Question Advice on protection software

Jun 22, 2022
Hiya, I'm building a new PC and looking to install some protection software. I currently have McAfee LiveSafe on my laptop. My usage for the PC will be primarily Animation applications and occasional online gaming, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

In addition to the above, establish a back up plan for your data and run it as frequently as needed.

Unless your time is extremely valuable such that any downtime is expensive, I don't see a reason to spend money on protection software. If you have a serious malware infection, just reinstall the OS. Your backup is what keeps you from losing (much) progress.

USAFRet

Titan
In addition to the above, establish a back up plan for your data and run it as frequently as needed.

Unless your time is extremely valuable such that any downtime is expensive, I don't see a reason to spend money on protection software. If you have a serious malware infection, just reinstall the OS. Your backup is what keeps you from losing (much) progress.
And with a proper backup plan, 'reinstall the OS' isn't even a thing.

Full drive backups.

I could recover the C drive on any of my systems, all data and installed software included, in about an hour.

Hiya, I'm building a new PC and looking to install some protection software. I currently have McAfee LiveSafe on my laptop. My usage for the PC will be primarily Animation applications and occasional online gaming, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, kill McAfee with fire.
Next install BitDefender (or at the very least paid Adware and/or MS Defender)

Windows incremental backups to external drive on a NAS should be adequate. But there are tons of great online backup services that are better than McAfee

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Avast free antivirus is a really good secondary measure. The free version also has a mail shield, an app shield and a web shield that scans your pc and activity in real time. It also has an option to suppress notifications during full-screen applications or all together. If you do web browsing, I would still install a secondary measure on top of MS Defender.