Question Advice On PC Monitor......(Dell vs LG For Durability) + (22'' vs 24'')

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hi, please pardon my tedious questions................i don't play games at all so mostly for reading = i'm using a budget 23'' Dell (1920 x 1080) IPS monitor...........i'm looking at budget monitors = 24'' Dell (S2421HN) or 22'' LG (22MN430M) or 24'' LG (24MP400-B).......all are (1920x1080) IPS panels.........

## if i were to move from 23'' monitor to 22'' monitor - will i notice the smaller screen size that much ?.......the smaller one should be sharper since it's also (1920 x 1080) IPS panel...........? :unsure:

## which brand (LG vs Dell) is likely to be more durable as performance is not important to me.............?:unsure:

## LG has an external power supply for both monitors while Dell now uses an internal one..........will this affect the durability ?:unsure:

## LG has HDMI + VGA inputs for both monitors while Dell has only HDMI (2 inputs)................so is it better to buy the LG with HDMI + VGA inputs so if the HDMI input has an issue, i can still use the VGA input..............?...............Dell has 2 HDMI inputs but might suffer failure for both inputs since they're on the same circuit board ?:unsure:

many thanks

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
will i notice the smaller screen size that much ?

Probably not, since the size diff is so small.

the smaller one should be sharper since it's also (1920 x 1080) IPS panel

Sharper? Actually, no. Only diff what there is, is that individual pixels are tiny bit smaller and that may give you a feel that it is "sharper". Still, it takes as little as ~10cm closer viewing distance, for the same level of "sharpness" of 22" as it would be with 23" monitor.

What actually makes image on monitor to look sharper is the contrast ratio.

For example, the following image;
Do you agree that image on the left is "sharper" than image on the right?

Good_and_Bad_Contrast_small.jpg

If so, then this is good example of different contrast ratio. Image on the left has around 3000:1 contrast ratio (e.g VA panel), while image on the right has 1000:1 contrast ratio (e.g TN and IPS panel).

Here's further reading of contrast ratio, if interested,
link: https://www.cnet.com/culture/contrast-ratio-or-how-every-tv-manufacturer-lies-to-you/

which brand (LG vs Dell) is likely to be more durable

LG is good brand, especially with TVs. It's one of the top brands, alongside Sony and Panasonic. And them being good with TVs, is good indicator that they are good with monitors too.
Dell has poor reputation, namely due to their proprietary hardware within their prebuilt PCs.

Between the two, i'd go with LG on a heartbeat.

LG has an external power supply for both monitors while Dell now uses an internal one..........will this affect the durability?

Only affect that i can see, is that with internal power brick, the heat it produces, feeds into other components of the monitor. While with external power brick, the heat production doesn't interfere with monitor and it's internals.

so if the HDMI input has an issue, i can still use the VGA input

Valid concern and yes. If the digital port (HDMI) happens to crap out, you can then use analog port (VGA). Dell monitor doesn't have that convenience.

all are (1920x1080) IPS panels.........

A bit more about different panel types;

To pick a monitor, it's good when you know more about different monitor panel types. There are 3x kinds of monitor panels: TN, VA and IPS. Actually there are more (variations of the main three) but i focus on these main ones.

TN panel is oldest of the three and also cheapest. Where TN panel excels is it's performance, most notably response time (1ms).
Though, TN panel also has it's downsides. Prominent ones are: poor color accuracy (washed out colors), very narrow view angle and poor contrast ratio (max 1000:1).

Gaming wise, TN panel monitor is best suited for fast-paced games (FPS, racing etc), where you don't care as much about pretty colors as you do about smoothness of movements.
For everyday use, the poor contrast ratio, poor color accuracy and narrow viewing angles are the worst of the three panel types.

IPS panel has been around for some time and is also the most expensive of the three.
Where IPS panel excels is it's color accuracy, which is the best of the three. Also, it has widest viewing angles of the three.
But where IPS panel falls short is response time. IPS technology by design can't be any faster than 4ms (compared to the 1ms most TN panels are). Another area where IPS panel falls short is it's poor contrast ratio which is equal to a TN panel (max 1000:1), despite it's great color accuracy. This is most prominent when looking at black image and where black isn't black but instead gray or some form of blue. Refresh rates aren't IPS panel strong side either and many IPS panels are 60Hz, especially on higher resolutions. There are some 1440p 165Hz and 4K 120Hz IPS panel monitors out there but they are few and far apart, also costing a fortune.

