Discussion Advice on processor/motherboard upgrade

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
So currently what I have is this: processor i7-8700 3.2 ghz - 4.6ghz (turbo)
motherboard: b360 gaming 3 wifi , RAM 1x16gb (can go to 3200 mhz but the MB max freq is 2666mhz)
GPU: RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

Tbh I expected more performance from this rig but I'm not sure I'm getting all the performance I can from it, for example if I play control (the game) on ultra 1080P + raytracing , I'd get around 70-80 fps maybe drops to 60-50 frames sometimes, one other game that's been annoying me with its performance, WZ: I have custom settings but I'd say it's almost Low settings (except for texture and something else on Normal) and I'd be getting average 80 fps and sometimes that drops too. Meanwhile my friend who's having a Ryzen 3600 is getting 100+ frames on high/ultra settings, I keep thinking it's my processor that's bottlenecking or perhaps its not that powerful but I'm not sure that's the case. So I was thinking about upgrading my processor and perhaps switching to AMD, however I've never bought an AMD processor or any other AMD product before and I've no idea what's really good and what's not but from seeing benchmarks I was going for the Ryzen 5800X, but it's more expensive than the i7-11700k and both is said to have almost the same performance. What should I do?

D

Deleted member 362816

Gaming wise hard to beat a 5600x + b550 motherboard with 3200+ mhz ram. Feel free to google some benchmarks.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Gaming wise hard to beat a 5600x + b550 motherboard with 3200+ mhz ram. Feel free to google some benchmarks.
But I always wondered when comparing between intel, for the example the 5800X is almost the same in performance as an i7-11700K(or KF) yet the intel one is cheaper than the AMD one, so what do you think performance vs value wise the best cpu+mb to get?

D

Deleted member 362816

But I always wondered when comparing between intel, for the example the 5800X is almost the same in performance as an i7-11700K(or KF) yet the intel one is cheaper than the AMD one, so what do you think performance vs value wise the best cpu+mb to get?

When it comes to strict gaming I can only recommend is a 5600x, I personally do not have a opinion on the 5800x because we do not sell them in our systems for gaming because in our test we have found no gains worth the increased price.

Sorry, hopefully someone else can weigh in.