Question Advice on open back headphones and keyboards.

ShiningTrevor

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
So I'm looking at a few brands which I have gotten plenty of mixed opinions about. I'm looking to spend around or less than 100 USD and this is what I have so far.

Audio-Technica ATHAD700X: New for around 90usd for amazon prime. Used for around 60usd prime.
Sennheiser HD 559: New 98usd, used 46 prime.

I've seen youtube reviews say the 700x was a blessing, then I've had people on discord tell me it's worse than excrement and that the HD 559 is way better. Just looking for some more input on if either one is worth more for the money, or if there are other contenders for less then 100usd.

As for the keyboard, my overall goal is to get a pair of headphones, I already have a blue yeti mic with filters and mounting arm (which I plan on upgrading from later), and I want to get a keyboard with switches that aren't so loud they become obnoxious through the mic.

*Edit: Also, would I need an amp or anything to really use those headphones?

Last edited:

gondo

Distinguished
As for the amp, if your motherboard is a higher end gaming one from MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, etc... and has an onboard DAC or amp you'll be fine. And if it does then it will also include virtual surround sound software such as Dolby Headphone. If not then I would recommend an external USB DAC. If you need advice on a DAC that let us know. Long story short you could get an affordable 2 channel stereo receiver with built in USB DAC and use that for the headphones plus an awesome pair of speakers for the PC and other devices. Or just a small USB DAC such as something from M-Audio. If you go the external DAC route there is software available to give you the virtual surround sound in games.

The headphone question is pretty easy. You already know what you want which is open back and over ear and under $100 US. Open back greatly reduces your selection and the $100 again reduces it. Check out the AKG K240 MKII. Both the Seinheisser and AKG come with detachable cables which eliminates the Audio Technica for me. The AKG is more balanced in sound, comes with velvet earpads, and a standard 3.5mm tip, and are very comfortable. I'd go for the AKG. If your budget was a bit higher I might go for a pair of Seinheissers. The AKGs will be a tad over $100 though and I found them for $125 on Amazon.

For the keyboard you either know you want mechanical switches or you don't know. If you're not picky check out the Seelseries Apex 150. Backlit, high quality durable membrane switches so it's spill resistant and silent, and very affordable. This is the best of the non mechanical keyboards. If you want mechanical you need to get a linear switch that is more silent and again I'd go Steelseries. After testing over 20 of the top brands over the years I feel that Steelseries makes one of the best products as far as durability, reliability, price, features, ergonomics, support and software are concerned.

ShiningTrevor

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
As for the amp, if your motherboard is a higher end gaming one from MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, etc... and has an onboard DAC or amp you'll be fine. And if it does then it will also include virtual surround sound software such as Dolby Headphone. If not then I would recommend an external USB DAC. If you need advice on a DAC that let us know. Long story short you could get an affordable 2 channel stereo receiver with built in USB DAC and use that for the headphones plus an awesome pair of speakers for the PC and other devices. Or just a small USB DAC such as something from M-Audio. If you go the external DAC route there is software available to give you the virtual surround sound in games.

The headphone question is pretty easy. You already know what you want which is open back and over ear and under $100 US. Open back greatly reduces your selection and the $100 again reduces it. Check out the AKG K240 MKII. Both the Seinheisser and AKG come with detachable cables which eliminates the Audio Technica for me. The AKG is more balanced in sound, comes with velvet earpads, and a standard 3.5mm tip, and are very comfortable. I'd go for the AKG. If your budget was a bit higher I might go for a pair of Seinheissers. The AKGs will be a tad over $100 though and I found them for $125 on Amazon.

For the keyboard you either know you want mechanical switches or you don't know. If you're not picky check out the Seelseries Apex 150. Backlit, high quality durable membrane switches so it's spill resistant and silent, and very affordable. This is the best of the non mechanical keyboards. If you want mechanical you need to get a linear switch that is more silent and again I'd go Steelseries. After testing over 20 of the top brands over the years I feel that Steelseries makes one of the best products as far as durability, reliability, price, features, ergonomics, support and software are concerned.

First off, thank you for taking the time to reply! Secondly, my motherboard is very...well not VERY old, but I built this machine back in 2013 and the motherboard was extremely cheap and made in Taiwan somewhere. So I'm gonna go with it not having any on-board amp. So I would very much like some advice on a USB DAC amp. Does it really make that much of a difference?

So you would rate the AKG K240 MKII over The Sen 559 and the 700x? The detachable cable isn't too big an issue with me, I'm at a station and don't take my headphones anywhere else. I was trying to find a pair of Sen 579's but apparently they discontinued them? And the ones that are left are just as expensive as the 599's.

Tech_smoove

BANNED
Jun 3, 2019
If you're looking for a good budget keyboard I would go with the Qisan Magicforce 68.

https://www.numpad.co/best-white-mechanical-gaming-keyboards/#budget-pick

It comes with Cherry MX reds which are really quiet, and you can put o-ring dampeners on it if you desire. Don't waste your money on those crappy Steelseries keyboards. If you want one with RGB backlighting I can make a few recommendations depending on how much you want to spend.

TRENDING THREADS