Question Advice on OC

keithhouseworth

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
Hey guys,

Just wanted some friendly advice on my OC setup, I just rebuilt my main rig in a “vintage“ case with less than optimal airflow and wanted to know what everyone thinks about my temps and OC.

System-
i5 8600k @ 4.5ghz 1.1V
Strix 1070 OC @ 2050mhz
EKWB CPU and GPU blocks, 280mm slim radiator with vardar fans

Temps while running PUBG average about 65C on CPU and about 50C on GPU

Any improvements to be had?

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
That is really good. If temperatures do not go above 70 degrees Celsius then that is fine. Does your computer case support any fans (e.g. 80 mm, 120 mm, 140 mm, 240 mm)? Do you make sure there is no dust in your computer?

Possibly some improvements to be made. Mostly tweaking though.. Good results on the temps. 65c for a demanding enough games is good. But, that's with a caveat.

Testing under gaming conditions is not sufficient for testing (max temps, min voltage) You should be using something like Prime95 for stability testing with best results, and repeatable results.

What are you using to test OC results?

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan

keithhouseworth

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
The build is brand new and in a case from 1998 lol so everything is custom. But it has a 140mm intake at the front, 280mm radiator bottom intake, 92mm rear exhaust plus PSU exhaust. I have previously tested stability with Prime95 and Unigine Valley so the current settings are completely stable, although I don’t recall the temps during synthetic load.

keithhouseworth

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
Also the idea behind running 1.1V was to try to cut down on the heat output I may even drop the CPU to stock speed and drop voltage further. I don’t feel that the OC has much benefit in the gaming I do.