Advice on potential new build for heavy PS and 4k video

dbonnerphoto

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
Hi, so I've been building basically low-ish end PC's for a while...feel fairly confident in my abilities. That being said, I'm not up to date with all the latest/greatest tech and what is really a necessity or just bragging rights with regards to mid to higher end stuff. I work as a photographer and retoucher (photoshop), and my current build is fine for most things. 36mp raw files, edited in PS CC, with multiple layers...worst case would be beauty retouching where files can get to ~4gb.

My PC at the moment can handle these fairly well, but I've had some hiccups ranging from a little to a lot slower with the same workflow but editing for clients with 50mp and even 80mp files. I'd like to future proof the system as I'll most likely be upgrading my body to a 45mp one by New Years as well and I expect more and more clients will be sending higher resolution files as the megapixel wars rage on in the industry.

The big iffy question is I'm now starting to shoot video with a GH5, and I'm not 100% sure if anything I have is ideal or even what would be best to upgrade to keeping in mind retouching and photography are most important but I'd like to be able to work with the video files quicker (Resolve is slow on playback, and exporting. Might look into Premiere eventually and just do grading in Resolve). I also play games from time to time, and while my gaming has decreased lately I'd still like the times I do play to be able to enjoy graphic settings in the high-range. Lately playing Rainbow Six Siege is ok (70-80fps) at mid-high settings, Deux Ex Mankind Divided, Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain, and Tomb Raider 2 are all exercises in futility (avg 40fps) unless all the settings are bottomed out (4k monitor possibly? In 1080 they were all 80-100fps).

Current setup:
i7 7700K (with Corsair H100i cooler)
Gigabyte GA-Gaming B8 motherboard
32gb Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz
GTX-1060 6gb video card
256gb SSD for operating system and programs (Photoshop, Lightroom, Davinci Resolve, etc)
500gb SSD for games
4tb 7200rpm drive for storage
850w PSU
Asus MX27UC 4k monitor

What I'm considering:
Keeping the i7-7700k
GTX-1080 TI FTW3 Hybrid
ASUS ROG Strix Z270e
64gb Ballistic Strix ram
Corsair HX1200i PSU
2x Samsung 500gb m2 ssds
2x 10gb 7200rpm drives for video and photo (brand?)

Would this be somewhat future proof as I head into video work? As a photographer a lot of jobs are leaning towards having someone who is also a videographer, so I'm diving headfirst into it and expect it to likely become a big part of my work this upcoming year. I know the setup should handle photoshop/lightroom well, since my current setup is pretty good as is and 36->45mp isn't that big a jump. My main concern is video and speeding up some of the slower filters in Photoshop and renders in Lightoom.

I saw a post a couple weeks ago on a forum where it was suggested someone go with a Ryzen 1950x and RX Vega 64xtx. I'm not opposed to AMD, I had an FX-8320 for a couple years that did ok for the cost (although the i7 does seem to put it to shame now). I looked into pricing a similar setup to the other one, but with 128gb instead and it worked out to be almost the same price. Then I started reading up on the new Ryzen's and there seems to be a lot of complaints about them and issues with motherboards. Also, there isn't much info out there on the RX Vega cards compared to the tried and true GTX-1080s. Any thoughts?

Basically, TL:DR
Photographer/Retoucher wants to future proof PC, and also get more heavily invested in video editing. Must handle raw files with multiple layers for 45 and even up to 80mp images in Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom, and must handle 4k video editing in Resolve and likely Premiere/AfterEffects. What in my current system if anything can I keep? Should I go with my option 1? Or is the AMD route better overall? Budget-wise, I'm expecting to settle a non-fault accident in the next couple weeks so I'm open to ideas. Maybe 3-4k?

Solution
Some good reads: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-8600K-i3-8350K-1047/

64 gb is recommended for 4k editing, you may want to consider 8700k. It provides solid editing upgrade but much cheaper than x99 or x299 or TR.
Some good reads: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-8600K-i3-8350K-1047/

64 gb is recommended for 4k editing, you may want to consider 8700k. It provides solid editing upgrade but much cheaper than x99 or x299 or TR.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS