[SOLVED] Advice on replacement power supply for HP ENVY 750-150xt ?

Sep 8, 2020
I need to replace the power supply on my HP ENVY 750-150xt. I looked at an EVGA W1 500 watt PSU. However, the HP motherboard's big connector has 12x2 pins and the equivalent connector on the EVGA has 10x2 pins.

It has been about 30 years since I personally replaced a PSU, so I don't know much about it.

I don't need a lot of watts and I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Will the EVGA work with the different HP connector? If not, what is one similar to this that will?

Solution
It turns out that I don't think the PSU was causing my problem of the computer not starting. I was adding in a SSD SATA drive, and then the computer usually wouldn't start. There is a green light on the PSU - usually on when it is plugged in, but often it was not on. If the light was not on, it wouldn't start. Then it got to where even if the green light was on, pressing the power button would very briefly spin the fans and the green light would go out, and it would stop. It was inconsistent for a while, but got where it would never start.

Right after I put the new PSU in, I tried the computer with just its old C drive, and it worked. Then I added the SATA SSD and it would not start! I thought that if the problem isn't the PSU...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
However, the HP motherboard's big connector has 12x2 pins
Think you mean that the motherboard uses a normal 24pin power connector for the motherboard, means that the W1 should work, but would really recommend to get a bit better quality. Guess you look for somehting not to expensive, but you might not need even a 500watt psu.

What other components in the pc?

Sep 8, 2020
They are mostly standard parts. But I saw that the 20-pin connector has a 2x2 connector to go next to it, for the 24-pin connectors. I got one today and it is working.

Sep 8, 2020
It turns out that I don't think the PSU was causing my problem of the computer not starting. I was adding in a SSD SATA drive, and then the computer usually wouldn't start. There is a green light on the PSU - usually on when it is plugged in, but often it was not on. If the light was not on, it wouldn't start. Then it got to where even if the green light was on, pressing the power button would very briefly spin the fans and the green light would go out, and it would stop. It was inconsistent for a while, but got where it would never start.

Right after I put the new PSU in, I tried the computer with just its old C drive, and it worked. Then I added the SATA SSD and it would not start! I thought that if the problem isn't the PSU, it is either the power button or the motherboard. I was looking to see if I could possibly replace the power button or perhaps bypass it, since the new PSU has a power switch. Well, the wires from the power button plug in right next to the SATA ports on the motherboard. I must have jiggled them loose when working with the SATA cables. That was several hours ago, and it seems to be OK now.

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution