[SOLVED] Advice on older LGA755 CPU that can run win10

Feb 19, 2019
Hello!

As title, am hoping on someone who can advise me on what recommended Cpu's that can run win10, for Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT LGA 775 motherboard (rev 1.1).

Something that I built over the weekend for my father, which is running perfectly on win7 without any problems, until I tried to upgrade, apparently the current CPU, (Pentium 4 Dual Processor) lacks PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF, which I found online its sadly common with this cpu.

So am at a loss on understanding what cpu's of this socket has the desired feature(s).

Solution
You would probably be fine with the Core 2 Duo, but if you can go for the Core 2 Quad. The extra cores will definitely help. Both are 45nm and the Core 2 Quad is basically 2 Core 2 Duos on a chip. The clock frequency difference will not make that much of a difference in performance.

As for the ram, 8gb should be considered a BARE MINIMUM today with how hungry some programs can be, so you are fine in that regard.
Feb 19, 2019
Any Core 2 Duo / Quad CPU will work. Just be sure to have 4Gb RAM, if you are able, for a reasonable experience.
Suggest a CPU from the Core 2 Duo 7xxx or 8xxx series, or any of the Core 2 Quad models.
Thank you for response!

The motherboard has 8gb ddr3 ram, so it should be adequate I hope. I made sure it ticked all the boxes needed for upgrade, unfortunately the vagueness of just meeting requirements didn't stop me buying and experincing a problem installing win10. I don't have any idea of what series are these, but are these choices from your suggestion I found that can work?

Duo

Quad

HardwareExtreme

Honorable
Jan 5, 2016
You would probably be fine with the Core 2 Duo, but if you can go for the Core 2 Quad. The extra cores will definitely help. Both are 45nm and the Core 2 Quad is basically 2 Core 2 Duos on a chip. The clock frequency difference will not make that much of a difference in performance.

As for the ram, 8gb should be considered a BARE MINIMUM today with how hungry some programs can be, so you are fine in that regard.

Reactions: Fabled Legend
Solution
Feb 19, 2019
Cheers! I'll aim for the Quad one, thanks, my father will only be using the pc for web browsing and facebook games, rarely much of anything, but hope its good enough for media streams like youtube and maybe a word processor software. Obviously will have a Anti-V and Firewall included, just want to enrich his computer life better over what he is currently using now which has horrendous slow loading times and limited to 1 program at a time.

Yup, I agree.
Gonna need the extra 2 cores.