX-750 Modular PSU - 750w £114.95

ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus ATX Motherboard £194.21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-5800X-Processor-Cache/dp/B0815XFSGK
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Processor £423.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BYP9S95
be quiet! Dark Rock 4, BK021, 200W TDP, CPU Cooler $74.90

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-MX-4-2019-Performance-Durability/dp/B07L9BDY3T/
ARCTIC MX-4 (4 Grams) - Thermal Compound Paste £6.37

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083TRXZ98
Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory £189.46

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-2TB/dp/B07MTQTNVR/
Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD £229.99

glotrends Aluminum Heatsinks Cooling Fin for M.2 2280 SSD £6.99

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-ventus-2x-oc-graphics-card-10217083-pdt.html
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 2X OC Graphics Card £530.00

Total: £1,880

The RTX 3080 is more of a 4K card but its worth checking out the reviews / benchmarks. Such as the RTX 3070 it requires a 750w power supply.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...gb-tuf-gaming-graphics-card-10214421-pdt.html
ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Graphics Card £720.00

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...0-gb-eagle-oc-graphics-card-10214430-pdt.html
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB EAGLE OC Graphics Card £720.00

SILENT BASE 601 Black

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/27/21534142/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-review
NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 REVIEW: THE 1440P SWEET SPOT

Last edited:
My advice is to be patient and consider your objectives.
Now is not a great time to be buying a processor or graphics card.
The good ones are in short supply and the prices have been inflated.
I would wait a bit to see what rocket lake brings and also wait for 3000 series graphics cards to become available reasonably. 3080 looks to be very good if you can find one. 3070 might be ok too.

You started on a display forum, and that is a very good idea.
For work, I suggest looking at a wide screen display.
Something in the 32-35" is reasonably priced. LG is good.
You could even go to 49" if you have the desktop room.
They will be in differing but appropriate resolutions.
It is really best to see candidates in person if you can.

On processors, buy current gen. That means ryzen 5000 series or intel rocket lake which will launch soon. Both have impressive improvements in IPC.

On ram, with many open tabs, look at a 2 x 16gb kit. You might even consider 64gb.
since both intel and ryzen are dual channel, buy a 2 stick kit.
Ryzen performance is closely tied to ram speed. think 3600 speed or better.
Intel ram controllers anticipate ram needs better and will work just fine on lower speeds like 3200.

Love the idea of a new case, bust your budget if you need to for one you love.
No pc that has any fans at all will ever be silent.
But, fans can be quiet if they do not need to run at high rpm for good cooling.
Look for a case with two 140 front intakes which can be reasonably quiet yet provide suffinient cooling air.
I know of no case offhand, with 4 front usb ports on top of the case.
You can buy 5.25 bay mounted ports with usp ports.
Or, you can buy a usb hub which might be even more convenient sitting on the desktop.
I bought the 4 port version of this wavlink hub:

Go to newegg and filter on cases with one or two front 5.25" bays.
That will eliminate a large number of cases.

I recently bought a coolermaster HAF XB case which is a joy to work with, but I would not consider it to be a quiet case. The non vented top version might be.
https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-haf-series-atx-desktop/p/N82E16811119265

On the ssd, look at the samsung 980 PRO.
Anandtech had a recent article on how they test ssd devices.
In it, the 980 pro shows well, a cut above most others.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16458/2021-ssd-benchmark-suite

Do not worry about thermal paste. What comes with any cooler is fine. The noctua paste is good
I strongly support the use of air coolers like the noctua NH-D15s. Only if you are overclocking and need a 360 aio would that be appropriate.
That particular air cooler is quiet out of the box, and can be effective running even quieter than stock.

On the psu, it is probably right to replace an 8 year old unit.
Look for a quality unit in the 850w range with a 10 year warranty.

Reactions: RodroX
My advice is to be patient and consider your objectives.
Now is not a great time to be buying a processor or graphics card.
The good ones are in short supply and the prices have been inflated.
I would wait a bit to see what rocket lake brings and also wait for 3000 series graphics cards to become available reasonably. 3080 looks to be very good if you can find one. 3070 might be ok too.

You started on a display forum, and that is a very good idea.
For work, I suggest looking at a wide screen display.
Something in the 32-35" is reasonably priced. LG is good.
You could even go to 49" if you have the desktop room.
They will be in differing but appropriate resolutions.
It is really best to see candidates in person if you can.

On processors, buy current gen. That means ryzen 5000 series or intel rocket lake which will launch soon. Both have impressive improvements in IPC.

On ram, with many open tabs, look at a 2 x 16gb kit. You might even consider 64gb.
since both intel and ryzen are dual channel, buy a 2 stick kit.
Ryzen performance is closely tied to ram speed. think 3600 speed or better.
Intel ram controllers anticipate ram needs better and will work just fine on lower speeds like 3200.

