[SOLVED] Advice on PC Build

Mike12944

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
Ok so this will be the second time around building a pc. The one I have now is 7 years old and I really feel like I need to upgrade the processor. Currently I have an

intel i5-3570k

16GB DDR3 Ram

GTX 1080

500GB Samsung 850 EVO

I was wanting to upgrade since black Friday is here and the prices look pretty good at my local micro center. I was just gonna keep using my GTX 1080. I do have a 600 watt bronze power supply.

1.Should I buy a new one with it being 7 years old or will it be fine?

2. I was considering upgrading to the NVMe drive for my hard drive. The read and write times are 4x as fast. Will I notice that big of a difference or should I just save my money and continue to use my 850 EVO?

3. Is the AMD 3800x the best one to get for the price point of $300? Is the PCIe 4.0 worth anything right now?

4. I have a cooler master 212 Evo. How hard will that be to get off my existing processor and put it on the new one?

5. Also when I upgrade my RAM. I was gonna go up to 32GB of DDR4 memory. Will it make a big difference going from DDR3 to DDR4? I know going up to 32GB wont make much considering most of the time I dont use all of the 16GB but its so cheap why not.

I was also considering the Intel 9700k but according to passmark the AMD seems to beat it. Not really sure on the motherboard. You guys have any suggestions?

Solution
1)That depends on you.
To answer your question with another question: Are you satisfied with your PC's current prowess?

2)You won't notice any difference if you're primarily gaming.
Save your money and continue to use the EVO.

3)That's actually a good deal on it right now - 3700X is also $300, I think.
PCIe 4.0: same deal as NVMe. Only professional level workloads will see any benefit right now.

4)Hmm? You clean your PC at least once a year, right? When's the last time you changed the thermal paste? Taking the cooler off shouldn't be hard at all.
Your choices of upgrade is a problem though. The 212 Evo is insufficient for both the 3800X and 9700K, which are capable of dishing out up to 200w of waste heat. The 212 Evo was designed to...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)That depends on you.
To answer your question with another question: Are you satisfied with your PC's current prowess?

PCIe 4.0: same deal as NVMe. Only professional level workloads will see any benefit right now.

4)Hmm? You clean your PC at least once a year, right? When's the last time you changed the thermal paste? Taking the cooler off shouldn't be hard at all.
Your choices of upgrade is a problem though. The 212 Evo is insufficient for both the 3800X and 9700K, which are capable of dishing out up to 200w of waste heat. The 212 Evo was designed to handle 150w.

5)Newer motherboards aren't compatible with DDR3, so you don't have an option there.
You're right, ram is cheap right now, so no real reason NOT to. I did it myself. BUT, get a 2x 16GB kit instead of opting for a 4x 8GB one for stability reasons:
-the more dimms in use, the greater the load on the cpu's Internal Memory Controller.
-same deal with higher frequencies.
-For example, you get a 4x 8GB 3800 kit, but later find that the system isn't stable at that speed; you're forced to clock it down to 3200 instead. May not sound like a big deal, but when you paid for 3800, and don't get 3800...

6)I don't have much expertise in motherboards. About all I can do is link something like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGY2mqTn2rc

Solution

Mike12944

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
1)That depends on you.

Your choices of upgrade is a problem though. The 212 Evo is insufficient for both the 3800X and 9700K, which are capable of dishing out up to 200w of waste heat. The 212 Evo was designed to handle 150w.

5)Newer motherboards aren't compatible with DDR3, so you don't have an option there.
You're right, ram is cheap right now, so no real reason NOT to. I did it myself. BUT, get a 2x 16GB kit instead of opting for a 4x 8GB one for stability reasons:
-the more dimms in use, the greater the load on the cpu's Internal Memory Controller.
-same deal with higher frequencies.
-For example, you get a 4x 8GB 3800 kit, but later find that the system isn't stable at that speed; you're forced to clock it down to 3200 instead. May not sound like a big deal, but when you paid for 3800, and don't get 3800...

6)I don't have much expertise in motherboards. About all I can do is link something like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGY2mqTn2rc
I play a lot of strategy and simulation Games. It seems to be pushing the limit of my cpu the last year or two.

the 3800X is $330 right now. With an extra $30 off if I bundle it with a motherboard. I was leaning towards the 3800X for an extra $30.

thanks for the reply and the help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I play a lot of strategy and simulation Games. It seems to be pushing the limit of my cpu the last year or two.
Yep, strategy and sim games are cpu heavy titles, so an entirely understandable reason to upgrade from a 3570K.

the 3800X is $330 right now. With an extra $30 off if I bundle it with a motherboard. I was leaning towards the 3800X for an extra $30.
By itself, the 3800X is NOT worth that extra $30 premium. So, if you can get that bundle, go for it.

Mike12944

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
Yep, strategy and sim games are cpu heavy titles, so an entirely understandable reason to upgrade from a 3570K.

By itself, the 3800X is NOT worth that extra $30 premium. So, if you can get that bundle, go for it.
I can get the 3700X for $300 and an extra $30 off if I bundle it with a mother board. So you’re saying I should save the $30 and stick with the 3700X?
What about the intel 9700k? Is the 3700X better then the 9700k?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh? The bundle also applies for the 3700X as well?
Well shucks, get that one then! As a plus, the 212 Evo should be able to handle it as well - but(almost forgot!) you'll need to request an AM4 bracket from Cooler Master.

What about the intel 9700k? Is the 3700X better then the 9700k?
They are pretty even when not using more than 8 threads: Intel's non-hyperthreaded cpus run into some kind of frametime hiccup when all their threads are loaded, and performance actually decreases.
I do not know if the same hiccup applies for Ryzen - the vast majority of them have SMT(that's AMD's version of it), save for a few low end chips.

In the long run, the 3700X is going to be better; if games and other apps continue the trend of going up in thread usage, the 3700X is going to be more relevant for longer(at least 5 years).
BUT~! If you're someone who upgrades their hardware - the cpu, to be more specific - every few years regardless, then it won't matter which one you go with.