Gaming wise, IPS panel monitor is best suited for slow-paced games (RPG, strategy etc), where you have time to see all those pretty colors and where smoothness of movements isn't that important.
For everyday use, it has best color accuracy (pretty colors) and very good viewing angles. But it has the same level of poor contrast ratio as TN panel have. Ruining the overall look.

VA panel is the newest of the three and price wise, it falls between TN and IPS. VA panel was created to take the best of both worlds (TN and IPS) and combine them.
Where VA panel excels is it's contrast ratio (min 3000:1), where you'd see the deepest and richest blacks. Also, it doesn't fall short on other aspects as well. VA panel color accuracy isn't as good as it is for IPS panel but it's close to the levels of IPS panel (considerably better than TN panel). It's viewing angle is also a notch smaller than that of an IPS panel but again, considerably better than that of a TN panel. Refresh rate wise, VA panel is more capable on different resolutions than IPS panel. Response time is another area where VA panel does good. While VA panel can't naturally be any faster than 4ms (just like IPS panel), it can achieve the magical 1ms response thanks to the software solution in it.
With VA panel monitors making waves lately, there aren't any major downsides of them. Availability used to be issue but not anymore.

Gaming wise, VA panel monitor is suited for all kinds of games. VA panel is like Jack of all trades but master of none.
And same goes for everyday use. All around good panel, which excels with contrast ratio.

So, if you care about image "sharpness", look towards VA panel monitors, with minimum of 3000:1 contrast ratio.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
Probably not, since the size diff is so small.

Sharper? Actually, no. Only diff what there is, is that individual pixels are tiny bit smaller and that may give you a feel that it is "sharper". Still, it takes as little as ~10cm closer viewing distance, for the same level of "sharpness" of 22" as it would be with 23" monitor.

What actually makes image on monitor to look sharper is the contrast ratio.

For example, the following image;
Do you agree that image on the left is "sharper" than image on the right?

Good_and_Bad_Contrast_small.jpg

If so, then this is good example of different contrast ratio. Image on the left has around 3000:1 contrast ratio (e.g VA panel), while image on the right has 1000:1 contrast ratio (e.g TN and IPS panel).

Here's further reading of contrast ratio, if interested,
link: https://www.cnet.com/culture/contrast-ratio-or-how-every-tv-manufacturer-lies-to-you/

LG is good brand, especially with TVs. It's one of the top brands, alongside Sony and Panasonic. And them being good with TVs, is good indicator that they are good with monitors too.
Dell has poor reputation, namely due to their proprietary hardware within their prebuilt PCs.

Between the two, i'd go with LG on a heartbeat.

Only affect that i can see, is that with internal power brick, the heat it produces, feeds into other components of the monitor. While with external power brick, the heat production doesn't interfere with monitor and it's internals.

Valid concern and yes. If the digital port (HDMI) happens to crap out, you can then use analog port (VGA). Dell monitor doesn't have that convenience.

A bit more about different panel types;

To pick a monitor, it's good when you know more about different monitor panel types. There are 3x kinds of monitor panels: TN, VA and IPS. Actually there are more (variations of the main three) but i focus on these main ones.

TN panel is oldest of the three and also cheapest. Where TN panel excels is it's performance, most notably response time (1ms).
Though, TN panel also has it's downsides. Prominent ones are: poor color accuracy (washed out colors), very narrow view angle and poor contrast ratio (max 1000:1).

Gaming wise, TN panel monitor is best suited for fast-paced games (FPS, racing etc), where you don't care as much about pretty colors as you do about smoothness of movements.
For everyday use, the poor contrast ratio, poor color accuracy and narrow viewing angles are the worst of the three panel types.

