[SOLVED] Advice on quality replacement laptop keyboard

Maineman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I need advice on what manufacturers make a quality keyboard to replace the keyboard on an ASUS Q552U laptop. ASUS will repair/replace the keyboard but require an $85 diagnostic fee plus parts and installation; way too expensive. ASUS does not sell internal replacement parts. They refer you to 3rd party retailers such as Amazon, BestBuy, B&H, Newegg, and Frey's. Looks like no one sells genuine ASUS keyboards. Does anyone know if ASUS makes their own keyboards or who supplies their OEM keyboards? A recommendation on a quality 3rd party vendor would help.

Solution
Most laptop chassis are developed independently and sold to various 'OEMs' with custom branding. ASUS would handle the PCB design and construction in all likelihood and assembly would also be a third party.

You aren't likely to get a manufacturer name on parts like those until you have one in hand.

Considering the price of a laptop keyboard, a bad one won't set you back too much and it will at least work and extend the useful life of your laptop.

If you want the real deal, I suggest finding a broken Q552U and buying that.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Most laptop chassis are developed independently and sold to various 'OEMs' with custom branding. ASUS would handle the PCB design and construction in all likelihood and assembly would also be a third party.

You aren't likely to get a manufacturer name on parts like those until you have one in hand.

Considering the price of a laptop keyboard, a bad one won't set you back too much and it will at least work and extend the useful life of your laptop.

If you want the real deal, I suggest finding a broken Q552U and buying that.

Solution

Maineman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks for the good suggestions. Most of the keys in the first row have to be held down a little longer than the others to make them work. Replacement backlit keyboards run from about $12-$30 by different manufacturers. I will check craigslist for broken ASUS laptops that use the same keyboard. Failing that I will buy a $30 version from one of the authorized vendors. Thanks for your help.