[SOLVED] Advice on PC upgrade

oli_ct

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Hello all,

My call of duty warzone has not been running on my PC for ages. I ran my computer in 'system requirements lab' and it said my CPU was not compatible. It recommends a Intel Core i3-4340 but I wanted to check that it was compatible for my PC before I bought it. The specs I have are (print screen attached as well):
Video card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

As a side note, I am using Windows 10 but never ended up paying for it. I registered and started using it but never bought the full program. My friend suggested this could aslo be a problem as I won't get updates. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Solution
@Third-Eye I can't seem to post a picture but the part number is CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1
You need to upload the screenshot to an image hosting site like https://imgur.com/. Upload a screenshot of the Memory and SPD tab from CPU-Z so we can see what settings it's using.

Your module is a Crucial 2400 CL17, but likely running at CL16 or CL18. https://www.newegg.com/crucial-8gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/0G6-01NG-00001

You could probably just get another of the same module for dual channel and run both without issue at 2400 CL16. Personally, I would try to get a 2x8GB 3200 kit for a potential 10-15fps boost over 2x8GB 2400. I don't know what prices you have in your region, but in the US 2x8GB 3200 CL16 is $65-85 for non...

oli_ct

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
That about windows is not correct,windows is literrally the same activated/or not.There are some minor differences but its nothing serious.
I only see ur OS and your Graphics card,what about the rest of your system?

Thank you so much for replying! I did not have email notification turned on otherwise I would have got back to you sooner. Thank you for letting me know about the windows programme.

The rest of my system is as follows (I am not sure if this is everything):
Current processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor
Video card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: 8GB
Motherboard: asrock ab350m-hdv
Hard drive: wdc wd10ezex-60wn4a0

Thank you

Last edited:

oli_ct

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
As a side question, if it is not the un-activated windows that is causing the PC to run slowly when opening programs (including chrome) could that be due to the CPU as well?

What games do you play,some games are cpu intenstive,some games are gpu intensive?
Also upgrade that ram to 16gb.
If you cant afford a 2x8gb 3200mhz kit,which is kind of standard nowadays,then can you list the exact model number of your existing ram,since you have to buy the exact same ram stick,for it to have maximum chance kf working together.

oli_ct

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
U dont have a ssd,thats why.
If you can,buy a 240gb SATA ssd for windows,it should be 30$ pretty much everywhere in the world.
Something like this from kingston
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-240GB-Solid-SA400S37-240G/dp/B01N5IB20Q

I will be honest, had never heard of an SSD before! I can see they are the newer form if hard drives, so that could deffo account for speed related issues. If I got the SSD and replaced the CPU with a Intel Core i3-4340 would everything be compatible?

oli_ct

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
What games do you play,some games are cpu intenstive,some games are gpu intensive?
Also upgrade that ram to 16gb.
If you cant afford a 2x8gb 3200mhz kit,which is kind of standard nowadays,then can you list the exact model number of your existing ram,since you have to buy the exact same ram stick,for it to have maximum chance kf working together.

Sorry didn't see your second message. I pretty much just play COD warzone, which does recommend the Intel Core i3-4340 so I am guessing it is more CPU intensive? The kit you posted does look a bit out of my price range, but I will certainly look at increasing RAM. Thank you!

I3 4340 is significantly worse than your r3 1200.Warzone wont run well with 8gb of ram.
You could have a 10900k with 3090 and 8gb of ram and it would strugle to reach 30 fps trust me.
A 2x8gb 3200mhz kit would set you back about 70$,so keep that in mind.
The main reason you are struggling in warzone is because u dont have 16gb of ram.
Take a look yourself
View: https://youtu.be/4rKYv01oetE

And yeah after ram i would definitely upgrade your cpu.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt

oli_ct

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
I3 4340 is significantly worse than your r3 1200.Warzone wont run well with 8gb of ram.
You could have a 10900k with 3090 and 8gb of ram and it would strugle to reach 30 fps trust me.
A 2x8gb 3200mhz kit would set you back about 70$,so keep that in mind.
The main reason you are struggling in warzone is because u dont have 16gb of ram.
Take a look yourself
View: https://youtu.be/4rKYv01oetE

And yeah after ram i would definitely upgrade your cpu.

That is weird cos on other websites I was looking at it said my r3 was not compatible? Honestly that video looks so much like my performance! I might just look to improve the ram then and leave the CPU for now and just see how it works...?

