Advice on new to be built Desktop

Jake_Green

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Hello,
To start I am on an extremely low budget right now and recently lost my old desktop. My goal for my my new build is to keep the budget as low as possible, leave my self some room to upgrade in the future, and build something that will be stable and reliable for several years.

I will be using this desktop as a media center, for some light gaming (I will run any game on low settings and be more than satisfied with that as long as it's smooth, but i'd like to be able to run a few "higher end" games. Nothing to intensive), and possibly for some music recording and editing.

I've done quite a bit of research and found some great prices. This is what I'm thinking.
(Items I have already)
Windows 7 x64
Apevia X-Jupiter full tower Case w/ a fan controller
Lite On CD/DVD Burner w/ labelflash
7200 rpm 160 and 250 internal hard drives
2x 1TB external hard drives
5x blue LED case fans

(Items I will buy pending on thread advice)
(APU) AMD A6 5400k (39.46 shipped)
(Mobo) MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 (38.95 shipped)
(RAM) 2 x 4GB GSkill 1600 Ripjaws (40.00)
(PSU) Tagan BZ 800 watt (40.00 shipped) This is a ebay item that has a broken 4 pin connector. I have a non functional one of the same model. My thoughts are that I can simply splice the 4 pin wires from my fried psu and have a fully functional high performance psu. I'm not sure if this is a good idea yet. would appreciate your advice.

Total Cost is only ~$160.00 for this build which is so beyond cheap. This first items i would buy would be first a $25-30 CPU cooler. Then a ~$80 7750 GPU. Then a 500gb-1TB Internal Harddrive. And finally I'd be willing to upgrade my APU to a A10 Richland or the up and coming Kaveri.

I'd like to try and run Raid 10 on the two older hard drives, but would like to know exactly what kind of speed boost i'd be looking at by doing so. Maybe it would be a better Idea for me to just run raid 1? I can back up my hard drives on my externals just as easily. I'm just looking to increase my performance through Raid. Also, I'm definitely interested in trying to do some overclocking to get more out of my A6(this will be my first time :p). I've done some research and i'd definitely start with a minor OC while using the stock cooler then try and push it a bit more once i pick up a better one. This system should have some very decent airflow. 1x 140mm front intake, 1x 120mm side intake, 1x 120mm lower back intake, 1x 120mm upper back exhaust, 1x 140mm exhaust. And my case has some decent cable management.

Please give me some productive opinions, Advice, and feedback.

Thank you!!
Jake

SavingPvtTom

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Well, your soon to be PC is quite a mix of parts, but should be OK. One thing I would say though is, even though your looking for upgradability, you really don't need 800w. You could definitely save cash by going for a 650w psu. Im not really an expert when it comes to raid configurations, so sorry about that you'll need to ask someone else. With the cash saved form he psu, you could upgrade your cpu and/or mobo, because this gives you better upgrade options for the future.

Jake_Green

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
I definitely agree that a 800 watt power supply is overkill in this system, however if i cna repair the one that i found it will only be $5 more expensive than the Ultra 550LSP I was looking at. And as far as upgrading my mobo, this mobo is typically $55-60 fo i'd have to double the price and go for a $80 mobo so idk if i want to do that. I am unsure about the A6 processor, but again this APU normally goes for $60 so in order to upgrade i'd be looking a $85-90.

Jake_Green

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
I guess it would be better for me to ask some direct questions. First will this computer do what i want it to? What can raid do for my performance? Which raid application should i use? Does the A6 5400k overclock well? Should i hold off on overclocking with a stock cooler? Can i safely repair a power supply if just the one 4 pin wire is broken? And of course your opinions or any other advice is welcome too.
Thanks.