Question Advice on Overclocking 1333 MHz RAM

May 28, 2019
Hello guys, I plan on overclocking my RAM and I'm looking for some advice.

It is my first time trying to OC and I thought it's better to ask before touching anything

The memory is dual channel 16GB(2x8) 1333 Mhz DDR3 G-Skill Ares

My motherboard is ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 and it supports Max. 32GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture.

How high do you think I can OC the RAM without causing system instability? Do I also have to increase the voltage manually? What about the timings?

On the MB Manufacturer page they also mention about a feature called SMART DIGI+ :
- Smart DIGI+ Key- Quickly delivers optimized VRM frequency, voltage and current for superior CPU/DRAM overclocking performance with one click.

Any advice on how to proceed is appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

A good overclocking guide is here: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ram-overclocking-guide,review-33633-3.html

However being as you're not just enabling an XMP and your taking your RAM outside of recommended speeds, the likelihood of system instability is higher. You'll be lucky if you can get much noticeable difference out of it.

Any reason why you're trying to go full RAM OC and not just getting a new pack and enabling XMP?

May 25, 2019
You MIGHT be able to get it to run at DDR3 1600. Gskill Ares is decent ram so there is likely a little headroom. look up the timings for their DDR3 1600 and loosen the timings to those before you try increasing the speed to 1600 and you just might get lucky.