Love the idea of a new case, bust your budget if you need to for one you love.
No pc that has any fans at all will ever be silent.
But, fans can be quiet if they do not need to run at high rpm for good cooling.
Look for a case with two 140 front intakes which can be reasonably quiet yet provide suffinient cooling air.
I know of no case offhand, with 4 front usb ports on top of the case.
You can buy 5.25 bay mounted ports with usp ports.
Or, you can buy a usb hub which might be even more convenient sitting on the desktop.
I bought the 4 port version of this wavlink hub:

Go to newegg and filter on cases with one or two front 5.25" bays.
That will eliminate a large number of cases.

I recently bought a coolermaster HAF XB case which is a joy to work with, but I would not consider it to be a quiet case. The non vented top version might be.
https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-haf-series-atx-desktop/p/N82E16811119265

On the ssd, look at the samsung 980 PRO.
Anandtech had a recent article on how they test ssd devices.
In it, the 980 pro shows well, a cut above most others.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16458/2021-ssd-benchmark-suite

Do not worry about thermal paste. What comes with any cooler is fine. The noctua paste is good
I strongly support the use of air coolers like the noctua NH-D15s. Only if you are overclocking and need a 360 aio would that be appropriate.
That particular air cooler is quiet out of the box, and can be effective running even quieter than stock.

On the psu, it is probably right to replace an 8 year old unit.
Look for a quality unit in the 850w range with a 10 year warranty.
About thermal paste and those Dark Rock cpu coolers .. they don't give you nearly enough hence the reason I linked the MX-4.

guest7789

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
That's exactly how I'm feeling about graphics cards right now, no stock and when something does become available for a second, it's vastly inflated in price. I'm thinking more and more that the wait and see approach would be best for now until supplies become a bit more normalised.

Regarding displays, I'll be buying 3 of them, so going for a 32-35 inch would probably be too big for more desk.

My current case has 4 front mounted USB posts, have they started removing them in the last few years?

For the cpu cooler, I'm slightly concerned about a couple of things on the larger ones like the d15s, first is bowing on the motherboard and secondly clearance for both parts on the motherboard and also the case. Would the u14s suffice?

That's exactly how I'm feeling about graphics cards right now, no stock and when something does become available for a second, it's vastly inflated in price. I'm thinking more and more that the wait and see approach would be best for now until supplies become a bit more normalised.

Regarding displays, I'll be buying 3 of them, so going for a 32-35 inch would probably be too big for more desk.

My current case has 4 front mounted USB posts, have they started removing them in the last few years?

For the cpu cooler, I'm slightly concerned about a couple of things on the larger ones like the d15s, first is bowing on the motherboard and secondly clearance for both parts on the motherboard and also the case. Would the u14s suffice?
Three USB ports on the front of these newer cases seems to be the norm these days. That case I posted has two USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 up front along with a fan controller.

If you buy three 24" monitors, you will have a spread of 66" with bevels in between.
Look at a single 49" monitor instead.
Here is an example:
https://www.newegg.com/p/0JC-004Y-000B6?&quicklink=true

You are more likely to incur bending with one of the new graphics cards which are heavy.
Some motherboards offer supports for them.
On an air cooler, weight with the NH-D15 is really not an issue.
Perhaps if you are bouncing the case around with some regularity.

The noctua web site will have compatibility charts for many motherboards.
Of perhaps some concern is the height.
NH-D14s, and nh-d15 for example is 165mm tall while the nh-d15s is 160mm.
Some motherboard have pcie slots placed close to the cpu so some wide coolers will impact the backplates on some graphics cards.

Reactions: RodroX

guest7789

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Here is a quick update on my journet to get a new PC. After my failure at trying to get a 3080 at a non scalped price I'm looking at getting a pre-built instead. I spoke to support at scan.co.uk who said that I can switch out stuff that isn't in their custom options for other stuff on their website. I'll list out what I'm looking to go for:

CPU: 5800x
Motherboard: Probably x570 board - need some help
CPU fan: Either D15 or D15s
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver MX4
RAM: Any 32GB (2x16GB) 3600Mhz cl18 that's the cheapest at the time of buying
SSD: 2tb Samsung Evo Plus
Graphics Card: RTX 3080
PSU: Corsair RMx 850 Watt
Case: Will aim to pick one tomorrow
Monitor: Will post in the monitor forum tomorrow for advice
Optical disc drive: Cheap external DVD drive

I have a few questions about the above:
  1. Would this be a silent/very quiet build?
  2. Does anything look out of place (for example power mismatch) or get better bang for buck with switching something?
  3. I've been looking at motherboards and they all look fairly similar, with some having slightly different features than others. Anything in particular to look out for here? Some main priorities I have are that the active fan is quiet/silent, it's reliable, if it has a heatsink on the m.2 slot then I don't need to remove lots of stuff to take out the ssd.
  4. I know that the D15s has clearance for RAM, but is there any other differences between them? Any clear winner to go for here?
  5. I was set on getting the Samsung Evo Plus, but having done a bit of research it seems like there's a lot of pci 4.0 ssd's available now. I'm looking for general performance (I don't do any/much producitivity stuff), occasionally move decent sized files around (a few gigabytes worth) and tend to have a lot of internet tabs open, quite a few with media playing plus office documents and gaming. Would it be best to go for a pci 4.0 ssd and if so which one would be good?
  6. Any suggestions for good cases (ideally ones with 4 usb slots on the front) and anything in particular to look out for regarding cases? I've been watching a few gamers nexus videos of cases and was wondering if they had a hierarchy/tier list of cases posted somewhere or if there is a reliable one on another website?
  7. I've never bought a pre-built PC before, anything in particular to be aware of? I'm a bit concerned about things like warranty, testing components if the system starts acting weird or even opening the case... would I need to send the whole thing back rather than being able to troubleshoot it myself?
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Here is a quick update on my journet to get a new PC. After my failure at trying to get a 3080 at a non scalped price I'm looking at getting a pre-built instead. I spoke to support at scan.co.uk who said that I can switch out stuff that isn't in their custom options for other stuff on their website. I'll list out what I'm looking to go for:

