[SOLVED] Advice on reinstalling Windows

reetk91

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
Hello. I've had some problems with my Windows 10 in the way that it couldn't find new updates because of an error. I've tried fixing it using methods found online but with no result. So I finally decided, as a last resort, that I needed to reinstall the OS.

The part that annoyed me the most about having to reinstall Windows is that I (like everyone else) have so many programs and documents on the machine that it would take me a lot of precious time to set everything back to how it used to be.
I'm currently running the OS on an SSD, accompanied by a HDD to store data and programs.

My question is: can I simply reinstall the OS on the SSD, keeping everything intact on the HDD? Will there be any problems regarding things like registries or what not? Could certain programs/games malfunction?

If so, what would be your best approach to this kind of problem?
Thank you for your time.

Solution
You can't keep things intact. A clean Windows install means a clean registry. Programs that require registry entries to work, won't. They have to be reinstalled. The safest way to do a clean install is to buy a new SSD and do the install on the new disk. Then use your old disks for data storage only. Your documents and files will be available but programs will have to be reinstalled. If you choose to have a new SSD plus your old disks, only have the new SSD connected to the PC when you do the install to ensure Windows is not confused about the installation.

USAFRet

Titan
If you do a clean install in the SSD, any programs you've installed on the HDD are null and voind. The majority of them will not work.
You'll be starting with a clean slate.

Docs and all that are OK, but any references/shortcuts to them would be gone with the new OS.

Win 10 does have an option of "keep everything", which will (in theory) simply refresh the OS and keep all your current 'stuff' as it is.
This may or may not work.

So, let's consider a clean install as your last resort.
What, exactly, is the system not doing?

kanewolf

Titan
You can't keep things intact. A clean Windows install means a clean registry. Programs that require registry entries to work, won't. They have to be reinstalled. The safest way to do a clean install is to buy a new SSD and do the install on the new disk. Then use your old disks for data storage only. Your documents and files will be available but programs will have to be reinstalled. If you choose to have a new SSD plus your old disks, only have the new SSD connected to the PC when you do the install to ensure Windows is not confused about the installation.

Solution

reetk91

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

Windows 10 Pro v1803 build 17134.345
I've searched online for that exact error code and found some fixes regarding some Windows Update services, some scans for corrupted files (which have actually been found) and other possible workarounds the system, none of them having worked.
I really appreciate your interest in my problem, but think I'll go with the classic solution.
Thank you.