Question Advice on PC build

Jun 7, 2023
Sorry if this has been asked million times!
I'm currently getting parts for my new PC, I might have made couple of mistakes.
I went for I5-13400F processor, ordered MSI PRO Z790-A DDR4 motherboard and G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x16GB 4000mhz RAM.
What I noticed only afterwards is that the processor supports up to 3200MT/S on DDR4, does that mean my RAM basically won't use the rest of 800mhz?
Motherboard might be little bit of an overkill for this system, but it was on discount so I decided why not go for it.
I'm getting Samsung PRO 980 1TB SSD, also on discount.
I got Peerless Assassin as my CPU cooler, because the processor didn't come with the stock cooler, otherwise would probably use that.
Also I have MSI Armor 1070TI 8GB GPU from the PC I use right now, will probably upgrade soon.
Lastly I have 850W PSU laying around not sure what brand it is.
Is there any major mistakes I've made? Will this build perform as it should based on the parts?
I still have the possibility to return the items purchased and get more suitable components.
Thank you!

The Z-series chipset motherboard will allow the RAM to run overclocked at 4000MT/s. The i5 should have no problem with it either. 3200MT/s is the rated speed. Anything past that is overclocked. I think you did just fine with the CPU/RAM/Mobo. You won't be able to overclock the non-K series CPU, but Intel took that fun away from us many generations ago anyway, so who cares?

Not sure what brand your PSU is??? That's sort of a mistake, not knowing about your PSU. Find out the exact make and model and share it here. Let's find out if it's a fire hazard or not.

Jun 7, 2023
I'm right now in different country so my PSU is back home and can't get a photo of it until end of the month. For sure it's Xilence 850W, not sure of the exact model, it's non modular. I bought it already used with intention to use it on my crypto mining setup, however it looked completely new and unused when I got it. I guess I should get a new one just to be safe and not cook my entire system because of it.

EDIT: From what I found it should be CASE PSU ATX2.52 850W/XN240 XILENCE.

Last edited:

IDProG

Distinguished
Your mistake: Using a low-quality PSU.

The next ones are not fatal mistakes, but mistakes that can save you money if you do more research:
1. Pairing Z790 motherboard with a Non-K CPU.
2. Buy an overkill pair of RAM sticks (the sticks will just run at 3200MHz max)

if its general gaming, the 13400 can give decent performance. and you can later upgrade to 13700k or even the 13th gen refresh if the rumours are true. its not such a deal breaker.

You just need to enable XMP profile for the rams in bios.

do you mean to say that you have been using that Xilence PSU with your 1070ti till now or it is an unused PSU? This is the PSU in question: https://www.xilence.net/en/power-supplies/180

And its not a good model.

Jun 7, 2023
if its general gaming, the 13400 can give decent performance. and you can later upgrade to 13700k or even the 13th gen refresh if the rumours are true. its not such a deal breaker.

You just need to enable XMP profile for the rams in bios.

do you mean to say that you have been using that Xilence PSU with your 1070ti till now or it is an unused PSU? This is the PSU in question: https://www.xilence.net/en/power-supplies/180

And its not a good model.
I'm not using Xilence PSU right now.

What are some good PSU options I can go for with not being too expensive? Lets say max 100 euro

Intel locked down the system agent voltage on non-K SKUs so you will never see 4000 with DDR4 on it (expect 3466 with anything higher being extremely rare). If you ever plan on upgrading to 13600K or higher then going DDR5 would be a much better choice in general. Intel's B series motherboard chipsets are a better choice for non-K SKUs unless you need the extra I/O off the chipset, or plan on upgrading to a K SKU in the future.

PSU really depends on what your long term plans are with this system, because with the hardware you have here a good quality 450-550W PSU would do the trick just fine. Personally when choosing a PSU I look for 10 yr+ warranty and brand wise predominantly EVGA and Seasonic though there are a ton of good ones out there.

Sorry if this has been asked million times!
I'm currently getting parts for my new PC, I might have made couple of mistakes.
I went for I5-13400F processor, ordered MSI PRO Z790-A DDR4 motherboard and G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x16GB 4000mhz RAM.
What I noticed only afterwards is that the processor supports up to 3200MT/S on DDR4, does that mean my RAM basically won't use the rest of 800mhz?
Motherboard might be little bit of an overkill for this system, but it was on discount so I decided why not go for it.
I'm getting Samsung PRO 980 1TB SSD, also on discount.
I got Peerless Assassin as my CPU cooler, because the processor didn't come with the stock cooler, otherwise would probably use that.
Also I have MSI Armor 1070TI 8GB GPU from the PC I use right now, will probably upgrade soon.
Lastly I have 850W PSU laying around not sure what brand it is.
Is there any major mistakes I've made? Will this build perform as it should based on the parts?
I still have the possibility to return the items purchased and get more suitable components.
Thank you!
I would pair that cpu with a B760 board.

Jun 7, 2023
I would pair that cpu with a B760 board.
What's the reason behind it?

Right now I'm kinda regretting getting this CPU instead of, 13600k, which is 80 euros more expensive. I might try to sell it, since I don't think I can refund it anymore and get the 13600k, would that justify the Z790 pick?

Last edited:
I'm getting my parts in Latvia, but I'm located in Germany till august
Either of these boards will work fine with the 13400F.

https://www.dateks.lv/cenas/sistemplates-intel-procesoriem/927563-gigabyte-b760m-gaming-x-ddr4

Reactions: Yarken