CPU: 5800x
Motherboard: Probably x570 board - need some help
CPU fan: Either D15 or D15s
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver MX4
RAM: Any 32GB (2x16GB) 3600Mhz cl18 that's the cheapest at the time of buying
SSD: 2tb Samsung Evo Plus
Graphics Card: RTX 3080
PSU: Corsair RMx 850 Watt
Case: Will aim to pick one tomorrow
Monitor: Will post in the monitor forum tomorrow for advice
Optical disc drive: Cheap external DVD drive

I have a few questions about the above:
  1. Would this be a silent/very quiet build?
  2. Does anything look out of place (for example power mismatch) or get better bang for buck with switching something?
  3. I've been looking at motherboards and they all look fairly similar, with some having slightly different features than others. Anything in particular to look out for here? Some main priorities I have are that the active fan is quiet/silent, it's reliable, if it has a heatsink on the m.2 slot then I don't need to remove lots of stuff to take out the ssd.
  4. I know that the D15s has clearance for RAM, but is there any other differences between them? Any clear winner to go for here?
  5. I was set on getting the Samsung Evo Plus, but having done a bit of research it seems like there's a lot of pci 4.0 ssd's available now. I'm looking for general performance (I don't do any/much producitivity stuff), occasionally move decent sized files around (a few gigabytes worth) and tend to have a lot of internet tabs open, quite a few with media playing plus office documents and gaming. Would it be best to go for a pci 4.0 ssd and if so which one would be good?
  6. Any suggestions for good cases (ideally ones with 4 usb slots on the front) and anything in particular to look out for regarding cases? I've been watching a few gamers nexus videos of cases and was wondering if they had a hierarchy/tier list of cases posted somewhere or if there is a reliable one on another website?
  7. I've never bought a pre-built PC before, anything in particular to be aware of? I'm a bit concerned about things like warranty, testing components if the system starts acting weird or even opening the case... would I need to send the whole thing back rather than being able to troubleshoot it myself?
Thanks again!
To answer your questions...

1. Depends on the case, fans and the ambient you keep the PC in.

2. Depends on how much you are paying for the rig. Looks fine otherwise.

3. For quieter operation and better performance, adequate VRM and power cycle is required. Here are some useful links...
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...c-budget-around-£2-500.3684628/#post-22222183

4. The d15 is slightly better due to its duel fan config...
https://noctua.at/en/whats-the-difference-between-nh-d15-and-nh-d15s

5. If price is not a factor then PCIe4 will benefit slightly for large file transfer. However, unless you are doing it on a regular basis, most likely you wont find any difference...

6. Heres a good case for your consideration...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Case | Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case | $134.99 @ Newegg
| Total | $134.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-21 07:31 EST-0500 |

Some other quite cases here...
https://www.quietpc.com/cases-atx

7. There is always something called customer support. Ideally if its under warranty you let them do the dirty work. In case you dont have time, keep them in loop before touching the innards.

Reactions: Dj0gany

guest7789

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
To answer your questions...

1. Depends on the case, fans and the ambient you keep the PC in.

2. Depends on how much you are paying for the rig. Looks fine otherwise.

3. For quieter operation and better performance, adequate VRM and power cycle is required. Here are some useful links...
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/advice-on-new-quiet-silent-pc-budget-around-£2-500.3684628/#post-22222183

4. The d15 is slightly better due to its duel fan config...
https://noctua.at/en/whats-the-difference-between-nh-d15-and-nh-d15s

5. If price is not a factor then PCIe4 will benefit slightly for large file transfer. However, unless you are doing it on a regular basis, most likely you wont find any difference...

6. Heres a good case for your consideration...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Case | Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case | $134.99 @ Newegg
| Total | $134.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-21 07:31 EST-0500 |

Some other quite cases here...
https://www.quietpc.com/cases-atx

7. There is always something called customer support. Ideally if its under warranty you let them do the dirty work. In case you dont have time, keep them in loop before touching the innards.

3) I think one of the links goes back to this thread. The other one I'm not understanding most of it! Anything in particular to focus on in the spreadsheet?

4) Looks like the D15s is able to give a bit more clearance to the mobo and GPU on some mobos, so I'll probs get that and get an additional fan for it.

5) Thanks for the link, I see a lot of brands there I don't know (like I didn't know that Gigabyte made SSD's), are they reliable?