Reactions: Dj0gany
That is weird cos on other websites I was looking at it said my r3 was not compatible? Honestly that video looks so much like my performance! I might just look to improve the ram then and leave the CPU for now and just see how it works...?
If you were looking at can i run it,dont believe anything they say,please.You are better of asking a simple question on this forum then going on can i run it.The only time i would go for such sites is to get a idea of what the game requires,mostly new games,because i can techically imagine what my performance is going to be.

oli_ct

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
If you were looking at can i run it,dont believe anything they say,please.You are better of asking a simple question on this forum then going on can i run it.The only time i would go for such sites is to get a idea of what the game requires,mostly new games,because i can techically imagine what my performance is going to be.

Thank you so much. Yea this forum (and yourself specifically) has been far more useful. Thank you for all your time and for the links you have sent across!

I3 4340 is significantly worse than your r3 1200.
These CPUs are nearly the same in performance with them being with in 1-5% of each other depending on the task.

Also, I wouldn't be recommending $30 SSDs to someone who hasn't even heard of them ( yes I know the OP said that after you recommended).

@oli_ct
For a first time SSD buyer, I would recommend no less than a 500GB in the $45-60 range with the Samsung 860 Evo being the current best in most situations for non work station systems. Getting at least a 500GB leaves enough room for an OS install and a few large game installs. If I had to recommend a 240-256GB, I would suggest an SSD from Crucial, Intel, Samsung or Western Digital.

$30 models tend to be either terrible quality, slower than slightly more expensive models or even DRAM less models that are sometimes more trouble than it's worth.

These CPUs are nearly the same in performance with them being with in 1-5% of each other depending on the task.

Also, I wouldn't be recommending $30 SSDs to someone who hasn't even heard of them ( yes I know the OP said that after you recommended).

@oli_ct
For a first time SSD buyer, I would recommend no less than a 500GB in the $45-60 range with the Samsung 860 Evo being the current best in most situations for non work station systems. Getting at least a 500GB leaves enough room for an OS install and a few large game installs. If I had to recommend a 240-256GB, I would suggest an SSD from Crucial, Intel, Samsung or Western Digital.

$30 models tend to be either terrible quality, slower than slightly more expensive models or even DRAM less models that are sometimes more trouble than it's worth.
The crucial MX500 is also a good choice. Often available for $10 less than the Evo

oli_ct

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Appreciate the help so much! I have since looked into SSDs so thank you for sending suggestions. Now, as I mainly just use this machine to play COD with my mates I do not want to break the bank if possible. Do you think I can get away with just increasing the RAM of the computer in order to get good gameplay and stop being constantly booted from the game? Or will I have to spring for both the CPU and SSD?
@Prad_Bitt @Third-Eye @Djoza

Appreciate the help so much! I have since looked into SSDs so thank you for sending suggestions. Now, as I mainly just use this machine to play COD with my mates I do not want to break the bank if possible. Do you think I can get away with just increasing the RAM of the computer in order to get good gameplay and stop being constantly booted from the game? Or will I have to spring for both the CPU and SSD?
@Prad_Bitt @Third-Eye @Djoza
I'd say RAM + SSD. That should be enough.

You can try to squeeze the life out of the 1200 while you can lol

Safe, thak you!! Will look into getting them although can see they are hard to get (sold out on Amazon currently)
What is your budget and can you stretch it a little if you needed to?

It's not recommended, but you can try adding a second 8GB module to your system for less money, assuming you already have 1x8GB. The worst that will happen is it will be incompatible, but more likely will just run at 2133 and need to be manually adjusted instead of using XMP to set the speed.

Use CPU-Z to get the model of your currently installed ram from the SPD tab. Post the Part Number or screenshot the window/tab (alt+shift+prtscrn button) and post the image. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

@Third-Eye I can't seem to post a picture but the part number is CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1
You need to upload the screenshot to an image hosting site like https://imgur.com/. Upload a screenshot of the Memory and SPD tab from CPU-Z so we can see what settings it's using.

Your module is a Crucial 2400 CL17, but likely running at CL16 or CL18. https://www.newegg.com/crucial-8gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/0G6-01NG-00001

You could probably just get another of the same module for dual channel and run both without issue at 2400 CL16. Personally, I would try to get a 2x8GB 3200 kit for a potential 10-15fps boost over 2x8GB 2400. I don't know what prices you have in your region, but in the US 2x8GB 3200 CL16 is $65-85 for non RGB.

Pricing on ram has been pretty weird in the US lately, with slower kits being the same price as 3200 CL16. If you can't get 2x8GB 3200 CL16 within your budget, try to get 2933/3000 or 2666. Kits with even cas latency (CL) are usually better for Ryzen CPUs, but you can get an odd number cas latency kit like a CL15 or CL17 kit and easily adjust that to CL16 or run it at it's advertised specs after adjusting other ram settings. Lower cas latency is better, but more expensive.

Solution