Question Advice on new quiet/silent PC - budget around £2,500

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

guest7789

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I've posted in the display forum regarding what resolution I should run a new PC at and they kindly (and overwhelmingly!) said 1440p, so that will be what I'll be going for (unless there's a reason not to). I'm UK based and would prefer to order from amazon or currys to get VAT invoices.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as parts are in stock

Budget Range: £2,000-£2,500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Work (mainly could have 100+ tabs open on firefox where quite a few could be playing Twitch/YouTube streams at once), Gaming (older games as well as newer ones like cyberpunk etc)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes but that would be a separate budget

Parts to Upgrade: All, but do not need mouse, keyboard, headset

Do you need to buy OS: No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
business.amazon.co.uk and business.currys.co.uk

Parts Preferences:
CPU - AMD currently considering 5800x, open to suggestions
CPU cooler - Unsure, but looking at Noctua NH14s and BeQuiet Dark Rock 4. Open to suggestions
Thermal Paste - I think I used Arctic Silver or Thermal Grizzly before. Are they still good or is there something better?
RAM - 32GB 3600MHz. Unsure of which brand or configuration to go for
Mobo - No idea, maybe x570? concerned about the fan and coil whine
GPU - Currently considering 3080, open to suggestions
PSU - No idea, my current PC has an EVGA as that was supposed to be one of the best at the time (8 years ago). Not sure what is good bang for buck these days
Case - No idea. Current case looks like a Fractal Design R5. I need at least 4 front USB ports on top of the case.
SSD - Currently considering 2tb Samsung 970 evo plus. Open to suggestions
Might need an internal DVD drive.

Overclocking: Maybe light overclocking in the future

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Looking to get 1440p monitors

Additional Comments: I would really like a silent or very quiet PC that will have good thermals. I play a lot of different kinds of games, from online fps, strategy games etc. I'm looking for good value for money but also some future proofing.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I've had my current PC for about 8-9 years and only upgraded graphics card and hard drive in that time. Current specs are 3570k, gtx 970 and samsung sata ssd. It's really showing it's age as some tasks like having many tabs open can really lag the PC and I get lag in quite a few games (including path of exile, world war Z that I've played recently).

Please let me know of your suggestions and amendments that would best fit the requirements. Thanks in advance!

3) I think one of the links goes back to this thread. The other one I'm not understanding most of it! Anything in particular to focus on in the spreadsheet?

4) Looks like the D15s is able to give a bit more clearance to the mobo and GPU on some mobos, so I'll probs get that and get an additional fan for it.

5) Thanks for the link, I see a lot of brands there I don't know (like I didn't know that Gigabyte made SSD's), are they reliable?
3. Opps, there you go...

5. Whichever brand you choose, read the reviews about that product. And yes, the Gigabyte SSDs are good.

These Tier Lists are not exactly accurate, but they give you a broader picture of what to look out for.

guest7789

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Thought I would give a quick update.

After a couple of weeks of trying to order something I should hopefully be able to order a custom build in the next day or two (whenever they send me the invoice).

These are the parts I'm going for:

CPU: 5800x
Motherboard: MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk wifi
Cooler: Noctua D15S Chromax
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver MX4
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX Black
SSD: 2TB Aorus m.2 PCIe 4.0
Graphics card: RTX 3080 TUF Gaming
PSU: Corsair RMx 850 watt
Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 802
Optical Drive: Liteon External slim USB 2.0

If anything particularly stands out as being not good, please let me know!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Thought I would give a quick update.

After a couple of weeks of trying to order something I should hopefully be able to order a custom build in the next day or two (whenever they send me the invoice).

These are the parts I'm going for:

CPU: 5800x
Motherboard: MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk wifi
Cooler: Noctua D15S Chromax
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver MX4
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX Black
SSD: 2TB Aorus m.2 PCIe 4.0
Graphics card: RTX 3080 TUF Gaming
PSU: Corsair RMx 850 watt
Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 802
Optical Drive: Liteon External slim USB 2.0

If anything particularly stands out as being not good, please let me know!

Looks good, I would have avoided the LPX RAM, but it will probably be work fine. For AMD I rather get gskill every time if posible.

Then again, everything looks great (don't mind my RAM comment too much, I know a few guys who have used corsairs lpx + amd without issues)

That's a bit concerning! What kinds of issues are there with LPX, is it boot or stability problems etc? I don't think Scan sell much other than Corsair unfortunately :(

There is not really an issue per se, so as I wrote dont mind too much about my comment.

Its just that Ryzen + Gskill is my go to.

But I don't even have it for my own build. Gskill stick weren't available here so I went with Adata and soo far no issue.

I have this thing with RAM, is how I am, for example if I build AMD or Intel I prefer Gskil, been Kingston Hyper X Fury and Crucial Ballistix my second choices.

Right now, you get whats available most times, and you got a pretty solid build!

Reactions: Dj0gany
That's a bit concerning! What kinds of issues are there with LPX, is it boot or stability problems etc? I don't think Scan sell much other than Corsair unfortunately :(
Gskill was known to have better compatibility with earlier Ryzen, but I don't think that issue exists anymore with their current gen. Also for the cooler you selected LPX would have better compatibility due to its low profile.