IPS panel has been around for some time and is also the most expensive of the three.
Where IPS panel excels is it's color accuracy, which is the best of the three. Also, it has widest viewing angles of the three.
But where IPS panel falls short is response time. IPS technology by design can't be any faster than 4ms (compared to the 1ms most TN panels are). Another area where IPS panel falls short is it's poor contrast ratio which is equal to a TN panel (max 1000:1), despite it's great color accuracy. This is most prominent when looking at black image and where black isn't black but instead gray or some form of blue. Refresh rates aren't IPS panel strong side either and many IPS panels are 60Hz, especially on higher resolutions. There are some 1440p 165Hz and 4K 120Hz IPS panel monitors out there but they are few and far apart, also costing a fortune.

Gaming wise, IPS panel monitor is best suited for slow-paced games (RPG, strategy etc), where you have time to see all those pretty colors and where smoothness of movements isn't that important.
For everyday use, it has best color accuracy (pretty colors) and very good viewing angles. But it has the same level of poor contrast ratio as TN panel have. Ruining the overall look.

VA panel is the newest of the three and price wise, it falls between TN and IPS. VA panel was created to take the best of both worlds (TN and IPS) and combine them.
Where VA panel excels is it's contrast ratio (min 3000:1), where you'd see the deepest and richest blacks. Also, it doesn't fall short on other aspects as well. VA panel color accuracy isn't as good as it is for IPS panel but it's close to the levels of IPS panel (considerably better than TN panel). It's viewing angle is also a notch smaller than that of an IPS panel but again, considerably better than that of a TN panel. Refresh rate wise, VA panel is more capable on different resolutions than IPS panel. Response time is another area where VA panel does good. While VA panel can't naturally be any faster than 4ms (just like IPS panel), it can achieve the magical 1ms response thanks to the software solution in it.
With VA panel monitors making waves lately, there aren't any major downsides of them. Availability used to be issue but not anymore.

Gaming wise, VA panel monitor is suited for all kinds of games. VA panel is like Jack of all trades but master of none.
And same goes for everyday use. All around good panel, which excels with contrast ratio.

So, if you care about image "sharpness", look towards VA panel monitors, with minimum of 3000:1 contrast ratio.

many thanks for the detailed reply..................i'm leaning towards the 22'' LG since it has headphone out and it's 1 size smaller than my current 23'' Dell.............but the 22'' LG has thick bezels so actual screen size might be smaller than 21.5'' ??

i was considering the 24'' Dell simply becoz of the headphone out but it's even bigger than my current one and it has an internal PSU...................the 24'' LG i was looking at hasn't headphone out...............

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but the 22'' LG has thick bezels so actual screen size might be smaller than 21.5'' ??

No.

What is listed, is the actual panel size. Since it has thick bezels, those are excluded from 22" panel size. Now, if you look up monitor specs, you can see that the width of the monitor is 20.1". The extra 0.1" is the bezel.
Specs: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-22mn430m-b-led-monitor

And i also just measured my monitor, MSI MAG241CR,
specs: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG241CR/Specification

Which has panel size of 23.6" or 60cm diagonal. I measured the monitor including the bezels and i got 62cm diagonal or 24.4".

headphone out

On normal desktop PC, it has 2 headphone out 3.5mm jacks;
1st one at the back, on MoBo I/O panel
2nd one at the front, on PC case I/O panel (if you have PC case that has it, that is)

But i get that, for convenience, one could be on the monitor as well.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
No.

What is listed, is the actual panel size. Since it has thick bezels, those are excluded from 22" panel size. Now, if you look up monitor specs, you can see that the width of the monitor is 20.1". The extra 0.1" is the bezel.
Specs: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-22mn430m-b-led-monitor

And i also just measured my monitor, MSI MAG241CR,
specs: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG241CR/Specification

Which has panel size of 23.6" or 60cm diagonal. I measured the monitor including the bezels and i got 62cm diagonal or 24.4".

On normal desktop PC, it has 2 headphone out 3.5mm jacks;
1st one at the back, on MoBo I/O panel
2nd one at the front, on PC case I/O panel (if you have PC case that has it, that is)

But i get that, for convenience, one could be on the monitor as well.

many thanks for the info................i've also emailed LG about the actual screen size............as for the headphone out = i connect a tv set-up box to the monitor so sometimes, i can use it as a small tv..........