[SOLVED] Advice on Pr/AE/Blender workstation upgrade

May 15, 2022
Premiere editor here looking to upgrade my workstation. My timelines are often 4K with lots of linked AE comps and GPU-accelerated effects such as Lumetri. I'm also a heavy After Effects and Blender user. Performance and render times have gotten increasingly slower as projects get larger and more complicated. Current build consists of:

Ryzen 7 2700x CPU
GTX 1080 GPU
X470 MSI Gaming Plus MB
64GB RAM
All SSD internal drives

Currently looking at upgrading to Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core (rather than switching to Intel and upgrading the MB), as well as a RTX 3080 GPU. Thoughts on these options? Better alternatives? Stay with AMD or switch to Intel?

All feedback appreciated ~

Solution
Not much difference in productivity between Intel and AMD current gen. chips. AMD is better in some apps too, and since you already have the base for it I don't see any point changing to Intel. 5900x or 5950x would be a good choice depending on your workload. MSI X470 Gaming Plus is a decent quality board with adequate VRM to handle the 12/16 core processors. Make sure you have a robust cooler to support it.

Same with 3080. Depending on workload, that might be a good upgrade.
Not much difference in productivity between Intel and AMD current gen. chips. AMD is better in some apps too, and since you already have the base for it I don't see any point changing to Intel. 5900x or 5950x would be a good choice depending on your workload. MSI X470 Gaming Plus is a decent quality board with adequate VRM to handle the 12/16 core processors. Make sure you have a robust cooler to support it.

Same with 3080. Depending on workload, that might be a good upgrade.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS